PDA

View Full Version : Would like to get things started correctly

blusporttrac
12/23/2004, 11:22 AM
Ok, My 110G tank is getting so close. I have built my overflow box, sump, plumbed it and purchased RO/DI unit. I currently have 110lbs man made rock in the main tank and 35lbs in the sump. (2) 802 Power heads, Blue Line pump returning 1000-900 PGH on the sump.
Questions
How many inches of Southdown sand should I have in the main tank?
How many inches should I have in my refugeum or should I use the Mud in here?
What should I use to cycle the tank cocktail shrimp (1 or 2)? Or, Should I cycle a different way?

I know I have a lot of questions but I hate talking to the LFS because it seems the answer from them is $$$$ related.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/23/2004, 11:26 AM
Seed your live rock with some "real" stuff and you won't need anything else to kickstart the cycle.

The substrate questions you've asked are gonna spark a lot of debate. There are a million answers, and none of them is "right" for all situations or people.

Personally, I like a thin layer of crushed coral. I find that fine sand creates a mess in the tank, and it's impossible to suck detritus off it without sucking up the sand as well. Crushed coral can be vacuumed with a siphon, so it's easy to clean.

blusporttrac
12/23/2004, 11:32 AM
Der_wille,
Are you talking about the seafloor grade fine crushed stuff I like the look of that, used it to make my rock but that sand looks o so good.

Would i thin layer of sand maybe 2-3 inches be ok and if i dont like it could i pull it and add the coral?

What about the refugeum? Mud or Sand and how deep 4"?

der_wille_zur_macht
12/23/2004, 11:35 AM
The seafloor stuff is fine - I just like it coarse enough that it won't blow around and it can be easily siphoned, I don't like the REALLY big chunky stuff.

Keep in mind that once you put a substrate in, it's a pain to switch it for something else in an established tank. Any substrate will provide a home for a large percentage of your nitrifying bacteria, so removal and replacement has to happen slowly.

In the 'fuge, I again prefer a bit of CC. I don't like those "Mud" products since there's really no way of knowing for sure what's in them.

But, there will probably be DSB fans that will reccomend you use something deep in both the tank and 'fuge.