PDA

View Full Version : Ive got...bugs?

adiliegro
12/31/2004, 11:05 PM
I KNOW these arent bugs, but I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of white "bugs" crawling on my tank glass. What are these and what do they mean? They are really very tiny and are like crawling on the glass. I thought they were tiny bubbles at first, but they move and stop and crawl at random. Is this good or bad?

Any ideas?

bertoni
12/31/2004, 11:11 PM
I would guess copepods, but possibly isopods. Amphipods are another common small creature. www.rshimek.com or Dr Shimek's forum have pictures.

They are usually a good sign.

adiliegro
12/31/2004, 11:20 PM
thanks, bertoni...I was thinking copepods, but im still not sure. I just know that they are teeny tiny and a lot of them. By saying they usually mean its a good thing, can you elaborate on why its a good thing? What do these guys do? Why do they get in my tank and how did they get there to begin with?

Sorry for all of the stupid questions, but Im learning.

kusanagiz
12/31/2004, 11:24 PM
haha i think there should be a thread sticked at the top of the forum where it says FAQ: "White Bugs".

adiliegro
12/31/2004, 11:43 PM
lol...I would agree. When I forst saw it, they freaked me out. Wasnt sure what it was and was worried about my fish...lol. It just so happens that I read a thread earlier about pods and had a feeling that is what i had.

We do need a sticky though.

bertoni
01/01/2005, 08:44 PM
The various crustaceans arrive in live rock, live sand, etc. They are a good food source for various fishes, etc, and indicate the tank is doing reasonably in terms of water quality. They eat various leftovers and phytoplankton, too, I think, so feeding is useful.

Chuckthecat
01/01/2005, 10:06 PM
Hi there! Yep.... I got the same.... it freaked me out!!!! But my friend told me they're pods and it means your tank is maturing. I believe him. :)

sarduci
01/01/2005, 11:06 PM
It's a good thing that you see them. They are just smaller life forms that live in your tank. They provide food for larger creatures, fish and corals. Feeding phytoplankton to the tank will feed them, and also give the tank something to let the even smaller critters eat.

It's a good thing. If you didn't see them after a few weeks, then I'd be wondering how "alive" your live sand is.

ftlaud101
01/12/2005, 08:31 AM
Yes I saw them yesterday too in my new reef and was concerned.
I glad they are "good" bugs.
I found 3 aptasia on a piece of live rock and removed them.