PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride in Damp Rid

Mchava
12/22/2004, 12:05 AM
Okay this question is for Randy or any one else that might know. Today at work I was recieving some merchandise when I knowdice that one of our producs consit of only Calcium Chloride noting else. The product is called Damp Rid. It is used to collect moisture form the air in the house. The question I have is: Is this the same stuff as we used on the aquariums or is it someting else. I looked at the ingrideince and the only thing listed was Calcium Chloride noting else. What Iam planning on doing is set up a small tank and see if this is the same. I will test the water and also check it for Cal ppm to figure out the right amount to use. Well if this is the same please let me know. This stuff is dirt cheap. Well hope i hear from someone soon. THanks
Mario:cool:

masterswimmer
12/22/2004, 12:11 AM
I'm familiar with Damp Rid. We sell it where I work. I've never tried it or examined the packaging. I would think they might add some kind of fragrance to it though. I could very well be wrong, just guessing.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/22/2004, 08:14 AM
It is the same basic material: calcium chloride. But whether its impurity profile makes it suitable for addition to a reef aquarium, I do not know. Others have suggested it in the past, but I do not know anyone who has ever looked at impurities in it, nor tested it on a reef aquarium long term.