PDA

View Full Version : Im going crazy! Please help!

29GReef
01/01/2005, 10:50 PM
Hello
I have a 29 gallon reef, and the calcium is a mystery to me. When i use my calcium test, the level of calcium never changes! IT is always 500 mg/L. It hasnt changed in two months, and it scares me. In such a small tank, shouldnt i have to add calcium quite a bit? ANd if my calcium is wrong, wont that make my magnesium and alkalinity/hardess wrong too? If you could give me a quick lesson in chemistry that would be great. Thank you for your time.

gus1225
01/01/2005, 10:52 PM
What brand of test kits are you using?

bertoni
01/01/2005, 11:19 PM
Also, what is your alkalinity reading? Are you doing water changes or dosing anything?

This article might help:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

29GReef
01/02/2005, 01:41 AM
Hello
Sorry i didnt post more information the first time. My tank has been running for about four months now. I test for ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate(less than 20ppm), phosphate 0ppm, calcium500 mg/L, and hardness(ideal on test strip). I dose iodine, iodide, molybdenum & strontium, and essential elements. I havent added calcium for like two months now. I use a nutrafin calcium test. I run a fluval 204 canister filter and a cpr bak pak skimmer. I do a water change every week, about four gallons. I use marine bio sea salt, recommended by lfs.My sg is at 1.025. Temperature is 80 degrees. What else would you like to know? Thank you for your time.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/02/2005, 08:58 AM
It may be a faulty calcium kit. I'm not familiar with it.

When you say hardness, is that total hardness or carbonate hardness? Those are totally different things. Also, ideal on a test strip may not be a useful measure. I'd get a better alkalinity kit, such as from Sallifert, Seachem, Hach,or LaMotte. Low alkalinity will limit the use of calcium.

Also, if you are not adding any alkalinity supplements, then calcium can't really decline as the way it declines is to combine with alkalinity.

Have you measured the calcium in the fresh salt mix? Some (especially Oceanic) have so much excess calcium that additions from it may keep clacium high in a lower demand aquarium like yours. Calcium only moves upand down slowly,while alkalinity swings upand down much faster.

These articles may help:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (a summary general article)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

29GReef
01/02/2005, 12:35 PM
Hey
Can i use an alkalinity test strip for a pool? I live an hour away from the closest sw fish store, so that would help. So if i add alkalinity supplements(like part two of b ionic), should everything balance soon? Ill try to pick up a better test kit. OH and that reading was total hardness
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't try to use a pool kit without knowing more about it. It is measuring the same thing, but may not have the sensitivity in the proper range.

Using just an alkalinity supplement for a while is a fine idea. Once the calcium drops to 450 ppm, I'd use both parts equally.