12/29/2004, 04:11 PM
Ozone:

O=O-O <--> O-O=O

very unstable, avg. lifespan 30 minutes
very powerful oxidizing agent
breaks down dissolved organics
water becomes crystal clear
will kill waterborne pathogens

..at least that is what I have learned so far from searching RC. I am adding a 50mg AquaZone today to clear up my water a little. I put in an ORP probe to see what my levels are like before the ozone, and it is hovering around 300 mV. I would like to shoot for 380 mV.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/30/2004, 08:05 AM
We do discuss the chemistry of ozone a lot. I don't use it, and am presently more concerned about possible undesirable side effects of it and is byproducts than I want its benefits, but others do use it and are often happy with it.

Here's a recent thread on it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=492733

Boomer
12/30/2004, 11:04 AM
Did you read all these Joel, you missed allot :D

http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=4199964&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

joelsaxton
12/30/2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
We do discuss the chemistry of ozone a lot. I don't use it, and am presently more concerned about possible undesirable side effects of it and is byproducts than I want its benefits, but others do use it and are often happy with it.

Here's a recent thread on it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=492733

I am guessing you use carbon at least?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/31/2004, 08:09 AM
I do use carbon now, but up until about 6 months ago, I did not regularly use it. Skimming alone has kept my tank clear enough. I've recently become more and more concerned about the toxic effects of certain organics in the water, and so now use more carbon, and might even consider ozone in the future when my big tank is up. :)

fish100
12/31/2004, 09:21 AM
Hehe. The can of worms.

Kills pathogens, and humans and their tanks at high enough levels. Likely you'd be hard presses to kill yourself with a hobbyist ozonizer, but IIRC, you can give yourself a wicked headache, and a doozy sorethroat.

mmm is it bromates in the water which carbon won't remove and kill things deader then dead, or something else?

I'm not going to knock O3 use, in fact I'm probably going to get a new ORP meter soon (which can be knocked in itself) to watch for the so called "trend", but I don't think I'll be bothered to run ozone.

I'm sure with a lot of safety, or an unnatural sterile aquarium like a large barebottom with large fish o3 can be of great import, but there is no one solution. 03 cant be used alone.

Boomer
12/31/2004, 11:20 AM
mmm is it bromates in the water which carbon won't remove and kill things deader then dead, or something else?

It is the reason behind using carbon with ozone, to remove bromine / "bromate"

I'm sure with a lot of safety, or an unnatural sterile aquarium like a large barebottom with large fish o3 can be of great import

It can also be used on a reef tank and it won't sterilize it, the level is not high enough. Your skimmer will remove/kill more things in the water column than ozone at normal dosages.

you can give yourself a wicked headache

Not if you post treat the vented skimmer air with carbon.