PDA

View Full Version : .RAF .RAW Help (Fuji S7000 & PS7)

sumphead
12/29/2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks in advance. I have normally shoot using JPG formats and have since done a lot of reading on the benefits of shooting in .RAW. However after setting the camera to RAW imaging the pic files are saved as .RAF and I cannot open them in PS7. *shrugs* I have a new little reefer baby due anyday now and want to figure this out as soon as possible. Thanks again.

R-

gho
12/29/2004, 03:17 PM
RAW is just a generic term. Nikon calls RAW files NEF, Canon calls them CRW.

You can't open RAW files in PS7 without a plugin (Adobe RAW converter). The plugin costs about 100USD. If you're going to go that route, you may as well upgrade to PS CS for around 150USD. the latest version of ARC supports your camera so it should work for you.

Your camera also came with a RAW converter on a CD - Is called Fujifilm RAW Converter. Do you have the LE version or the EX version?

I highly recommend you using the Fujifilm RAW Converter EX as it does a superior job over Adobe RAW Converter.

sumphead
12/29/2004, 08:38 PM
Hey thanks Greg, I never looked at the actual CD thinking I would only use my reader and open with PS. Stupid me, thanks for clarifying. I have the LE V1.1 Any pointers? And are there indeed greater benefits in shooting in RAW. I am a novice at best but laerning rapidly.

Thanks,
R-

gho
12/29/2004, 08:55 PM
Hey thanks Greg, I never looked at the actual CD thinking I would only use my reader and open with PS
No problem!

I have the LE V1.1 Any pointers?
Yeah, don't even bother installing it. Get a hold of the EX version.

And are there indeed greater benefits in shooting in RAW.
YES! But you won't get any of the benefits using the LE converter. Some of the benefits are described in this link (http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/lesson07/workflow.html).

I am a novice at best but laerning rapidly.
I've been doing this for years and still learning, but I'm a little slow with things so it takes me a while to figure stuff out. Be sure to ask lots of questions - I do :)

sumphead
12/30/2004, 12:59 AM
WOW, great info. I see what you mean about the LE, it converts it to an 8 bitt TIFF very SLOWLY i might add. I am learning quickly...

Thanks for the link.

R-