PDA

View Full Version : Anything used by the airlines dangerous to marine fish?

fish100
12/31/2004, 09:24 AM
No, I'm not dumping jetfuel into my tank, but, I was concerned about anything used for baggage that might be harmful to fish. I asked in general, but realize this is probably the better place to ask.

Boomer
12/31/2004, 12:16 PM
I can't think of anything. The fish in shipping are usually well protected. The real issue with airlines would be holding temp and holding time before you get them. I should also include damaged bags from poor handling.

Muttling
12/31/2004, 01:33 PM
I'm with Boomer, temperature would be my biggest concern and that really depends on what airport you're going through. A flight that has a very long delay between connections (either scheduled or unscheduled) can leave the lugage sitting on a trailer on the tarmack for hours. That's pretty serious if it's at Chicago's Ohare or Boston's Login or......

If you're doing the traveling, you could always take it as a carry on. Just be sure to put it in a cardboard box or pull along suitcase so it can easily go through the x-ray machine.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 04:39 PM
Certain international flights often spray for insects. That could be a problem, especially for inverts.

fish100
12/31/2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks all. I just got nervous. My stuff arrived fine (at least as far as I could tell. Even the corners were intact. In great shape even. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/01/2005, 10:08 AM
That's great. :)

Happy Reefing. :)