PDA

View Full Version : Ph 7.6???Why so low?

Diesel3443
12/29/2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Randy I posted in the zeovit forum already but I wanted to get your opinion on this. I would like to know what might be causing this. My alk is 7.5 dkh which is run on the low end of the scale duew to Zeo. All inhabitants look heathy fish and SPS. I don t run a cal reactor. I do not think it is due to accumulated co2. What could be causing this?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/30/2004, 08:10 AM
Why do you not think it is CO2? Low pH at normal carbonate alkalinity is always due to elevated CO2, although the CO2 can come from a varietyof different places.

You might check this article:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Diesel3443
12/30/2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks Randy im trying the airation test now. Ill post the results as soon as it is done. Now if this is the problem, I cant use limewater to raise ph because of alk, is the only other way to try the skimmer trick? I ask because I have no access to the outside with a skimmer. And on avg. it is over 85 degrees outside 90% of the time down here and my wife wont like the windows being open most of the time.

grim
12/30/2004, 03:07 PM
What is your current calcium/alkalinity supplementation scheme?

jb

jfinch
12/30/2004, 03:20 PM
My alk is 7.5 dkh which is run on the low end of the scale duew to Zeo.

Is that because the Zeovit system recommends it or is it a result of using it? Just curious.

Diesel3443
12/30/2004, 03:37 PM
Zeovit reccomends running your dkh close to natural seawater. Not a higher alk like most use in an sps tank

grim--I use bionic for suppement right now until my bioload becomes greater

I just finished airating outside and sure enough ph goes up to 8.15 . What are some of the solutions to fix this

grim
12/30/2004, 04:30 PM
You can try using kalk instead of bionic, that should give you a small pH boost throughout the day. Or, make sure you are adding b-ionic at the lowest pH of the day (usually morning) or shortly before.

You either need to lower your indoor co2 or increase your alkalinity. That's it, pick one and go with it.. :)

Unfortunately, the zeo-nist manifesto states you must run low alkalinity, so, it seems your choice has already been made for you.

jb

jfinch
12/30/2004, 04:36 PM
As grim suggests, use as much kalkwasser as your system will handle. Make up the difference (if needed) with bionic. IME, reducing indoor CO2 is a losing battle unless you live in a mild climate.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 08:25 AM
Now if this is the problem, I cant use limewater to raise ph because of alk, is the only other way to try the skimmer trick?

You should be able to use limewater without the alkalinity getting too high by swapping it out for the B-ionic as suggested above.