PDA

View Full Version : High ca and alk/low pH problem.....

rplank
12/19/2004, 06:09 PM
Hi, Randy.

I have read all your articles on ca and alk problems. Based on your Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm) article, my aquarium is in zone 4.
My Ca readings are 540, and alk is 4.91 meq/L. (this being the day after 1/2 gallon of kalk topoff.) I understand that those are both high, but believe it to not be harmful, based on what I read. Can you confirm that for me?

My other problem is my pH. I just tested it, at 3pm, and it is 8.2. That is the highest it has ever been, and I think it is because I left the sliding glass door ajar last night, to see if it would help. Our apartment is pretty airtight. PH is normally between 7.8 -8.0 (night-day, respectively).
I would like to have my pH slightly higher. Is there any other option that I can try besides leaving the sliding glass door next to the tank open for fresh air? (The wife got a tad bit upset :mad2: at 7am when she woke up to a freezing living room! :p )

My tank parameters are as follows:
29 gallon, no sump, fuge, or skimmer
10x flow w/ powerheads
1.026 on hydrometer
77-78 F
amm=0
trites=0
trates=20-40 (crappy test kit)
20% water change weekly
tank running since Sept 5, 04
Stocked w/ 2 fish, small lps frags, no sps, about 10 lbs LR, 20 lbs dead base rock ("lace rock")
I just put some chaeto in a few days ago-hoping to help w/ nutrient export.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and also for the great articles.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2004, 09:24 AM
but believe it to not be harmful, based on what I read. Can you confirm that for me?

I agree that having both high is not particularly harmful, IMO.

I would like to have my pH slightly higher. Is there any other option that I can try besides leaving the sliding glass door next to the tank open for fresh air?

More limewater (don't worry about calcium and alkalinity from it), more fresh air (maybe sent via tubing to a skimmer inlet, and more macroalgae to suck up CO2 are all options. There are not many others. I discuss them in this article:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

rplank
12/20/2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2004, 10:56 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck! :)