PDA

View Full Version : Soft Coral Compatability?

teds48
12/08/2004, 06:38 PM
Can Colt coral, green stars, toadstool and button polyps be in close proximity with each other. At times the colt coral brushes up against each of the other coral. Will these corals growth be negatively effected by the close proximity to each other?

newmoon
12/08/2004, 06:46 PM
The best way to see if some corals can be placed next to each other is to see how they react when they touch each other. Does the corals shrivels up? Or keep part of it closed?
Your eyes can be the best judge. That's "touch" agression I'm talking....there's also chemical agression, but I don't see any chemical problems with the corals you listed. They all are pretty strong.

teds48
12/08/2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks, New Newmoon. I look at all my corals often and I have about 8 Colt corals in my 120G. There is one that is the subject here and it just doesn't seem to grow. Certainly not like the others which all grow fast and break off pieces which find new locations, attach and grow, better than this one. This is the only one which is close to the others. I'm thinking of moving it but would like to have one at that side of the tank.

teds48
12/08/2004, 06:56 PM
Finger check. Didn't mean New Newmoon..

teds48
12/08/2004, 07:21 PM
Finger check. Didn't mean New Newmoon..

Frick-n-Frags
12/09/2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by teds48
Can Colt coral, green stars, toadstool and button polyps be in close proximity with each other. At times the colt coral brushes up against each of the other coral. Will these corals growth be negatively effected by the close proximity to each other?

I totally jumble up my softies, and I have a boatload.

So far, the only ones that don't play nice are Capnellas which seem to irritate other soft corals.

I have all 5 types of mushrooms, Protopalythoa, Isaurus and zooanthus zoos, Sinularias(maybe 4-5 types) Lobophytums, Sarcophytons, GSP's, other gorgs, Anthelia and Xenia all mixed together and I have not seen any aggression except for the Capnella.

It seems that the stony corals are where the problems really start. Certain stony/softies don't get along (but many do) and almost all stony/stony interactions end up in a fight.

Kogo
12/09/2004, 01:47 PM
teds48

i also have multiple large colts (started with just one) the only problem i seem to have is when they block out the light (lol) seriously though i have some type of stalked xenia with a long reach that seems to make effort to pick fights and get its but kicked but everything else including specimines you have are doing fine.

actualy our tanks are probably quite similar.