PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on what I might look for that could be causing the problem?

RussC
12/21/2004, 12:11 PM
Dr. Holmes-Farley, I have been hard at it trying to reduce the hair algae problem in my tank. I feel as though I've gotten it under control but it seems to be at the cost of some of my corals. I have been doing regular, 10 gallon water changes in my 45 gl tank about every three weeks. I'm due for one now. I've gotten the Alk to a more acceptable level of 10-12 dky (it was very high, about 16). I would feel more comforatable if I could stabilize it. I use Tech CB as my means with some Calcium booster occassionally. My Ca is about 430. My Salinity is 1.023-24. Temp is about 78-80. PH is 7.6 or so in the am and 8.2 in pm. It fluctuates as the day and light cycle mature.

I recently purchased a Magnum 350 and have been running it for 1 week and stirring up my tank to help get some of the extra detritus and such cleaned out. I have also purchased a new MH bulb but have not installed that.

Obvious problems are both my trachphyillia brains are not opening. I lost my xenia. They just whithered up and died off but my pom pom xenia are doing fine. My clam up and died and now one set of my mushrooms seems to be whithering away. The other set is going strong.

Thoughts and/or questions to get me headed in a direction?:D

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 02:22 PM
One of the best ways to reduce algae growth is to limit nutrients, especially phosphate, but also including nitrate. Have you measured these levels? You might try growing macroalgae in a refugium to export more nitrogen and phosphorus. There are other ways as well that these articles discuss:

Phosphorus: Algaeā€™s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

RussC
12/21/2004, 02:33 PM
My problem now is not algae. I have really nipped that in the bud. My nitrates are very minimal the last I checked and phosphates were zero. My problem now is my corals are seeming to be dieing off for some reason or not opening.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 02:35 PM
I don't see any chemical reason in the numbers that you report for the effects that you are seeing.

Are you using tap water?

RussC
12/21/2004, 02:44 PM
Negative. I use RO water with a register of zero. You can understand why I'm stumped. Its only a 45 hex but my skimmer really seems to be slow to fill the colection cup. Its an aqua C so its good quality. Any chance I'm not getting out some nutrients of some kind?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 03:43 PM
It is hard to make mushrooms whither short of toxins. I'm not really sure. I'd try carbon, and possibly measure ammonia.

RussC
12/21/2004, 04:04 PM
Carbon is next. As soon as I get my micron filter out of my cannister I'm putting in carbon. I'll mesure the amonia too. Could a dead clam cause any trouble? When my clam died it was eaten pretty quick by the other critters but it did lay there for a day or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 04:07 PM
Yes, a dead clam could release ammonia and possibly other things that could irritate corals.

RussC
12/21/2004, 04:17 PM
That could be a suspect. I'll run carbon and see what happens. Would that cause the clams to close as well? Is there any additional things I can do besides carbon and water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how ammonia might impact a clam. Getting an ammonia kit might be a good step.

RussC
12/21/2004, 04:25 PM
I've got one. I'll check as soon as I get home. When I said clams I mean brains. Would a dead clam cause them to close too?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 04:27 PM
Possibly, yes.

RussC
12/21/2004, 04:36 PM
I'm on it. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 04:38 PM
You're welcome.

Let us know what you find. :)