PDA

View Full Version : POOL TIME:Calcium Hardness Increaser.

mickey57
12/22/2004, 04:03 PM
....Has anyone tried the product?No damn analysis chart on the bottle:mad2:Hazard Warnings:Contains calcium chloride;That is all it has for an analysis:confused: I put a granule in my mouth and it burned the hell out of my tounge,with the quickness:lol: I looked for a "contact us" on their web site but there is none.7 pounds of it for 8 bucks,so I said what the hell,I can always take it back:rolleyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/22/2004, 04:27 PM
I've not tested such a material for impurities, so I can't say if it is suitable or not.

Anyone use it?

mickey57
12/22/2004, 06:00 PM
...Thanks Randy.I am not going to chance it until I hear something positive from a couple of sources.From what I gather it is manufactured in Austraila.I did gleen a 1-800 number from a goggle search;) going to call it:cool:
.............Mickey........

mickey57
12/22/2004, 09:20 PM
Pool Time:Calcium Hardness increaser.
..77%-80% calcium chloride.
..4%-5% potasium chloride
..2%-3% sodium chloride.
..1% strontium.
...Looks like I am missing about 11% of something.(water or arsnic?)
.....Jacksonville,Florida...Poison control Center
....................Mickey.............

PUGroyale
12/22/2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by mickey57
....Has anyone tried the product?

No... but I certainly wouldn't give it a taste test! Sheesh buddy... DON'T EAT THE CHEMICALS :D

mickey57
12/22/2004, 11:57 PM
PUGroyale,I have had so many chemicals in and on me,I should be glowing or dead:rolleyes: First thing out of high-school I worked in a pulp mill making Cl02.After a little while of that it was clear that I had to go back to school.I got dosed with chloine so many times I am luck I still have lungs.I use to carry an oxygen kit in my truck because I was so parinoid of that stuff:lol:
..................Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2004, 07:58 AM
Looks like I am missing about 11% of something

Water.

That looks like the Dowflake profile, and so may be OK to use, but bear in mind that I do not know that for sure.

.I got dosed with chloine so many times I am luck I still have lungs.

Wow, that's not good. :(

mickey57
12/23/2004, 11:00 AM
....Randy,
.....I found out the MSD on this Pool Time product.I am waiting on the email now,Hotmail is screwed up again,but I did get them to tell me orally.Calcium chloride,75-97%;potasium chloride,2-3%;Sodium chloride,1-2%;Stronium,0-1%;Water,0-7%:
...I do have a question about the water content......how could you have 0%??:rolleyes: Oh yeah.I just ran a few test and I got;Calcium,400ppm and a KH of 14.Should I start dripping the lime water now?or get the cal up to about 460???then use the pickling lime and backing soda?????Thanks for bearing with me Randy:D
...................Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2004, 01:30 PM
...I do have a question about the water content......how could you have 0%??

It is dry. So it could have zero water in it..

Some specs aren't especially intuitive. The spec for food grade calcium hydroxide has the amount of lime allowed from 95-100.5%. Anything above 100.0000% is an artifiact, but they don't want to have to discard a batch of pure stuff for some sort of mathamatical rounding error. :D

I'd boost the calcium to about 460 ppm with calcium chloride, then use just the pickling lime without any baking soda if that will meet the ongoing demand. If the alkalinity declines when you are still adding calcium chloride, then you need not target as high as 460 ppm before switching to all lime.

mickey57
12/23/2004, 07:53 PM
...Thank You Mr Farley.I just added 1 table spoon of the Pool time I am going to give it a couple of hours and test.No turning back now:cool:
..................Mickey

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/24/2004, 08:40 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck! :)

mickey57
12/24/2004, 02:41 PM
.....Calcium is up to 460ppm;KH-12;ph-8.2.Just have to test the magmesium.No test kits in this backward town:mad2: I took a gamble and added 1 tablespoon of epsom salts though:eek: Going to order one from Salferit:smokin:
..........................................Mickey...............

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/24/2004, 03:59 PM
Calcium is up to 460ppm;KH-12;ph-8.2.

That seems good! Now switch to balanced additives such as the limewater. :)

mickey57
12/24/2004, 04:48 PM
....Thanks again Randy.All top off will be lime water.:celeb3:
..................Mickey...........

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/25/2004, 10:20 AM
:thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes! :)

gillboy
12/26/2004, 08:39 AM
"took a gamble and added 1 tablespoon of epsom salts though"

hate to move this into a tangent but isn't Epsom Salt Magnesium Sulfate? and is that a good way to add Magnesium?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/26/2004, 08:45 PM
It is not optimal, but is OK for one small correction. It is true that repeated additions will raise sulfate relative to chloride, and so I generally recommend commercial magnesium supplements, or a DIY made with magnesium chloride and possibly magnesium sulfate.

Magnesium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

from it:

"Supplements for Magnesium in Marine Aquaria

There are a variety of commercial supplements for magnesium. Those supplements made by ESV, Seachem, and Kent are quite popular, although I’ve not seen any detailed analyses of them. Assuming they are what they claim to be, they are fine products to use, even for large increases in magnesium. I’ve used the ESV supplement, along with ones that I’ve made myself.

One thing to keep in mind about magnesium supplements is that they are all necessarily quite “dilute� even when presented as dry solids. The reason for this is that magnesium is a doubly charged and very light ion. So in a salt form, or when dissolved in a liquid, it is necessarily attended by a large number of quite heavy counterions (chloride and sulfate, especially). Commercial dry supplements may be only 8% magnesium by weight, for example.

Compounding the issue is the simple fact that there is so much magnesium in an aquarium that significant supplementation requires a great deal of material. A 100-gallon aquarium contains about a pound of magnesium! In order to raise that same aquarium by 200 ppm of magnesium, one would need to add on the order of 2 pounds of dry magnesium salts!

Epsom Salts (USP grade magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) is readily available in drug stores and very inexpensive. The problem is that if you were to raise magnesium by a large amount (or a small amount several times) the aquarium water will become relatively enriched in sulfate. This enrichment may not be a problem for some aquaria, especially those using salt mixes already deficient in sulfate,15 or those that experience frequent water changes. Bingman21 has addressed these enrichment issues and has suggested a recipe for home made supplements based on Epsom Salts and magnesium chloride. The problem is in getting the latter in adequate purity.

As an alternative, some aquarists have begun to use Nigari, a Japanese product that is derived from seawater and is used to manufacture tofu. It appears to be mostly magnesium salts of chloride and sulfate, but how much sulfate and how much chloride, as well as what other metals remains to be demonstrated.

Whatever supplement you choose, I’d suggest targeting the natural seawater concentration: 1285 ppm. For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine. I would not suggest raising magnesium by more than 100 ppm per day. If you need to raise it by several hundred ppm, splitting the addition over several days will allow you to better home in on the target concentration, and might possibly allow the aquarium to deal with impurities that may come in with the supplement."

In my DIY two part supplement, I recommend using magnesium sulfate to offset the low magnesium and high chloride that results from using calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate:

A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

mickey57
12/27/2004, 06:45 AM
Thanks again,Mr. Randy Holmes-Farley:strooper: :strooper: :smokin:
................Mickey.............

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/27/2004, 07:58 AM
:thumbsup: