PDA

View Full Version : getting fresh air........

puffdaddy_1
01/02/2005, 02:31 AM
Randy,

After doing the outside Air test, my ph went from 7.8 to 8.1! I do have a basement and am looking into a way to get fresh air into my tank. I have access to a window in my basement where I could pump fresh air in. The thing I am concerned about is the distance away from my tank I could get some fresh air. Is there an air pump that is strong enough that could pump from my basement up to my tank?? I am talking probably 20 feet from the sump. What would you suggest I do?

I appreciate your help

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/02/2005, 09:01 AM
After doing the outside Air test, my ph went from 7.8 to 8.1!

And doing the same test inside did not result in a rise?
There certainly are air pumps that can pump air that far, but I am hesitant to suggest it as the first option as it may have marginal results. The surface of the tank itself will still be exposed to elevated CO2 air, limiting the usefulness of piped in air.

Limewater may be a better bet for pH raising.

puffdaddy_1
01/02/2005, 11:01 AM
I did the inside test and the ph went from 7.8 to 7.6.

So, if I was to pipe fresh air into the tank, it would probably have marginal results because the surface of the tank is exposed to excess co2 in the room? What other options besides limewater do I have?

puffdaddy_1
01/02/2005, 12:04 PM
When you deliver limewater from your basement, do you keep your trash can sealed for 3 weeks? Is Limewater only good for 3 weeks?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 07:02 AM
I did the inside test and the ph went from 7.8 to 7.6.

OK, that pretty clear then. :)

So, if I was to pipe fresh air into the tank, it would probably have marginal results because the surface of the tank is exposed to excess co2 in the room

Yes.

What other options besides limewater do I have?

Not many. Limewater and high pH two part systems are good ways.

When you deliver limewater from your basement, do you keep your trash can sealed for 3 weeks? Is Limewater only good for 3 weeks?

It simply has it's normal trash can lid on it. It is good for three weeks with no significant depletion. Then it runs out. It would last longer and still be OK if I used it more slowly. This article shows the stability:

The Degradation of Limewater (Kalkwasser) in Air
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm