PDA

View Full Version : Are there any non-aggressive clown species?

Doubledown
12/23/2004, 02:23 PM
I have 2 Cinnimon clowns in my tank - the larger of the 2 chases the smaller relentlessly. She also is very aggressive towards the other fish in the tank. Yesterday I came home to find a huge chunk of my wrasses tail missing and suspect it to be the clown.

I do like clownfish and would like to keep a pair, just not as aggressive. Can anyone recomemd a more docile and tank friendly clown?

How are the Ocellaris species (I'd like a pair of Black Os) or maybe Clarkii?

Thanks
Chris

Gary Majchrzak
12/23/2004, 03:37 PM
All anemonefishes get more aggressive whith age... especially when spawning. Clarkii are aggressive. The most passive species are the skunk types and ocellaris/percula.

roberts722
12/23/2004, 06:36 PM
From my own personal experience my pink skunks are pretty docile, almost skittish...

Doubledown
12/23/2004, 08:41 PM
Gary - What type of clown is in your avatar? Looks sweet!

showjet98
12/23/2004, 10:00 PM
Ill answer for him:) its a black variant of A. Polymnus (saddle clown)

Gary Majchrzak
12/24/2004, 11:27 AM
Jah- what he said.:D

Not very sweet or friendly, though- she bosses around my Tangs and will nip my hand. She's presently the "queen" of my reef aquarium.

JHardman
12/24/2004, 01:59 PM
To address the subject question, "Are there any non-aggressive clown species?"...

Its not that simple. You can not make broad sweeping assumptions based on species and have it be accurate all the time. Its kind of like saying dumb blonde, I am sure there are some, but I bet there is as many other dumb people with all kinds of hair color. ;)

You can make some baseline assumptions based on species, but the bottom line is that each fish or pair of clownfish will have their own personality and temperment.

Lets take three examples...

1) "Marons are large aggressive clownfish." This is the commonly thought assumption. However I have two pairs of GSM that have a horible bark virtually no bite. They would have you to think if that peice of glass wasnt between you and them you would dead on the spot. The truth is they are tame to the touch, yes the touch. I have had a little nip here and there, but every clownfish I have ever had has done that at one point or another. Junk yard dogs that are really just sweat little puppies.

2) "Skink complex are shy and none aggressive" is the common assumption. I have had skunks that went out of they way to inflict a nasty attack on me. Sure they tend to be shy and liked to hide from sight, but stick your hand in the tank and expect to get nailed every time.

3) "A. ocellaris are tame and timid." Wel the vast majority of my pairs are mean and nasty to the point that they will jump out of the water to get a bite on me. But I have a couple of pairs that sweat and nice.

So bottom line from my experiences... You are more likely to get a aggressive, mean, nasty clownfish from a species that has that reputation, BUT it is truely a fish by fish, pair by pair thing. Each one has it's own personality.

BTW, on spawning and aggression... I have seen it work both ways; take a tame and timid pair and turn them into monsters and I have seen monsters turn into tame and timid pairs once they start to spawn.

k_kagy
12/25/2004, 03:25 AM
Sounds about right. I have a pair of perculas that wouldn't hurt anything I put in the tank, or so it seems. Actually the male gets really excited when may hand is right next to him and he will clean away at his tile.
I had a pair of maroons that were scared of a stupid firefish.
Every clown like J said have very different tempers.

Gary Majchrzak
12/25/2004, 08:53 AM
I know they're out there, but I have yet to personally meet a friendly Maroon Clownfish. I was making a generalized statement- there's always exceptions to the norm. Merry Christmas, everyone!:)

xchrisjb
12/25/2004, 06:34 PM
Just to add another case against broad generalizations ... I have a female ocellaris that draws blood EVERY TIME I put my hand in the tank.

Hope everyone's having a Merry Christmas!

Doubledown
12/26/2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks all. It appears I will be removing the 2 Cinnimons that I have and will be on the lookout for Black Os or Onyx Percs (I think thats what they are called) to try again. I'll just get them a little smaller this time and hope for the best.

I do agree that fish are like people, each one has a different personality. We just have to find the right ones.

Chris

rtcpenguin
12/26/2004, 12:13 PM
I've had several ocellaris clowns and they've all been very timid both to me and other fish, except one, which I suspect might be a true percula. She nips at my hand, and attacked an ocellaris relentessly before I removed it.