PDA

View Full Version : ionix DI system - ok for zoa tank?

whodah
12/20/2004, 04:19 PM
heya randy!

once we talked a bit about ICP's and ICPMS's, so i figured you might have a leg up on this.

the lab i work for has an ionix di system. would water out of this system be ok to use in my work tank (consists primarily of zoanthids)

if you need to know more about the system, i can' probably give them a call, but i know it has 3 fiberglass containers that are about 4.5' tall (remind me of CO2 tanks for sodas except fiberglass) and it's inspected twice a month. it's pressurized, feeds our entire lab, and has indicator lights on it to indicate if one of the stems in the system needs replacement.

thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2004, 04:20 PM
Yes, that DI water would be a fine top off or source water to make artificial seawater. :)

thrlride
12/20/2004, 04:21 PM
I don't know much about those but you ought to buy a TDS meter and check the output water to see how clean it is.

whodah
12/20/2004, 04:37 PM
cool, thanks randy!

thrlride - good idea! i looked up todays daily log and it was at 0.425 uS/cm! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2004, 04:44 PM
Oh, by the way, it may still have chlorine or chloramine in it if there is no carbon before the DI, but I expect it does have carbon. :)

Good luck!

whodah
12/20/2004, 04:51 PM
oh really? ok, i'll look into that. thx!

and my back thanks you too, no more lugging water from home to do changes/top-offs, heh!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/21/2004, 08:14 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

whodah
01/03/2005, 11:34 AM
heya! i'm sittin here talking to the chemist now... we aren't sure if it has carbon inline w/ it, but he suspects it might not!

i'll give ionix a call today to confirm/deny.

at any rate, using a dionix px500 chromotagraphy system, his blanks show a false positive of chloride at 2.273ppm. the chromatogram looks like a small bump in the baseline as oposed to a peak/spike.

in your opinion - is this water ok to use based off that knowledge? or does it make you nervous?

thanks a ton!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 02:25 PM
If it does not have carbon, then there is a concern about chloramine, and chlorine. Otherwise, if it is DI water, it does not concern me.

whodah
01/03/2005, 09:39 PM
i just know your die'ing for some closure on this one...

ha ha ha!

i got ahold of ionix. and since one of the fiberglass 4' canisters had black tephlon tape around it (the other two had orange), we've got carbon!

i'm not so sure i'm keen on their nomenclature, but hey... carbon is apart of our system!

:)

thx for all the help, again!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/04/2005, 07:04 AM
You're welcome. I'm glad you have a good source of water! :)

Happy Reefing.