PDA

View Full Version : possible big problem :(

Evil_TT
12/15/2004, 03:07 AM
i had a glass thermomiter (sp?) that has apparently broken in my 60 gallon tank thats cycling, it doesnt lok like any of the mercury (or whatever chemical they use to measure the acctual temp with) leaked, but there were a bunch of lead balls at the bottom (i assume they were lead) to weigh it down.

what do i do? HELP? :D

luckily there isnt any livestock in the tank, and its still cycling i think this may be why my tests are way off but im really not sure

bertoni
12/15/2004, 03:09 AM
I'd get the metal out of the tank, and consider running a PolyFilter. You could search in the chemistry forum. I know this question has come up before.

Evil_TT
12/15/2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by bertoni
I'd get the metal out of the tank, and consider running a PolyFilter. You could search in the chemistry forum. I know this question has come up before.

thanks ill have to figure out a decent way to get it out, luckily it broke in the sump not in the main display, i just dont know what else outside of the lil weights could have been leaked into the sump :(

tankslave
12/15/2004, 05:03 AM
AHHH! Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at room temp!!! It WILL get into the water. Change out ALLL the water. Mercury is NOT to be messed with!!! Don't get your hands in the water. There are special sponges for soaking up mercury. I don't know where you can get them off hand. Clean out your sump completely! You will have major problems (you and your fish) if you don't carefully clean that sump!!!
Ask randy in the chem forum for further advice.
Oh yea, NEVER USE A MERCURY THERMOMETER!!!!!

der_wille_zur_macht
12/15/2004, 08:04 AM
Do you have a link to the exact thermometer you had, or any information on it? I'm willing to bet it was an alcohol thermometer, not mercury - in which case your problem isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. I don't think I've ever seen an actual mercury thermometer for use in a fish tank, and the models I've seen with the lead balls for weights all had alcohol in them.

jeffd1979
12/15/2004, 08:45 AM
Does it look like this???

http://web.infoave.net/~jeffd1979/thermo.jpg

If so then it is an Alcohol thermo. Most of the time when those bust the bottom just falls off with the little lead balls... The Alcohol should still be contained and not have gotten into the tank.. Just get all the lead balls out you can and you will be fine.

BTW.. i do not believe they even make Mercury thermos's anymore.. I think it was outlawed during the Clinton admin.

Evil_TT
12/15/2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jeffd1979
Does it look like this???

http://web.infoave.net/~jeffd1979/thermo.jpg

If so then it is an Alcohol thermo. Most of the time when those bust the bottom just falls off with the little lead balls... The Alcohol should still be contained and not have gotten into the tank.. Just get all the lead balls out you can and you will be fine.

BTW.. i do not believe they even make Mercury thermos's anymore.. I think it was outlawed during the Clinton admin.

thats it right there :)

whew thats a relief hehe :D so ill just get all the lead balls out and not worry about anything else? it looked like all the liquid (weather it be alcohol or mercury) was still in the thermo without leaking out i just didnt know if there was anything else, im gona switch to digital in both of my tanks, not taking a chance any more :)

sarduci
12/15/2004, 01:11 PM
Yeah, just pull the metal balls out. They probably aren't even made out of lead, since that's toxic on some level too......