PDA

View Full Version : Ozone and ph

RebelPrince
12/22/2004, 01:16 AM
Can anyone tell me what benefits or results on ph -either drop or rise- will there be from ozone injection into a 50 gal. SPS packed reef tank?

As a last resort for ph boosting and overall water quality, what is there to say about ozonizers?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/22/2004, 08:19 AM
I would not expect ozone to have any pH raising effect. There may be a small pH drop as the organics that it reacts with are converted by it or subsequent bacterial action, to carbon dioxide.

What is the pH?

This article may help:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

RebelPrince
12/22/2004, 01:58 PM
Thankyou for responding Randy, my ph is 7.8 at night and between 7.9 and 8.00 during the day.

What about an oxygen reactor, will this help the ph to rise?

I already run tubing from my skimmer's intake to a window. I also drip kalk, otherwise my ph would be about .2 lower. My kh is 10 consistently and all else is normal.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/22/2004, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure what an oxgen reactor is, but oxygen does not impact pH. It is an excess of carbon dioxide that leads to low pH.

You might try the aeration test in the above article to see if the excess CO2 is coming from your home air, or is just trapped in the tank.

RebelPrince
12/22/2004, 08:10 PM
I performed the aeration test inside my home and outside with very similar results, they both stayed around 8.0, which is my tank peak during the day. Hence my searching for looking alternative solutions.

Kalk has only helped maintained ph around 7.9 8.0. Tubing through skimmer intake, and refugium wiht 24/7 lights have made very little difference. What suggestion do you have randy?

Boomer
12/22/2004, 08:43 PM
Randy so you know for the future, see below. I helped design some of hi-tech ones that do not use bioballs but uses a spray nozzle that atomizes the water, along with an electric float switch, to keep the water level at the bottom at a constant height.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aloha.net%2F%7Ehqf%2Findexdon02reactor.htm

Water flows threw B on to a drip plate, where the water falls onto the bioballs. Air enters through C and pressurizes the tube. The air pressure then pushes the water downward where it goes back to the tank through A. A good one can raise the DO 1 mg / l. The same exact unit can be used as an Ozone reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2004, 07:49 AM
I performed the aeration test inside my home and outside with very similar results, they both stayed around 8.0, which is my tank peak during the day. Hence my searching for looking alternative solutions.

Perhaps I didn't write the description well enough, but a lot of folks misunderstand the aeration test. With appropriate aeration, the pH will always rise outside if the alkalinity is normal or high, and the pH is below 8.2. If it doesn't, then the pH measurement is off, or there was not enough aeration.

So my suggestion is to double check the pH measurement. How are you measuring it?

Thanks, Boomer. :)