PDA

View Full Version : Scammers on RC?

poon415
12/08/2004, 08:07 PM
Someone responded to a item that I have for sale.
"Hello seller
Am very much interested, to hasten up this transaction and to
make it easier there is client of mine in state who i will instruct to
issue out payment to you immediately.i had a dicussion with him not quit
long,of what i am about to buy from you .and also i will want you to know that he has agreed to issue you a cashier check,i will instruct him to issue out the check in your name, so a total cashier check of ($5500) will be send to you because this
is the total money i need from him.pls after the payment is in your
possesion you will faithfully deduct your own part of it.Moreso i have
discuss this transaction with my solicitor and he told me that i should not
be afraid , I don't know if I can entrust you with my balance after you
have deducted your own part of it .the balance will be used to pickup
my goods i bougth from you and with the other good i bougth from MR
Glenn in BELGIUM . I have informed my transporter(shipper) of my intension
to buy this from someone in USA. pls let me know if you are okay with
my method of payment and shipping. if this arrangement is okay with you
, do forward your full details so I can forward it to my client to
issue out payment to you as soon as possible
FULL NAME ON CHECK.........................
MAILLING ADDRESS..............................
PHONE #........................................ .............
CELL PHONE..............................................
Your immediate response will be highly be appreciated.
Kind Regards,

WILLIAMS.

So what do you all think, legit or scam? My selling price is only $ 700.00 His email address is WineWilliams. When I reply to him now it comes back auto daemon, not sendable. Hmmmm. Anyone out there getting this kind of sketchy behavior.

Jim

ProdigalPoster
12/08/2004, 08:12 PM
Um, I guess I don't see the scam in him giving you money...

GinaSofia
12/08/2004, 08:16 PM
did you check his rc profile?

JHReef
12/08/2004, 08:18 PM
Sounds pretty fishy to me. Lots of gobledygook in that message. Even though it sounds like he's gonna send you a bunch of money to buy it, then have you package and ship to Belgium, then you send the balance???- Wouldn't trust it if can't reply, also sounds like a big PITA.

mickey57
12/08/2004, 08:22 PM
...I have heard of a scam like this but I don't remember exactly how it worked.I believe after you deposit the check in your account and write a check to where ever,the cashiers check is a phoney and the bank keeps the hold on and the con cashes your check in the mean time...Something like that;)
.................Mickey............

XxDutchxX
12/08/2004, 08:24 PM
Sounds a little sketchy to me. I guess if you get the money first then whats the problem? But I would be a little leary about someone leaving that kind of money in the hands of a stranger...just my 2 cents.

vermonter310
12/08/2004, 08:27 PM
Agree with Mickey, It's a scam. I read about it also. Don't do it.

Mike

DLS
12/08/2004, 08:35 PM
fwiw, you should be able to verify funds with the issuing bank before doing anything else.

s13silvia
12/08/2004, 08:41 PM
this is an old scam that has been common in the auto world when it comes to people that are selling cars. a lot of ebay stuff is the same way, they claim to send a money order over in a large sum and want you to send money back. i don't remember the exact details, but its something like that

jwalters103
12/08/2004, 08:52 PM
i got a reply like this to something i was selling in ebay. a guy wanted to send me a cashiers check for the amount of the item plus shipping charges to africa. at which time he wanted me to deposit the check and ship the item. my guess is that it would be a counterfeit check and i would basically have given him my goods and paid for shipping before i realized i was out because the check was no good. id stay away from it.

jdieck
12/08/2004, 08:55 PM
Most times the money you receive is real and you can check with the issuing bank and have it cashed before you send the money. The catch is that this procedure is used to laundry the money and get it out of the country in what looks like legal transfers.
I got a similar business offers but this one implied 2.5 million related to an international acquisition.

poon415
12/08/2004, 08:58 PM
Whatever the deal was, he has gone into hiding. All email attempts come back undeliverable. Mailer Daemon. I guess even a Disneyland like ReefCentral has hurdles to avoid.

ohioreef
12/08/2004, 09:02 PM
This exact scam has been going around for some time now, although it's usually in an email. What ends up happening is that you deposit the check, send the second guy the "leftover" money and then you later find out that the check you deposited was no good.

AL ur Pal
12/08/2004, 09:06 PM
ya, its BS, i read about it too.

Freed
12/08/2004, 09:21 PM
Why would you send someone the balance of the check before it clears your bank? Uh, yeah.

nano10
12/08/2004, 09:21 PM
i was trying to sell my truck last year and i got the same exact letter but ot for reef but my truck. this is a complete scam

Freed
12/08/2004, 09:23 PM
In addition, I would not deal with someone that cannot proofread a letter like that.

nano10
12/08/2004, 09:25 PM
since its a oversea check most Us banks will pay it, by the time the check come back to your bank unpayed you'll be out the total 5,500 while he'll recieve 4,700$

Navyblue
12/08/2004, 09:28 PM
I second to Jdieck's theory, that's what in my mind too.

km133688
12/08/2004, 09:33 PM
Not trying to be harsh or anything, but anyone who doesn't recognize this for the obvious scame it is almost deserves to loose their money.

poon415
12/08/2004, 09:49 PM
Well thats the point, to not be harsh. By trying to be kind, and help others who might not suspect it to be a scam. And to let others know that this type of behavior is going on. You know, take care of each other.:mixed:

AJP
12/08/2004, 10:06 PM
It is fun to tell them that you will do it and when you get the check and it is fake email them and tell them you arent going to send them anything. You are keeping there money. It is fun to turn the scam around on them. There emails are funny, but what can they do to you.

cl0wn
12/08/2004, 10:16 PM
hi guys,
it is indeed a very popular scam, as jwalters103 says, loads of "buyers" try it on ebay try this link to a very funny site, especially the bit about scamming the scammers

www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com)

there's a reason that these thing look too good to be true.....

llpoolej
12/08/2004, 10:16 PM
It is an old scam. Usually from Nigeria. It happens alot with horses for sale. There is a hilarious site where a woman played this scammer till he was arrested.

Cosmo^Kramer
12/08/2004, 10:21 PM
It's an identity theft scam

derrikd
12/08/2004, 10:21 PM
scam all the way.... i play with pinballs as well they try this all the time with this as well.... DO NOT FALL FOR THIS

MarkS
12/08/2004, 11:08 PM
Here is a link to a thead in the Lounge from a RC member that fell for that scam. He ended up being out thousands.

Aaron1100us scammed (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228895&highlight=scam)

skeetemup
12/08/2004, 11:24 PM
its a scam i tried to sell my son's crib which he had out growed and i got a similar letter i wouldn't touch it to good to be true . the average person will not let you hold 4000.00 dollars of their money and they don't have a way of getting it back if they are in africa and your in the us or where ever you stay .

newmoon
12/08/2004, 11:50 PM
:fun1:

run!! :)

Anemone
12/08/2004, 11:57 PM
Poon415,

If this message came through either RC's PM or email system, please forward the original message to me (or cut and paste it).

Thank you,
Kevin
RC Staff

Saltz Creep
12/08/2004, 11:58 PM
http://atypically.net/smilies/deal.gif