PDA

View Full Version : Another Kalkwasser mixing question.

artmusic247
12/30/2004, 09:49 AM
If I put 2 tbl spoons of kalkwasser in a container with water, mix it, let it sit for a few hours. Syphon out the clear water. Add more water to the remaining settled kalkwasser, mix it, let it sit for a few. Syphon out the clear water. Would this be the same as mixing 4 tbl spoons of kalkwasser in one pass or is this trying to squeeze 16oz. of juice out of an 8oz. orange?

I think it is such a waste to get 50% out of something and throw away the rest just because it cheap.

Thanks, Dean.

romunov
12/30/2004, 10:55 AM
I rather like the way TRandy handles his kalkwasser (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm). :D

jfinch
12/30/2004, 03:35 PM
When you add kalkwasser to water it will dissolve to the point where the water is saturated. At that point no more will dissove. CO2 dissolved in the water used to mix up the kalkwasser will react with the dissolved kalk and form calcium carbonate (CaCO3) which is a solid and will not dissolve. So the solids that settle out in your kalkwasser container are undissolved kalkwasser and CaCO3. You can keep decanting the clear solution and adding more fresh water and it will continue dissolving more kalkwasser until all the kalkwasser is dissolved. But there will always be some CaCO3 that settles and does not dissolve. You can tell by conductivity (best) or pH (so so) how much kalkwasser is there.

I have to add kalk to my kalk dispenser about every week but I don't empty/wash it out for months at a time. HTH.

artmusic247
12/31/2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks.

nathansdad04
12/31/2004, 07:37 AM
I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but I would definitely NOT remix the stuff that settles on the bottom of your container. It's full of all of the 'bad stuff' that precipitates out of the solution. I'm also a fan of letting it settle for 24 hours or longer. Ms Wages pickiling lime is $1.85 for a large can so your throwing away just fractions of a penny's worth.
Just my 2 cents

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 09:12 AM
I agree that you can reuse undissolved calcium hydroxide, but do not assume that all solids there are calcium hydroxide. Other insoluble stuff can settle out, and won't redissolve (and you don't necessarily want it to).

I reuse the soilids, and let the residue accumulate for a few months. If it gets discolored, I'd toss it. If it stays white, I'd still clean it out once every few months or so.