PDA

View Full Version : Dead Coral

RichT
12/24/2004, 05:41 PM
I recently posted the same question in the New to Hobby form and they suggested I post it here. I was just given access to several boxes of long dead corals. I would like use it as base rock or several as host pieces. One member raised concerns about the history of the coral and the presence of copper. They also suggested I put the coral in a cure tub for several weeks. I would like to know if there is any way to test for sure the presence of copper or other undesirable substances. Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/25/2004, 10:29 AM
It is a reasonable concern if they were used in a system with copper added to treat fish.

I'm not sure how readily one can test them, since kits are not accurate down at the copper levels that one wants, but it is likely worth trying.

Here's what I would do. Get a copper kit. Then put a dead coral frag in a small amount of tank water (say, 1/2 cup). Add a teaspoon of vinegar and let the frag bubble for about 30 seconds. Then test the water for copper. Try the same test with no coralfrag to be sure thast any positive result is coming from the coral frag.

If you detect no copper, then I'd give them all a brief acid wash like that in the test (maybe a bit longer, like 5 minutes), and then use them. If you detect copper, then I might not use them, or I might give them an acid wash, then try testing again.

RichT
12/25/2004, 11:20 AM
By acid wash you are referring to the vinegar, correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/25/2004, 02:44 PM
Yes. Bear in mind, I've never done that myself. :D But the idea is to dissolve off a bit of the surface where the copper will mostly be.

RichT
12/25/2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks.....I will probably do that regardless of the history.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/26/2004, 05:24 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck and let us know what you find. :)