PDA

View Full Version : Lion fish losing color

jtaliman
12/13/2004, 09:39 AM
I've had a lion fish for about 2 months now and have noticed its color fading. In the past couple of days the color on its body had gone from black to a real pale brown. I also noticed last night its eye is starting to get cloudy. It is just laying on the rocks now and won't eat. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? Thanks.

Emerald
12/13/2004, 01:06 PM
Can you please post all of your water parameters after testing them today?
What are/were you feeding the lion?
You may need a QT for antibiotic treatment, but I would like a bit more info first before jumping into that.

jtaliman
12/13/2004, 05:09 PM
Below are my water parameters that I have a test kit for:

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ph 8

I have been feeding mainly freeze dried shrimp but occasionally some shrimp/fish from the supermarket. I only have one other fish in the tank with him. That is a lunar wrasse. I don't have a QT tank but can use a bucket or something if needed. Let me know what you think.

Emerald
12/14/2004, 01:15 AM
I would move the lion into a temp QT. Not knowing how large the bucket is in comparison to the fish, you will have to judge whether the size is sufficient. If not, he can be placed in a clean (never used) rubbermaid tub, very cheap and efficient.
I would use half tank water and half freshly mixed but aged for a few hours water. I would suggest adding methylene blue at 1 tsp per 10g of water in the container. Im not convinced this is a bacterial infection yet, but I would go ahead and start treatment to be on the safe side. You can use most any broad spectrum antibiotic found at the LFS. Some of my favorites are Kanacyn, Neomycin, Oxytetracycline, Nitrofurazone. Take this list with you, as not all I listed are brand names and you will need to read the back of the packages to see what they contain.
When treating use a cup of tank water to mix the med into and then add it to the "tank".

Is one eye cloudy or both? Are there any other symptoms? He should be ok without eating for a few days. If it goes any longer, you may want to try some live ghost shrimp from the LFS.

jtaliman
12/14/2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. He actually ate last night but only one shrimp. He normally will eat 2-3. At least its a start. Only one of his eyes are cloudy. His color looked better last night. He is a little darker now but his stripes seem to be missing color in them. They are not solid. I'll take the list you gave me to the lfs tonight and pick up some medicine. Hopefully it helps. Thanks again.