PDA

View Full Version : oyster eggs

Panch
12/24/2004, 02:24 PM
I went to my LFS today. The owner told me the new rage in feeding corals is oyster eggs. It comes in a small container, pasty looking. When put in the water , a pinch of it, looks cloudly, then dissolves readily.
Is anyone using this?:)

ReefDiver
12/24/2004, 05:12 PM
No I'm personally not using it but it sounds like as good a food source as any. After all, plankton is composed of all kinds of minute substances including larvae, ova of many different types, etc.. etc.... However, this should not be the only thing that is fed but rather just another supplimental food stuff. What name does this product have and where can it be ordered?

Meisen
12/24/2004, 05:27 PM
Hmm Reefdiver, you make a good point. Anyone else have opinions on this? I would like to hear more from Panch about it.....

mattseattle
12/24/2004, 06:29 PM
what is it called?

oh i see that DT's now has oyster eggs.

Panch
12/25/2004, 08:31 AM
I'll have to go back to the LFS to look up the brand. But a small container was $24.99!!!
I don't know if it's worth it.

roberts722
12/29/2004, 04:46 PM
The product is called DT's NAtural Reef Diet.

It does include oyster eggs. Eric has endorsed this product and has, I belive, photographs of an SPS colony actually feeding on the eggs.

This could be a very big step for our hobby. I just purchased my first batch ($20 at LFS) and will begin the dosing today!!

More to come on this subject I am sure.

Panch
12/29/2004, 05:02 PM
OK. Then I'm getting it.

menace
01/01/2005, 04:57 AM
$25 for small jar full. 1 fl. oz. Check on clamsdirect.com some talk about them there. with regards clams though. a bit bigger for clams but not sure for all else...I have not used them for coral feeding though. but expensive...

MiddletonMark
01/01/2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by roberts722
The product is called DT's NAtural Reef Diet.

It does include oyster eggs. Eric has endorsed this product and has, I belive, photographs of an SPS colony actually feeding on the eggs.

Where do you have it that Eric has endorsed this product?

Generally, Eric seems quite careful with product endorsement ... and I want to be sure that he's clearly stated that before other people claim it [as he's out recently].

FWIW, I'll still make my own blender-mush ala Eric's recipe. For the price and results ... hard to beat.

Too many new products every year to try more than one or two - before waiting a year to read reviews. Esp. when they're competing with my seafood store whose prices are much under $20/ounce.

Just my take, if you have more information I'd love to hear :)

locito277
01/26/2005, 03:13 PM
He endorses on the DT pamphlet. I havent purchased it yet due to the $$$$ but i did read the pamphlet...