PDA

View Full Version : HIGH Phosphates

Antman
12/31/2004, 03:59 PM
Hello ~
So I am using a seatest Kit to test me Phosphates and the test turne dark blue (darker than the test chip ) .
My tap water tested at 0.5 ish & the Tank water was higher than the chips 1.0
I do not use tap water I usr RO but did not have any made up to test.
Why would the Phosphates be so high in mt tank ?
Am I doing something wrong ? I just did a 10 Gal water change yesterday on a 54 gal tank .
Thanks
Amm 0.1
Nitrite0
PH 8.2
Nitrate 40 Temp 78
Please advise

wahshk
12/31/2004, 04:19 PM
Phosphate can rise from many sources. Fish food is number one source. Decaying algae is another. Try to do more frequent water changes (30%) every 2 days for a week to bring it down. You may also get a phosphate sponge. Just my 0.04 cent.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 04:49 PM
There are lots of good ways to export phosphate, the best of which include growing macroalgae and skimming. Water changes don'thelp much. Some folks also like to use phosphate binding media, such as the iron media that I detail here:

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

Other aspects of phosphate are detailed here:

Phosphorus: Algaeā€™s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

wahshk
12/31/2004, 06:14 PM
Very well said Randy. 100% agree. Nothing better than harvesting macros for controlling the phosphate naturally. I also use RowaPhose and phospan half the recommended and working like a charm.

Antman
12/31/2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks - is one macroalgae better at this than another ?I just added a fist full of chaetomorpha to my tank - I have no room for a fuge so I am looking at other options ( keep some in overflow box or sump with small light )

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/01/2005, 01:50 PM
Chaetomorpha is a good choice. I use it and Caulerpa racemosa. :)

Very well said Randy.

Thanks. :)

Antman
01/01/2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks - How much chaetomorpha will I need in a 54 gal reef tank (directly in the tank -no fuge ) to inprove water conditions ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/02/2005, 08:36 AM
Any that is growing will impove it. The more the better. About a square foot or more of Chaetomorpha surface area for your aquarium is a reasonable setup. That is as lot in the tank, and is why folks use refugia. Also, some fish eat it (like tangs).