PDA

View Full Version : yet another problem...

YodaHart
12/09/2004, 06:48 PM
So I came home from school today to find my tank with cloudy water. I had no idea what the problem was until I looked in the sump. My pinpoint Ph meter that was fastened to the door with velcro fell off and went into the tank. I have no idea how long it was in the water, but I guess it was long enough to cause some damages. The meter is obviously broken, but is there anything I can do to prevent things from dying in the tank? Some of my corals are already feeling the effects. I've done a 25% water change already, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks

smpolyp
12/09/2004, 08:50 PM
Adding carbon can help to reduce to toxins. If some corals bleech I would recomend reducing the light hours. If you need some carbon now call me Iv'e got a bunch. 407-748-6741

tricky
12/09/2004, 11:04 PM
You might want to check into using a poly-pad. There is one that will pull out copper and metal traces. There is a possibility that a small amount of copper dissolved into the water. I'd keep up the massive water changes, too.

YodaHart
12/10/2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Tricky, where can I get the poly-pads?

Fuzzy
12/10/2004, 01:24 PM
I don't know if it will help - but we have a DE filter. You are welcome to use it if you want.

Fuzz

tricky
12/10/2004, 06:59 PM
The stuff I was thinking of might have been "Toxic Metal Sponge" by Kent Marine, not sure. It came sewed up in ia little nylon bag and was a bit pricy as I remember. I just checked, and the standard Polypads that most LFS sell say they will remove copper. I would guess that most of your pollution came from the battery, not sure what chemicals it would have released. This might be a good question for the chemistry forum.

I had a 7 gal nano tank that suddenly turned ugly orange, found a penlite battery had fallen in the skimmer. We immediately tore the tank down and put everthing in the big tank, nothing was lost.

The cheapest and easiest might still be Russell's carbon. Check to see if carbon will take out the bad stuff also.

YodaHart
12/11/2004, 12:21 PM
After a few water changes and adding carbon, it looks like everything is back to normal. Surprisingly, nothing died.

Thanks for the help.