PDA

View Full Version : Raising Calcium

danho
12/23/2004, 11:26 AM
Hey all, my current calcium is 340 (Salifert) and i am trying to increase that. My tank has approx. 125 total gallons and I am dosing Kent 2 part. According to the new reef dosing calculator it says that I need to dose 859 ml's of part 2 (BiOnic ESV is what i'm using in the calculator) 1/2 at a time. This seems like alot to me. If it's correct what else if anything can I expect to change (alk, ph, etc.).
I'm learning every day with this "hobby" so any help is appreciated. I also posted this in Reef Discussion, but I thought this would be better.
Dan.

BrookR1
12/23/2004, 12:35 PM
There are excellent articles by Randy Holmes-Farley at advancedaquarists.com. Do a search in the archives and you'll find what you're looking for. I used 2-part for a while and then switched over to the Kalk slurry method plus reef carbonate. It's just as easy and much cheaper...plus it gives you added control over Ca and Alk.

What's your Alk?

Also, what kind of salt do you use? When I switched from Instant Ocean to Oceanic, my Ca levels went up, but my Alk levels went down.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2004, 01:18 PM
Adding either the calcium part of B-ionic or just calcium chloride won't impact the other things much, unless the alkalinity is already unusually high. That calculation seems about right. :)

danho
12/23/2004, 08:06 PM
That's exactly the info I needed, thanks Randy.
Dan.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/24/2004, 08:42 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck! :)