PDA

View Full Version : pH too high

spyro
12/29/2004, 10:48 PM
Randy,

I am currently using a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor.
I only run the kalkwasser reactor at night in conjunction with a Reef Filler pump for top-off.

Over the last 4 years I have had no problems with this. However, after moving all of my equipment to a fishroom in my garage, along with a larger sump (150 gal vs 50 gal) my pH tends to run too high. My pH peaks at 8.6 during the day !

Recently, I have stopped filling my kalkwasser reactor and the pH is running between 8.1 at night and 8.4 during the day. My calcium is at 425 and my alkalinity is aroungd 10 dKH. My question is this: Assuming my pH, alkalinity, and Calcium are all at optimum values, do I really need to run the kalkwasser reactor ? What would I lose by not using kalkwasser?

Thanks!

spyro
12/30/2004, 04:08 PM
bump...

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 08:22 AM
No need to bump. I've been travelling for the past few days so things have been a bit slower.

If all of the parameters stay high enough, there is no need for the reactor. Perhaps you get enough aeration with outide air with the garage setup. So I'd try it and see what happens. Typically the limewtaer when used with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor is just to keep up the pH, although it obviously does add calcium and alkalinity.

If you only need a little, you can use the Nilsen reactor, and only stir it once a day, or twice, or not at all, or whatever keeps the pH where you want it.

spyro
01/03/2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
No need to bump. I've been travelling for the past few days so things have been a bit slower.

If all of the parameters stay high enough, there is no need for the reactor. Perhaps you get enough aeration with outide air with the garage setup. So I'd try it and see what happens. Typically the limewtaer when used with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor is just to keep up the pH, although it obviously does add calcium and alkalinity.

If you only need a little, you can use the Nilsen reactor, and only stir it once a day, or twice, or not at all, or whatever keeps the pH where you want it.

spyro
01/03/2005, 01:09 AM
Thanks Randy !

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 09:07 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck!