PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to mix corals?

chrismunn
12/31/2004, 02:11 PM
im currently ready to start a 55 gallon reef. my hopes are to fill it with all sorts of corals, my question is : can i mix all types of corals, iverts, and anything else? is adequate lighting for some corals too much for others? and are there corals and\or inverts that just dont mix?

mfinn
12/31/2004, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't mix sps and leathers and the lighting requirements for each are different.

tanker
12/31/2004, 03:25 PM
Try to decide what you want first. Your lights, experience level, wallet, ect will eliminate some. Then go from there.

IMO a 55 is not a good tank for reefers, no depth (front to back) space. A 60 is better. You want the front to back room for rocks and coral. :)

Gargausius
12/31/2004, 10:46 PM
Mixing all sorts of corals is a disaster in the making. Some corals can be mixed, but only if they're from the same habitats. Of course there are even some corals that do occur in the same habitats that are not recommended to be put together in the hobby. Figure out what you want and go from there.

bertoni
12/31/2004, 10:49 PM
I would recommend Eric Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals". I think it'll save you a lot of grief.

ab5ebdxer
12/31/2004, 11:18 PM
Some corals have defenses that do not do well with other corals. Some soft corals for example are know to release certain toxins that some SPS corals do not do well with.

cwegescheide
12/31/2004, 11:24 PM
I know a lot of people that have a mix.. Myself included. Now I will say I havent been doing the mix thing too long.. I like the movement of the softies and the colors of the sps. I have been able to find and keep a few really nice softies that have alot of color but I wish there were more colors other than neon green. I will say that I wish I would have kept the zoo's off my rocks though... Anything that encrusts is a PIA IMO...