PDA

View Full Version : Salt Problem?!?!?!?!?!

KRnMoFo
12/15/2004, 12:25 AM
I have a 30 gallon tank with a backpack skimmer on it. My problem is that the water splashes too much an i keep getting salt all over the back of my tank and on the light. Does anyone know how to decrease the splashing? Please Help!!! The salt layer on my light makes my tank look dull.:confused:

wahshk
12/15/2004, 12:30 AM
Try to reduce bubbles. They are the main cause of splashing, unless you have a PH pointed upwards. Or fish are jumping all the time! :)

KRnMoFo
12/15/2004, 12:33 AM
someone told me the more bubbles the better. how low should i reduce my bubbles...?

wahshk
12/15/2004, 12:37 AM
I didn't mean to reduce the skimmer bubbles (the finer the better). It is very difficult to remove bubbles from a hang-on skimmer. How is the return from the skimmer look like?

hammerhead
12/15/2004, 12:38 AM
Where is the splashing coming from?

KRnMoFo
12/15/2004, 12:49 AM
THe splashes are coming from the bubbles that pop. the bubbles are coming from where the water comes out of my skimmer. the water is being shot straight down into the water in my tank.

wahshk
12/15/2004, 12:56 AM
I suggest you use some tubing to get the skimmer output to the lowest point possible in your tank without disturbing your sand bed if you have one. This should give the bubbles a long travel upwards.

Stu_WI
12/15/2004, 12:56 AM
You could try fitting the water outlet with a sponge or a filter floss bag from a whisper filer, etc... I had problems with bubbles when I had my skimmer hanging on the back of my tank before I decided to build a sump. I still get salt creap today, you can't get rid of it completely unless you can completely close (cover, cap, ...) the tank off.

bertoni
12/15/2004, 01:15 AM
There should be a 90 degree elbow joint on the skimmer output. That should redirect the output flow to the side.

Can you post a picture of your setup?

www.cprusa.com should have some reasonable shots of the BakPak skimmers.