PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock: Fiji or Florida

tedmonds
12/04/2001, 07:45 PM
What is everyone's opinion on what is the best live rock available. Specifically Fiji or Florida aquacultured rock. As always your opinions are highly regarded. Thanks!

:fun4:

jimroth
12/04/2001, 08:10 PM
Okay, I'll bite.
I-M-H-O
I prefer the Fiji, or let us say South Pacific rock.
Most of the organisms we keep are from that area, so it's consistant with the biotope.
Gulf rock can be very nice, but it's subtropical, temps get into the 50's out where it's collected/aquacultured. My tank is not subtropical.

Metaphase
12/04/2001, 08:44 PM
From what I've heard, "Fiji" rock is 1 1/2 to 2 times as porous as Florida rock! That means, the Fiji will fill up much, much more space! (less dense)=(more bang for your buck). Also what jimroth said is also very important too.

jayd
12/04/2001, 08:54 PM
I live in Florida and I have seen quite a bit aroud. The main problem(s) I've seen and heard with Florida rock is 1) Higher Density means more cost. 2) Mantis Shrimp. 3)Apistatia. Caribbean rock in general is full of little critters, and less dies off than with Figi but it's not all good.

DukeDog
12/04/2001, 10:10 PM
I agree also. Some of the fl rock dose look good but it is much more dense. If you can find some one localy that has both kinds of rock just pick up 2 pieces that are the same size and compare.
Jeff

belling
12/04/2001, 11:26 PM
We've had great success with a mix of florida rock and just plain old rock. The florida stuff is _covered_ with life (just one little baby mantis ;) ). There are about five different sponges thriving in the tank, some bright orange and some bright purple.

I'll never buy plain old harvested live rock. The thought of all this life sitting out on a pier dying makes me sick.

Good luck!

Jeff