PDA

View Full Version : someone help this person!

edsreef
12/10/2004, 10:47 AM
Not sure why, but I recieved this private message this morning. I'll keep thier identity anonymous since it was sent privately. They need help!

I have a problem with my fish and I think it's black ick.. My tangs have black spots on them and their eyes are cloudy with flaky skin...... tel me about it! Can you help?

Below is my response. Please respond to this post with additional recomendations to this person to help them save these fish. Sounds like there are at least two tangs in there.

"Sounds bad. The cloudy eyes are likely an infection and the black spots could be ich. You need immediate help to save those fish and I feel only partially qualified to be of help to you and them. You should post this question in the "Fish Disease Treatment" forum at Reef Central or ask an "expert" in there.
Here's what I can offer you for now: Treatment method depends upon whether-or-not you have a "fish only" or reef system with corals and other sensitive inverts. If a fish only system you can medicate all of the fish with commercially available treatments for ich and infections. If a reef system begin with some McCormick Garlic juice (dose depends on tank size) then follow with Powdered Ginger (dose depends on tank size). Either way, you may still have to set up a seperate quarantine tank to save the fish. You need to act immediately or you will lose the fish!!"

Below is my response. Please respond to this post with additional recomendations to this person to help them save these fish. Sounds like there are at least two tangs in there.

Emerald
12/10/2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for posting this here Ed. Could you please ask the person who messaged you to come here and provide some more information?
If the fish have black ich they will need more treatment in a QT than what you advised. The cloudy eyes may also signify infection, which will need antibiotics, also done in a QT.

Helpful information will include: How long they have had the fish; how long the fish have exhibited symptoms; whether or not they are eating, breathing, swimming normally; All tank parameters; a clearer descriptin of spots on body.

If this person is uncomfortable posting in the forum, they are welcome to pm me.