PDA

View Full Version : Dosing-Randys Homemade Ca KH

JMonaco
12/29/2004, 10:29 AM
I have a question in regard of combining the two part solution together in a fresh water reservoir and drip into the sump. Or does this dosing have to be kept separate. This is using the Dowflake and Baking Soda.

What about lime water using the Mississippi Lime , does any other additive for KH have to be added? IM just a little dizzy from reading, sorry.

IM looking for a cheap, effective way, to dose from 1 reservoir, that will last at least a week.

120 gallon, 20 gl refuge, and right now a 12gl reservoir. Reef tank with 100lbs rock, sand bed, agranite bed in fuge, soft corals and fish.

JMonaco
12/29/2004, 07:38 PM
OK, maybe someone can tell me this! I went to HD to buy either the Mississippi Quicklime or the Dowflakes. They do not sell them, they told me the quicklime had something to do with the new EPA standards. But is there anyone in the Palm Beach County area, that uses this stuff, please get in touch with me or is there anyone that buys this stuff in Palm Beach, Broward, Martin Counties - let me know where. Thanks..

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/30/2004, 08:17 AM
Or does this dosing have to be kept separate.

They must be kept seperate. That is why they are always two part systems. Combinging them will turn them into a mud of calcium carbonate precipitate.

{B]What about lime water using the Mississippi Lime , does any other additive for KH have to be added? IM just a little dizzy from reading, sorry.[/B]

Limewater can be a fine stand alone system, as long as the demand is not at the high end of SPS aquaria. It is basically all that I use.

Home Depot never sells Mississippi Lime, as far as I know. They sometimes sell Dowflake, depending on the part of the country you are in.