PDA

View Full Version : another maroon pairing question

Mantis806
12/09/2004, 12:22 AM
i found a bunch of junvenile wsm today. they're all a little less than an inch. i want to get a mated pair of clowns. either false percs or maroons. i'd perfer maroons though. the thing is that i've been reading that pairing 2 juvenile maroons or the same size is very diasterous. i was wondering if i could just buy two and keep one in a quarentine container with both fish in the same tank. and i can feed the one in the quarentine container a little less so it won't grow as fast. then, as the other maroon out grows the one in the container, maybe i could introduce them to physical contact. i'm very sceptical of this procedure, but it's so hard to find wsm in my area and even harder to find juvenile ones! the ones i normally see have torn up fins. if anyone thinks this is completely impssible i will just get two juvenile false percs. i really really like the wsm. but even gsm have white stripes as juveniles right? guess i won't find out till they grow up. thanks for any opinions and suggestions.

keefsama2003
12/09/2004, 08:44 AM
your best bet is to introduce the 2 juvi's at the same time and let them peck it out that way. if you let one establish more than the other could be a problem.

Rare Angels
12/09/2004, 01:43 PM
I would not introduce two juv of the same size at the same time. They will fight for a long time before they decide who's going to be the boss and one may be killed before that.

If at all possible buy one juv and find another, much larger, fish to pair it up with. The GSM, I breed, juv will fight constantly until I separate them. In order to diffuse the fighting I have to have several hundred in a grow-out tank or I mix them with other species juv to diffuse the fighting.

Just my .02 worth
Dave