View Full Version : max flow thrue 3/4 pipe

MSHUR
12/10/2004, 01:43 PM
i amt rying to figure max flow thrue 2 return lines ,both 3/4 '

any info,,
thankx

scbauer
12/10/2004, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing it's somewhere above 10,000 GPH. That would result in some SERIOUS pressure, though. There are many things to consider. I would ask the question: "Can a xxx GPH pump be run with 3/4" return?"

I run about 1,200 GPH through my 3/4" return. I think most people would recommend going with 1" if you are going to have more flow than that.

Just my opinion...

-Scott

MSHUR
12/10/2004, 01:56 PM
scott
not to create "serios" pressure ,what pump would u recomend?
i have iwaki -40rlxt right now,but looking for more flow

mike

scbauer
12/10/2004, 02:28 PM
What size tank do you have? That's the same pump I have (although mine is on a 20-gallon tank :)) I have to tell you, I have been so happy with my Iwaki (I've had it for about a year now). If you really want to get a new pump, I guess you have to ask yourself why... Is it just because you want more flow? Are you happy with the performance of your Iwaki? If these are both true, then maybe you would want to simply buy a bigger Iwaki. Are you stuck with 3/4" pipes? Can you replumb?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think if you want to go with a nice pump rated at 2,000+ GPH, maybe look into a bigger Iwaki like the MD 100.

There are plenty of people on here who have pumps that they love, and I'm sure they'll chime in. SEIO, Sequence, Quite One, Little Giant... I've heard good things about each of these brands.

Good luck...

-Scott

MSHUR
12/10/2004, 02:41 PM
i have oceanic rr tank,150 g
two overflow..i am trying to get more flow...i am happy with iwaki...i think its very good and relaible pump..

i think my overflow can hadle 1500 gph..

scbauer
12/10/2004, 02:51 PM
Well, hopefully some more people will chime in with their opinions.

rjg
12/10/2004, 03:31 PM
I have used the 30RLXT and was very happy with it! I don't really know of a pump that is much closer to 1500GPH without going over, but I guess you could put a ball valve on one and dial it back.

The Ampmaster and the Sequence pumps seem to be popular, but are way over the rated capacity of your overflows.

You might want to consider some Tunzes or maybe a closed loop type of system.

scbauer
12/10/2004, 03:48 PM
Actually, Mike, that was something I wanted to bring up. I wish I had the option to do this, but I really don't. If you can, I would suggest leaving the MD40 as your return (running only about 1,200 GPH) and get another pump to use for a closed loop. This way, you won't run into any issues with maxing out your overflow and you can get as much flow as you want... that's the beauty of a closed loop.

Good luck...

-Scott

MSHUR
12/10/2004, 04:58 PM
guys,
i accually have 2 tunze streams .and i need more flow...
some of my corals loosing tissue from the base up.
that caused by luck of flow around the base.

JB NY
12/10/2004, 05:01 PM
try playing with the powerheads and stuff. The flow should be enough it might be that dead spots are causing problems.

If you end up being sure that flow is not the issue, look at too much PO4 or too much nutrients. but flow is the culprit most times.

MSHUR
12/10/2004, 05:10 PM
hi,joe
i am glad u here:))
i have no nutients,po4-0,03 (hanna) no3-0 (salifert)
so,i think its the flow issue..

mike