PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Relief

looser
12/28/2004, 11:27 PM
There are a couple of other threads going regarding the effect of the Asian disaster on our hobby and the reefs in general, but I don’t think too many of us would disagree the more dire issue is the immediate effect of this unsurpassed disaster on human life. And given it occurred in a part of the world that provides much of the live stock for our hobby I think the effect on human life and the effect on our hobby and the reefs cannot be separated. I also believe that we as a community have the ability to do something about it. If you disagree than that’s fine, its JMHO. So here’s the deal. I will match the first $100 that is contributed the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Not only that. My employer will match the first $100 that I contribute. So, if you contribute $10, I will contribute $10, and my employer will contribute $10. Your basically tripling your contribution.

Here’s the address. http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

The honor system is only way to do this that I can think of so just post your contribution here. Lets see what we can do to help.

Thanks.

looser
12/29/2004, 09:09 AM
OK If your in this hobby you gotta have $10 to spare. Anyone? You can PM me if you don't want to post here. I don't even care if you don't want to donate to the Red Cross. Here’s a list of other charities that you can use. I'll still match you with a donation to the Red Cross. Doesn’t anyone want to help?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/index.html

looser
12/29/2004, 03:03 PM
Wow. This is pretty sad. It makes you wonder. :confused: Can't someone at least lie to me and tell me their going to make a contribution? I don't get it?

skier06
12/29/2004, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately, while I'm sure many support what you are doing, it might not be the right discussion area to do it in. there are many current discussions in the Lounge group

jthnhale
12/29/2004, 03:54 PM
I think ANY forum should be okay having at least a link, and or reminder for people to help out. I was on this site for a while before I even looked in the lounge section. There are many sites now where people can contribute, here's a couple more,
http://www.usaid.gov/
https://www.unicefusa.org/site/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=duLRI8O0H&b=277271&en=kpJKKMOqH5JBJSNEJbLCLNPwHnIXJ4NBIiITIXPsF8KPIaI
for the price of a fish or new coral you can make a difference to some of the people who are suffering! looser, don't give up, give people time.

skier06
12/29/2004, 04:01 PM
I agree, was simply suggesting a reason for lack of response.

looser
12/29/2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks you guys. I was begining to wonder. Perhaps you are right and this thread is in the wrong place. I will check the lounge.

looser
12/29/2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks again guys. I didn't know how to move this thread so I just started another one in the lounge.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=495158

chet
12/29/2004, 04:54 PM
Thats why we all pay fed taxes for so that the gov. can donate to whoever country that needs it. I'm not being a hardass but the feds can take care of it. It is a tragic event but do you think India,sri linka,maldives and etc would donate to us if we had such an event doubtful! Just putting in my point of view. Look at france they donated 139k they really are single minded people. We even bailed there asses out in ww2 look what we get from them nothing...:smokin:

Chrismo
12/29/2004, 05:11 PM
Looser, I've donated $80 to worldvision.ca, if that makes you feel any better. :)

It's hard to compare the two tradgedies...
9/11 event got worldwide sympathy, and MORAL support. People aroud the world helped out stranded Americans when their flights would not get them home etc. The world did what it could to help, but there wasnt much financial aid neccesary or asked for from one of the wealthiest nations in the world. This event will have 50 times the death toll of 9/11. Help if you can. We're all just people.

looser
12/29/2004, 06:52 PM
chet: IMO this isn't about the U.S. or India, or Sri Linka, or Maldives. It's about people that are suffering and people that have the ability to help them. I don't know if you've ever traveled to that part of the world, but if you did you would know that most of them would give their shirts off theirs backs to help someone in need. Not like some places in the U.S. where people step over people in the street while they look at their watch to see if they are going to make it to their meeting on time. I’m no John Lennon but IMO forget the governments and country boarders. People are people.

Chrismo: THANK YOU!! I do feel better! I will add your amount to the total for my match.

ANYONE ELSE?

Blakperl21
12/29/2004, 07:53 PM
I've donated $20 to the Red Cross. I don't have that much money to spear as I'm putting myself through college, but I think that in a time like this the people that have been effected need it a lot more then I do. I feel like I can do without new zoos for a while if it means the money goes to someone in need.

looser
12/29/2004, 08:09 PM
Blakperl21: Your awesome! Sounds like you have your head screwed on straight. Which is more than I can say for myself when I was in college :). Best of luck to you.

I'm afraid that uses up my $100 match. When I include my employers match that’s $300. (This is the best $100 I've ever spent on this hobby). But please .. . . . keep the donations going!

Does anyone else want to offer matching funds?

Reeling Reefer
12/30/2004, 02:33 PM
Looser, I donated $30.00 to the red cross. Keep up the good work,if everyone gives a little it can make a big difference.

looser
12/30/2004, 02:56 PM
Reeling Reefer: Nice job guy. I still feel distraught over the disaster, but at least now I feel like we are doing something to help. And you’re right. It all adds up. Plus many of the charities buy in bulk and have lots of buying power because they buy in big quantities, so you might be surprised how many meals, or water purification tablets, or blankets, or antibiotics, our money will buy. Way to go!

lacie143
12/30/2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by chet
Thats why we all pay fed taxes for so that the gov. can donate to whoever country that needs it. I'm not being a hardass but the feds can take care of it. It is a tragic event but do you think India,sri linka,maldives and etc would donate to us if we had such an event doubtful! Just putting in my point of view. Look at france they donated 139k they really are single minded people. We even bailed there asses out in ww2 look what we get from them nothing...:smokin:

i agree completely. The amount of money that actual people donate does not even make a dent. The fed govt supplies almost all organizations with the bulk of their funding. Why dont u hit up george soros since he could give millions to the dem. campaign. IF he as a democrate is so conscened with human welfare, perhaps he should use his money a little better.

Jaffa
12/30/2004, 04:17 PM
I see this thread going in the wrong direction.:(

But every little bit helps!;)

looser
12/30/2004, 05:01 PM
lacie143: That’s funny, I thought I paid federal taxes so that the government could spend MY MONEY to provide services to ME AND MY FAMILY that my state, or my town, or that I couldn't provide for myself. Like a national defense. Not donate MY MONEY to charities of THEIR choosing. I would much prefer that my taxes be cut so that I could donate more. Or if it is felt to be in the nations best interest to be charitable at least give me some input on where MY MONEY goes. But I'm a democrat so what do I know. Here’s a tip for you. If you think it was divine intervention that your birthplace happen to be in the richest country in the world, and have no sense of responsibility to help anyone that wasn't, and don't want to be charitable, DON'T. So what if 100,000 "actual" people are dead and millions homeless, as long as your warm dry.

I'm sending the Red Cross another $50. That’s $200 from me. Thanks for the motivation.

Jaffa: Thanks for having your head and your heart in the right place. :) I wish I had your ability to keep things in perspective and keep a cool head. Sometimes ignorance just ****es me off.

Everyone Else: In the interest of doing good, and keeping this thread on track, if there is any rebuttal to my statement above I'm just going to ignore it. I promise. Please do the same.

Anyone else care to donate?

tomterreefic
12/30/2004, 05:23 PM
Looser: Outstanding! I believe this is how the donations should be handled. Everyone pitching in what they can or will. Not the gov, deciding where or how much. But that's another discussion. I'm donating $50 bucks to the Red Cross and my employer's matching. If the price of my weekly LFS trip can help to feed or clothe one parentless child, then I guess I can wait. Thanks for having the bio-balls to jump start this relief effort.

looser
12/30/2004, 05:32 PM
tomterreefic: Thanks. I appreciate the support. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY – NICE JOB ON THE $50 :D, I'm with you all the way:)

LETS KEEP IT GOING!!!

looser
12/30/2004, 06:07 PM
As I mentioned earlier I started this thread in the wrong forum so I stared another in the lounge forum. Now I have two threads going so I'm starting to feel like I have split personalities, but I just had to share this with everyone.

My employer just announced that in addition to a very generous corporate donation they will match 2 for 1 donations for disaster relief up to $2,500 per employee. I don't want sound like the company man but I'm so proud that I have to tell you who I work for. Verizon. I'm going to have a serious discussion with my wife tonight about a bigger donation.

By the way. That total match of $300 is now $600. :)

looser
12/30/2004, 06:18 PM
I'm not going to be able to find out until Monday, but there is a possibility that this offer is extended to "family and friends". As far as I'm concerned you’re all friends. I will follow up Monday, but it sure would be sweet if we could turn that $2,500 into $7,500.

The dent is getting a little bigger. :)

looser
12/30/2004, 06:23 PM
OK - I can't take this anymore. PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE. INSTEAD PLEASE GO TO THE FOLLOWING THREAD.

SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION.

lacie143
12/30/2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by looser
lacie143: That’s funny, I thought I paid federal taxes so that the government could spend MY MONEY to provide services to ME AND MY FAMILY that my state, or my town, or that I couldn't provide for myself. Like a national defense. Not donate MY MONEY to charities of THEIR choosing. I would much prefer that my taxes be cut so that I could donate more. Or if it is felt to be in the nations best interest to be charitable at least give me some input on where MY MONEY goes. But I'm a democrat so what do I know. Here’s a tip for you. If you think it was divine intervention that your birthplace happen to be in the richest country in the world, and have no sense of responsibility to help anyone that wasn't, and don't want to be charitable, DON'T. So what if 100,000 "actual" people are dead and millions homeless, as long as your warm dry.

I'm sending the Red Cross another $50. That’s $200 from me. Thanks for the motivation.

Jaffa: Thanks for having your head and your heart in the right place. :) I wish I had your ability to keep things in perspective and keep a cool head. Sometimes ignorance just ****es me off.

Everyone Else: In the interest of doing good, and keeping this thread on track, if there is any rebuttal to my statement above I'm just going to ignore it. I promise. Please do the same.

Anyone else care to donate?

if ur taxes arent what goes to aid organizations then where does it come from? The government is funded by taxes, so goventment funds are taxes.

MikeFoster
12/30/2004, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to say that even though the thread has moved, and it is a brilliant idea, this is really not the right place for this type of discussion. If you want to donate money to this deserving cause then there are far more appropriate places to do so. I especially feel insulted by chets comments about the French in WWII and the reference to saving their *** ! All I have to say is better late than never I guess......

Gie me a spark o' Nature's fire; That's a' the learning I desire. Robert Burns

looser
12/30/2004, 10:44 PM
lacie143: I understand that our money (taxes) is what funds the government. But, I just feel very strongly that we should be helping the people in need regardless of where they were born, or what the government decides to do. This is the worst natural disaster as far as loss of human life that the world has ever experienced. Personally I feel the need to help out. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

MikeFoster: Thanks for the support. I hope you don't take the word of few people as representative of the country.

Your both welcome to please join the other thread. I'm trying to raise $2,000 that my employer will match 2 for 1.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showt...threadid=495158

looser
12/30/2004, 10:50 PM
Sorry. That link didn't work for some reason. Here it is again.