PDA

View Full Version : Why is no one talking about college football?

ousnakebyte
12/08/2004, 04:06 PM
Did I miss the thread? Are there new terms and policies about posting in regards to college ball?

It seems last year we had a nice discussion, maybe some will call it a heated debate :p about polls, championship games, who should be in/out, who got screwed, what an amazing piece of *bleep* the BCS is, etc.

I am of course happy with our bowl selection, but that's all I will say there (hopefully). I was confident heading to the Sugar Bowl last January, and, well, that's all I have to say about that....

Anyway, thoughts on the 2004 season and the upcoming bowls? Predictions? I know the Auburn and Cal fans are probably po'd. Anyone on this board gonna apply for the Notre Dame job? :p

Misfit6669
12/08/2004, 04:31 PM
When the jackarses can come up with some type of playoff, then I will care and talk about college football.

Fishtale7
12/08/2004, 04:41 PM
College footbal is sooooooo boring with no playoff system. If there is a team with one loss, they have no shot at a championship, so why would anyone watch???

Jus Reefin
12/08/2004, 04:47 PM
No playoffs, stupid @$$ scoring system that determines who gets to play for a championship, IMO it just isn't worth my time.

Jaffa
12/08/2004, 05:05 PM
:sleep:

jeffbrig
12/08/2004, 06:55 PM
I'm ready for next season to begin. Now that my Gators traded in Ron Zook for Urban Meyer, hopefull we'll get back on top!!

Now I just have to decide whether to keep or sell my Orange Bowl tickets......I bet those are worth a pretty good penny this year. :)

Fishtale7
12/08/2004, 08:38 PM
I was so ****ed off when Spurrier said no to a return and the Gators swoop in and steal Urban Meyer right from Notre Dame. Ain't life grand!! Go Gators!!

greenbean36191
12/08/2004, 08:53 PM
I don't talk about it because I would rather not get banned from RC. :)

ousnakebyte
12/08/2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Misfit6669
When the jackarses can come up with some type of playoff, then I will care and talk about college football.

Hmmm.... let's see. How about talking about things like:

- Utah, a mid-major, cracking deep within the top ten - are they a contender or a pretender?

- Electric players like Reggie Bush (this guy is awesome), Adrian Peterson, Cedric Benson, etc.

- Predictions on how long the two-team playoff system we currently have can last. Will their ever be a change in our lifetime?

- Coaching vacancies and who will be hired next. Looks like a few have already chimed in here.

- Opinions on bowl matchups. Who you like and why. Texas vs Michigan for the first time ever... thoughts?

- Oh, and I was under the impression that two one-loss teams split the title last year. Is it possible that two undefeated teams will split it this year?

- Geez.... I can't think of anything to talk about either....

I don't believe I was asking everyone to come on here and bash the BCS over and over - lord knows we have beat that dead horse enough.

The system was far from perfect before, and we all found plenty of things to talk about. Records are still being broken, history is still being made, and awesome matchups are still happening, despite the terrible system that is still in place.

I guess I was calling on all those who are not fair weather fans - sorry I didn't label that in my thread. But I am not about to abandon college football just b/c I don't like the system... :rolleyes:

In fact, there was quite a lengthy thread here that spanned almost the entire season last year. If I'm not mistaken, there was plenty to talk about then and we still have the same system...

Okay, moving on....

jeffbrig - I am really interested to see what Meyer can do at Florida and the SEC. If he turns that program back around soon and Auburn stays at the top of their game, that's going to be an even more brutal conference... :eek:

Oh yeah... I'll take those Orange Bowl tickets!!! :D

Fishtale7 - looks like you found something to talk about. ;)

greenbean36191
12/08/2004, 09:17 PM
If he turns that program back around soon and Auburn stays at the top of their game, that's going to be an even more brutal conference...

Auburn won't stay on top of our game. All of our stars are leaving. Next year won't be pretty.

PUGroyale
12/08/2004, 09:34 PM
You gotta think the BCS will look at some possible changes now that their worst nightmare has come true. A shared championship you say? Several undefeated teams with legitimate claims to a title game shot? Hardly... more like a non BCS school [Utah] cashing in on their payday :D Too bad my BSU Broncos didn't have a stronger schedule or we may have crashed the party too.

Misfit6669
12/08/2004, 10:54 PM
- Utah, a mid-major, cracking deep within the top ten - are they a contender or a pretender?
Hmmm, we will never know because of the stupid system.
- Electric players like Reggie Bush (this guy is awesome), Adrian Peterson, Cedric Benson, etc.
Let's see what they do in the pros, a system with a playoff.
- Predictions on how long the two-team playoff system we currently have can last. Will their ever be a change in our lifetime?
Don't think I would call a single game that is determined by stupid voters a playoff. I think a playoff is to determine a single champion, who was that last year.

- Coaching vacancies and who will be hired next. Looks like a few have already chimed in here.
Ok, this part I have followed a bit, ND did a good job stepping on it again. Pretty soon, High school coaches will be declining their position.

- Opinions on bowl matchups. Who you like and why. Texas vs Michigan for the first time ever... thoughts?
What are they playing for? Yippee, we finished the season 6th, sorry, just don't get it.
- Oh, and I was under the impression that two one-loss teams split the title last year. Is it possible that two undefeated teams will split it this year?
Doesn't matter, if last year didn't throw a big enough wrench into the system, not sure what will.
- Geez.... I can't think of anything to talk about either....
Me either.
I don't believe I was asking everyone to come on here and bash the BCS over and over - lord knows we have beat that dead horse enough.
Maybe if everyone would quit talking, watching and going to these pathetic games, we could have something worth while to talk about like a playoff.

The system was far from perfect before, and we all found plenty of things to talk about. Records are still being broken, history is still being made, and awesome matchups are still happening, despite the terrible system that is still in place.
The system is a freaking joke! I know I am sounding like a real arse with my reply but it's because it is so **** up. Look at March Madness, can you imagine the buzz with a 8 team playoff. 4 weeks of college football that matters. It would be freaking crazy.
This is what I would like to be talking about.
Do you think VaTech has a chance against USC, what about Georgia against Oklahoma. Lets see if Utah is for real, Auburn will give them a real test. And instead of everybody talking about how Cal got screwed by Texas, they would be freaking playing each other.

I guess I was calling on all those who are not fair weather fans - sorry I didn't label that in my thread. But I am not about to abandon college football just b/c I don't like the system...
I did.
In fact, there was quite a lengthy thread here that spanned almost the entire season last year. If I'm not mistaken, there was plenty to talk about then and we still have the same system...
A lot of people were hoping the way last year ended, something might change. It hasn't and won't for a long time. Until people treat college football like the NHL (used to be a game with a bunch of tough guys on ice), nothing will change. It's up to the fans to determine the future of college football.
Hey ousnakebyte, this is not an attach on you, just something I have become very frustrated with over the years.

Brian

jeffbrig
12/09/2004, 08:35 AM
I don't understand why everyone is "SO" down on the BCS. Sure, I'd prefer a playoff, but there's no reason to bash the BCS. If we didn't have it, we'd have Oklahoma in the Fiesta, USC in the Rose, and Auburn in the Sugar, and all three would be complaining. At least this way, 2 of them get to go head to hand. That's what the BCS promised to deliver, and that's what it's doing this year. No matter what, someone's going go home in 3rd place without a say in it. At least 1st place will be decided on the field.

FWIW, I'd like to see a playoff, but think it's still 10 years off, minimum.

And on the Spurrier thing, I don't believe he was ever really considered by Bernie Machen (UF president). Bernie hired Urban Meyer at Utah, and wanted to bring him to UF, plain and simple. The offer to 'interview' Spurrier with other candidates was just lip service. That's like asking Al Pacino to audition for a new Godfather sequel. You either offer it outright, or you're simply not interested. Clearly they weren't.

That said, I'm not sure a Spurrier return would have been a long term solution for our program. He left because he was frustrated with the pressures and disappointments that come from unrealistically high expectations. Do you think this would change on his return? People were so excited at the prospect of Spurrier return, they were expecting us to automatically return to the glory days of winning 4 SECs (and a championship) in a row. I think someone like Urban Meyer brings the oppotunity to create a new dynasty, which is what we need.

I just hate that Spurrier ended up at South Carolina. Not only is it another SEC school, but they're in the eastern conference, which means we have to play against him every year.

Not something I look forward to....

pi
12/09/2004, 10:23 AM
I just hate that Spurrier ended up at South Carolina. Not only is it another SEC school, but they're in the eastern conference, which means we have to play against him every year.

... as a South Carolina grad and fan, I can say I am not jumping up and down either. Dont get me wrong, we are lucky to have such a talented coach who I hope can bring some of that talent out of Fla... He is just such an easy target to dislike!

As for why I am not talking football (original topic)... Did I mention I am a South Carolina fan?

ousnakebyte
12/09/2004, 10:33 AM
Let's see what they do in the pros, a system with a playoff.

You honestly think that college football having a playoff will have any effect on whether Bush, Peterson, Benson, et al. make it in the NFL? I don't quite follow...

Don't think I would call a single game that is determined by stupid voters a playoff. I think a playoff is to determine a single champion, who was that last year.

Whatever you want to call it, two teams are meeting to determine a champion, instead of 8, 16, or 64. The problem, as everyone knows, is that is not enough teams. Did you like the system any better when "stupid voters" elected who they thought was the champion?

I appreciate what the BCS is trying to accomplish - trying to eliminate bias and not vote a champion in. What it obviously needs to do (here comes that dead horse again; I'll get my stick....) is to allow at least the top eight teams decide it on the field.

What are they playing for? Yippee, we finished the season 6th, sorry, just don't get it.

Did you follow your 6th-ranked team to the bowl game before the BCS? You weren't playing for anything then...

Ok, this part I have followed a bit, ND did a good job stepping on it again. Pretty soon, High school coaches will be declining their position.

I agree. I'm not quite sure what the problem is there. Is it the AD, policies (admission standards, etc.), too much pressure to win right away? A combination of all these things? Bottom line is ND is a premier job, and they will be back. As much as I hate to say it, college football is that much more exciting when they are winning, and you can't keep a program with that much potential/history down forever. Thoughts?

Maybe if everyone would quit talking, watching and going to these pathetic games, we could have something worth while to talk about like a playoff.

To each his/her own. But I am not about to quit on the game or the team I have loved/followed/been apart of since I can remember. I didn't quit going to games as a sophmore when we were 3-8 (and I'm sure as he!! not gonna stop now! :rollface: )

The system is a freaking joke! I know I am sounding like a real arse with my reply but it's because it is so **** up. Look at March Madness, can you imagine the buzz with a 8 team playoff. 4 weeks of college football that matters. It would be freaking crazy.

The system was a joke before - Dead horse...

Hey ousnakebyte, this is not an attach on you, just something I have become very frustrated with over the years.

No worries - no offense taken. I visit plenty of the other school boards to read what people have to say. This is just a place where one can get a wide variety of fans from other schools in a common area to hear what they have to say. I enjoy the wide variety of opinions I get here - at least last year anyway....

Cheers
Mike

ousnakebyte
12/09/2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Auburn won't stay on top of our game. All of our stars are leaving. Next year won't be pretty.

I'm a bit worried about us as well. I don't think we will fall off the deep end or anything, but we are losing our QB, two receivers, three from the O line, and many others. Total, I think it's around 20 from the offense and defense together.

The biggest challenge for any college coach, I think, is recruiting. Recruiting can make or break a program.

Misfit6669
12/09/2004, 10:49 AM
Kinda busy this morning so my follow up will be shorter this time.

You honestly think that college football having a playoff will have any effect on whether Bush, Peterson, Benson, et al. make it in the NFL? I don't quite follow...
Yeah, I kinda do, back after back has done really good in college. When you play some schools like Marys school of the blind, 300 yards are not that unrealistic to run in a game. If there was a playoff, I seem to like 8 teams, you could see what players could carry a team to a championship. I think what a running back did in 4 playoff games would mean more to me then what he did all year. But that's just my take, not sure it made sence, really rushed.
Whatever you want to call it, two teams are meeting to determine a champion, instead of 8, 16, or 64. The problem, as everyone knows, is that is not enough teams. Did you like the system any better when "stupid voters" elected who they thought was the champion?
So, who was the champion last year?

Sorry time is really lacking this morning
Have fun and enjoy your games.
Brian

ousnakebyte
12/09/2004, 10:52 AM
Three posts in a row... I'm not getting anything done at work today.... gotta keep that Alt/Tab handy for when my boss walks by... :rollface:

About this Spurrier thing.... This is really interesting. I know college coaches have come back from the pros before, but has anyone ever come back to the same conference but to a different school? To me, that would be similar to Tom Osborne taking the OU job or having Barry Switzer go to Texas - no way! Blegh! I can't imagine the mixed feelings SC fans are having.

Here is the real question though - can he lure top talent out of Florida to South Carolina?

O'Coralman
12/09/2004, 11:13 AM
As a Vol fan..... Auburn was robbed. When you run the table in the SEC,nevermind go Unbeaten.....you should be in line for a shot at the top. I agree folks in SoCal and Okie have a right to say the same thing.......but we are Southern football fans. Spurrier is good for college ball....period. Everyone else plays and coachs better when he is on the radar. Given all that....things are boring........so we Vols will wait till next year and hope our young hotshot QBs heal......GO VOLS!!!!!!

Old Yeller Tang
12/09/2004, 01:30 PM
USC vs OU (Orange Bowl)

Auburn vs Utah (Sugar Bowl)

Texas vs Cal (Rose Bowl)

Lousville vs Virginia Tech (Fiesta Bowl)

Then I would be pleased!

Had a BCS thread going awhile back.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=455068&highlight=BCS

BTW, JJ Arrington is the best player in College Football IMO only because Bush shares the load at USC.

Old Yeller Tang
12/09/2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by O'Coralman
As a Vol fan..... Auburn was robbed. When you run the table in the SEC,nevermind go Unbeaten.....you should be in line for a shot at the top.
That's usually true since the SEC is usually one of the strongest if not the strongest conference in football but I don't think the SEC was all that great this year. Auburn hurt themselves by playing teams like Louisiana Monroe, The Citadel and Louisiana Tech. I can see them scheduling a couple of gimmies but this group is ridiculous! Too bad they still didn't have USC on the schedule like they did the last two years. BTW, SC won both those games.:D

Wolverine
12/09/2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Fishtale7
I was so ****ed off when Spurrier said no to a return and the Gators swoop in and steal Urban Meyer right from Notre Dame. Ain't life grand!! Go Gators!!

As mentioned, Spurrier was never even on the list. Florida started contacting Utah as soon as Zook was fired. Once Spurrier learned he wasn't going to be asked, he announced that he wasn't interested.
Meyer was already verbally set with UF before Notre Dame fired Willingham; it just wasn't official yet.

As for Utah, we won't learn a thing about them if they win. So what, they beat a 9-3 team. What does that prove?

Now to recruiting, yes, it's a big deal, but it's far from everything. Look at Texas; they're in the top 5 for recruiting every year, and have been since Brown has been coaching there, yet this is the first time they've been in a BCS game.

I think ND is in trouble. They have upset a lot of alumni and boosters, on both sides of the Willingham issue. There are a ton of angles that opposing coaches can take in the recruiting battle, and that will be true even after they settle for a new coach. When there was speculation of Willingham being fired (he tied the noose himself last off-season, BTW), someone very high in their athletic department, when asked who was on the list of replacement coaches, said "There's only one person on the list; Meyer." Oops. Now add to that 2 pro coaches turning them down, and at least one other college coach.

And even all of this doesn't take into account the scholastic issues that may continue to affect them. They were able to get away with it before, but I think that's getting more and more difficult now. Willingham graduated 99% of his players, but he's not there anymore.

ousnake, I think the reason people aren't talking about college football much is that now everyone's disappointed because it's even more of a debacle than it was. After '97, they said they had the solution. Every year, as another flaw has been found, they've tweaked that "solution"; and every year their tweaks have done nothing but create another problem. In this case, the problem goes back to some of the problems we had that they had previously "fixed". It's very discouraging to witness.

A few years ago, they decided that there wasn't enough emphasis on strength of schedule, and the "wrong" teams were playing for the championship. So they bolstered that, and added the quality wins. Then last year the strength of schedule set up situations where games like SMU-Rice affected who plays for the national championship; again, the "wrong" teams played; the strength of schedule played too much of a role now. So what's the solution? Well, clearly it has to be to completely throw out strength of schedule and quality wins.

You now have a situation where the criteria to get into the national championship game shifts each year, and it just makes the sport look dumb.

No matter how many teams you have playing, the team that finishes ranked at X+1 is going to be upset. If they were setting it up this year, I'd like the see the 4 undefeateds (no, I'm not counting Boise State) play small tournament. But they didn't ask me.

Dave

ousnakebyte
12/09/2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I kinda do, back after back has done really good in college. When you play some schools like Marys school of the blind, 300 yards are not that unrealistic to run in a game. If there was a playoff, I seem to like 8 teams, you could see what players could carry a team to a championship. I think what a running back did in 4 playoff games would mean more to me then what he did all year. But that's just my take, not sure it made sence, really rushed.

Yeah, that makes since, and I hadn't really thought about it that way. That is certainly another intangible in favor of a playoff. But, the best play college, and the best of the best go to the pros. You might have your best stud in college playing special teams or running the scout team in the pros. Even playing in a college playoff, that person is still playing against kids who will never make it in the pros.

What I'm saying is that there is no way to tell who is going to make it. Some guys just never adjust to the speed of the game or the complexity of the offenses and defenses. Others come out of Nowhere U and are amazing (see Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State).

So, who was the champion last year?

Okay, so I guess I should have said, "Whatever you want to call it, two teams are meeting to TRY TO determine a champion, instead of 8, 16, or 64. The problem, as everyone knows, is that is not enough teams...."

My point here was that two teams are meeting, which is clearly not enough. I never meant to imply that the current system was determining a clear, undisputed champion. Again, dead horse... ;)

Good to hear from ya OYT - sorry I missed the original thread for this year. I was checking back every now and then, but I never saw it. Looks like I missed out on some good smack talkin' :D
Although, after last year's downward spiral at the last two games, I've kept my mouth shut the whole season this year. :bum:

You going to the Orange Bowl?

O'Coralman
12/09/2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
That's usually true since the SEC is usually one of the strongest if not the strongest conference in football but I don't think the SEC was all that great this year. Auburn hurt themselves by playing teams like Louisiana Monroe, The Citadel and Louisiana Tech. I can see them scheduling a couple of gimmies but this group is ridiculous! Too bad they still didn't have USC on the schedule like they did the last two years. BTW, SC won both those games.:D

I would not argue...much on the first point.....second....Mr. White at OU has better #s than last year.......but then he also has a freshman RB that might have helped if not a shot at the H himself.......I am not an OU fan....after all Stoops was a Gator:lol: A SoCal/ Auburn game this year would have settled things. The reason Auburn is better is simple......this year Jason Campbell woke up and played to his potential......he should have been on the Hiesman list. My nackels worth....................Steve

reef fanatic
12/09/2004, 05:02 PM
go sooners, I like it just the way it is since Sooners are in line for another(hopeful) championship.

Old Yeller Tang
12/10/2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by ousnakebyte
Good to hear from ya OYT - sorry I missed the original thread for this year. I was checking back every now and then, but I never saw it. Looks like I missed out on some good smack talkin' :D
Although, after last year's downward spiral at the last two games, I've kept my mouth shut the whole season this year. :bum:

You going to the Orange Bowl?
I wish! I'll prolly be in a sports bar with buddies watchin' the game and at the same time recording it at home so I can see it again with more detail. Ofcourse, if USC loses, I won't have a need to.lol
This is the game I've been wanting to see since LSU crashed the party last year and ruined it for USC. I think the USC, OU matchup is by far more interesting than having Auburn in the mix. You have two heisman candidates on each storied team going at it! What more could you ask for!
I think the team that has the heisman trophy winner will lose the game since the other team will be trying harder to make him look bad and prove to everyone that the best player was indeed on their team. So obviously, I'd like White or Peterson to win the trophy instead!lol

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Wolverine
...When there was speculation of Willingham being fired (he tied the noose himself last off-season, BTW)...
How so? I only ask b/c I really can't remember.

You now have a situation where the criteria to get into the national championship game shifts each year, and it just makes the sport look dumb.
I agree; it loses credibility each year they "tweak" it. But I remain hopeful one day they will run out of "tweaks" and decide a playoff is the only way to decide a champ.

However, regardless of how bad the BCS people and university presidents mess this situation up, the intensity of college football remains unchanged, IMO. Those kids are still fighting for starting positions and trying to make it to the pros. I'll follow my team to the Weed Eater Bowl if they go...

No matter how many teams you have playing, the team that finishes ranked at X+1 is going to be upset. If they were setting it up this year, I'd like the see the 4 undefeateds (no, I'm not counting Boise State) play small tournament. But they didn't ask me.

Dave
That's true, but I think we are all in agreement that we would much rather be arguing over positions eight and nine than two and three.

They didn't ask me either, Dave... ;)

big red
12/10/2004, 09:39 AM
I just don't feel like talking football this year unless it is recruiting.
;)
:mad2:
:rolleye1:

O'Coralman
12/10/2004, 10:09 AM
I wish! I'll prolly be in a sports bar with buddies watchin' the game and at the same time recording it at home so I can see it again with more detail. Ofcourse, if USC loses, I won't have a need to.lol
This is the game I've been wanting to see since LSU crashed the party last year and ruined it for USC. I think the USC, OU matchup is by far more interesting than having Auburn in the mix. You have two heisman candidates on each storied team going at it! What more could you ask for!
I think the team that has the heisman trophy winner will lose the game since the other team will be trying harder to make him look bad and prove to everyone that the best player was indeed on their team. So obviously, I'd like White or Peterson to win the trophy instead!lol

I believe saying Auburn out is not exactlly right. You are somewhat biased. The tigers can run all over most teams and that includes So Cal and OU....as last year means nothing. Also I would not rant about thier weak schedule. The conferences USC and OU play in have plenty of patsies built in.....no need to look elsewhere. It is wll known that the SEC year in and out is a black and blue league. Ask Miami and FSU...they wanted no part of a schedule like the SEC requires, so they joined lesser conferences. No conference...period has the top to bottom depth of the SEC. GA, TN, FL,Auburn,AL, LSU.....Top 25 year after year. Not to mention that most of the bottom feeders can play....heck Vandy took OU to the wire last time they played. Becarefull with excluding Auburn....

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 11:03 AM

After last year (I went to Nawlins, the snake pit... and nursed the mother of all hangovers... it was a good time though - it's Nawlins!), I vowed to not go to another championship game. But, my sister, being the devil she is, called me last Friday explaining that plane tickets to Florida were $140 from DC and, more importantly, that we can stay with our cousin who lives in West Palm Beach....

So, it looks like I will be making the trip to Miami via West Palm Beach. No tickets to the game though - didn't have them last year either, but we managed to score some a few hours before the game. At the very least, I'm in a bar in Miami - there are worse places I could be... :smokin:

If we lose, I am banning myself from all bowl games forever...

I think it's an awesome matchup - one I too am looking forward to. Both these offenses are about as equally balanced as you could ask for, and the defenses will have to stay honest and bring their A game.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no..... NO! You take the Heisman this year - I don't want that curse! It got White last year and Weinke in 2000.

How about this.... Have Alex Smith take it, and then neither school can claim curse.... :rollface:

SoonerBolt
12/10/2004, 11:15 AM
No one ever looks at the what ifs with a 4 team playoff.
What if, Auburn lost this year? your 4 teams would be OU, USC, texas and Cal. Great. OU and USC have to prove they are better than UT and Cal? How worthless is that?

What if OU lost to Cal and texas upset USC. Then you have two one-loss teams in the championship that both lost to other one-loss teams that don't get in the championship. Talk about *****ing. lol

Not only that, but how many of these college kids are going to be able to travel across the country to back-to-back bowl games around the holidays? Take out those fans and you lose some of the atmosphere that makes college football special.

Cal didn't get robbed this year. Their schedule was crap. They should have compensated for playing in the weak PAC-10 by scheduling a solid non-conference game or two.

Auburn didn't get robbed either. Their AD sucked. He lost Bowling Green to OU, then replaced them with the Citadel. If he works (or steals) a solid opponent for that game, they are probably in the championship game. OU's AD made sure their schedule was tough. Auburn's AD scheduled a pushover. Get mad at him instead of the BCS.

There will be no split national championship because the ONLY championship that matters is the BCS. Auburn agreed to that before the season started. They can't now back up and claim, "well we like this system better now" The BCS was created because the conferences were fed up with how bad the human polls were. You can't pick and chose.

Get a real schedule. Win your games. The numbers will shake out.

Schedule a weak schedule. Stay home and whine about being robbed.

greenbean36191
12/10/2004, 11:31 AM
I'm so tired of all of this weak schedule BS. So we had three weak non-conference games... look at your conference. We also beat 3 teams that were ranked in the top ten when we played them. We freakin went undefeated in the SEC. All I hear about is OU fans saying how Auburn had a weak schedule, well who did you play?

SoonerBolt
12/10/2004, 12:27 PM
The Big 12 is as good as the SEC, plus we had good non conference games. Actually our AD taking Bowling Green from Auburn to make our nonconference schedule tougher probably put us in the national championship game. You guys replaced them with the Citadel and it backfired. Get a South Carolina, NC State, anyone and your schedule strength would have been helped. Your AD sucked.

Actually I think OU should be playing Auburn in the championship game. Those two had the best schedules overall. USC is just there because they were preseason #1. That's the problem with human polls that makes the BCS the best system.

I think the Big East should lose their automatic seed now that their conference sucks. Replace that with another at large bid and Cal is in the BCS like it should be this year.

"ranked in the top ten when we played them" That's the problem...they didn't prove over the course of the season to be that level of quality teams. LSU was a big win at the time, but now it doesn't look nearly as big...because LSU proved to be a weaker team later.

OU has a dominating win over texas...that trumps anything Auburn can put on the table. Both Auburn and OU can put about 5 wins on the table that USC can't match up with. They basically have their preseason ranking and a narrow win over Cal to claim.

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 12:41 PM
I believe saying Auburn out is not exactlly right. You are somewhat biased. The tigers can run all over most teams and that includes So Cal and OU....as last year means nothing.
Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know b/c they won't play - and that's the tragedy of the current system.

Also I would not rant about thier weak schedule. The conferences USC and OU play in have plenty of patsies built in.....no need to look elsewhere. It is wll known that the SEC year in and out is a black and blue league. Ask Miami and FSU...they wanted no part of a schedule like the SEC requires, so they joined lesser conferences. No conference...period has the top to bottom depth of the SEC. GA, TN, FL,Auburn,AL, LSU.....Top 25 year after year.
Sure, every conference has those. But, in any given year, a conference can have up and down times. But to say the SEC is the best conference ever and always, is also biased. For example, in any given year, the Big 12 can be brutal with Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and Colorado (maybe Ok State and Texas Tech). Was the Big 12 down this year? You betcha - especially the North. Will it stay that way - probably not...

...Not to mention that most of the bottom feeders can play....heck Vandy took OU to the wire last time they played. Becarefull with excluding Auburn....
Well, that OU vs. Vandy game you are referring to happened September 10, 1977.... OU 25 - Vandy 23. www.soonerstats.com (http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=58)

I was a wee 10 months of age, and OU was still in the Big 8.... not quite sure how that supports anything.... If you can't compare last year's games to this year's matchups, you certainly can't compare what happened 27 years ago.

Having said all that, Auburn is certainly worthy of a shot at the title. It's a shame they won't get their well-earned chance.

ADBtie
12/10/2004, 01:09 PM
All I hear about is OU fans saying how Auburn had a weak schedule, well who did you play?

Hope you want to hear it again from this OU fan...Auburn had a week schedule...get over it...the bowl picks are done

O'Coralman
12/10/2004, 01:19 PM
I'm so tired of all of this weak schedule BS. So we had three weak non-conference games... look at your conference. We also beat 3 teams that were ranked in the top ten when we played them. We freakin went undefeated in the SEC. All I hear about is OU fans saying how Auburn had a weak schedule, well who did you play?
Greenbean....right on the head......I believe the Sooners had trouble with a tx am team or was it tech........Miss St.......did not.... and they are an SEC doormat right now. Look at OU and thier history with the SEC....lets say Vanderbilt, whom you manage to scoot by. Heck you Sooners needed an SEC asst coach to come bail your program out. OU did not by any stretch have a tough schedule...in fact square them up to Auburn team for team as Ga, TN ,FL,and so on. Not TX tech and am and so on....built in conf patsies.........open your biased eyes. Were you in Auburns shoes your song would be different.

To answer..SoonerBolt you spout politics not on the field football. Again were you in Auburns shoes your political jive would tilt the other way....spin it how you want.......it not football. You should be an AD, as you think like they do....they don't know squat about the game itself. The Citadel ...a service academy. Bowling Green.....who?

Old Yeller Tang
12/10/2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by SoonerBolt
The Big 12 is as good as the SEC, plus we had good non conference games. Actually our AD taking Bowling Green from Auburn to make our nonconference schedule tougher probably put us in the national championship game. You guys replaced them with the Citadel and it backfired. Get a South Carolina, NC State, anyone and your schedule strength would have been helped. Your AD sucked.
FYI, the Pac 10 was ranked the toughest conference most of the year but I didn't get the chance to see the latest conference rankings. I'm sure they're still definitely in the top 3. The only good non-conference game I thought OU played was against Oregon but Oregon had a bad year. I just hope OU plays Oregon next year in Eugene so they can see just how tough it is to play there! Stoops oughta ask his brother how tough it is to win in the Pac 10. I'm sure he'll be talking to him plenty about stopping USC!:D
I was upset when Miami backed out against USC in the inaugural game this year, being replaced by Virginia Tech which turned out great since VTech turned out to be the best team in the ACC anyhow. Too bad USC didn't play Auburn this year as they could possibly have beatin' the best in the SEC, ACC and if they beat OU, the Big12 as well!

Actually I think OU should be playing Auburn in the championship game. Those two had the best schedules overall. USC is just there because they were preseason #1. That's the problem with human polls that makes the BCS the best system.
LOL! Do you want to lose to another SEC school in the Championship Game.:lol:

No one ever looks at the what ifs with a 4 team playoff.
What if, Auburn lost this year? your 4 teams would be OU, USC, texas and Cal. Great. OU and USC have to prove they are better than UT and Cal? How worthless is that?

What if OU lost to Cal and texas upset USC. Then you have two one-loss teams in the championship that both lost to other one-loss teams that don't get in the championship. Talk about *****ing. lol
Best thing you've mentioned so far!:) I've mentioned that many times before! Playoffs don't always give you the best team in country cause even a 2-loss team could end up winning it all, like Virginia Tech!

I think the Big East should lose their automatic seed now that their conference sucks. Replace that with another at large bid and Cal is in the BCS like it should be this year.
2nd best thing you've mentioned so far. I say screw automatic seeds from power conferences! Just take the top 8 teams period!

"ranked in the top ten when we played them" That's the problem...they didn't prove over the course of the season to be that level of quality teams. LSU was a big win at the time, but now it doesn't look nearly as big...because LSU proved to be a weaker team later.
I knew LSU was a one-year wonder! The SEC is a very good conference but this year I don't see any SEC school worthy of the top 10 other than Auburn. Whereas, the Pac 10 and Big 12 have 2 teams each in the top 5!:bum: I still feel the best 2 teams are facing eachother in the Championship Game! Hopefully VTech takes care of Auburn so we don't have to worry about anyone else staking claim to #1.

OU has a dominating win over texas...that trumps anything Auburn can put on the table. Both Auburn and OU can put about 5 wins on the table that USC can't match up with. They basically have their preseason ranking and a narrow win over Cal to claim.
How about OU's narrow wins over KSt, OSU and A&M!
Once again, the Pac 10 wasn't so weak this year. If it weren't for some key injuries to UCLA, ASU, and even CAL, you would see much better records than listed. If Cal hadn't lost 2 top receivers, they can easily make a run for the national championship. UCLA and ASU lost their starting RB's for most of the season or else they'd be ranked a lot higher. Oregon St went to LSU and lost the game because of a lame kicker.
Not USC's fault that BYU, Colorado St and Notre Dame had down years. Year in and year out, USC goes out and plays anybody!

SoonerBolt
12/10/2004, 02:30 PM
OYT, you seem to be making a lot of excuses for the PAC-10 teams on why they are weak (RB was hurt, kicker sucks, etc). :) The fact is, they are weak. :)

Give me a healthy Jason White and I'll play any SEC team for a national title any day...including LSU. We almost beat them with our QB barely able to move.

I completely agree though that Auburn should have played USC this year. They chickened out of that trip to SoCal after USC played them at home already. Another great reason why Auburn shouldn't be whining about being left out. Play the games you committed to instead of softening up your schedule and that wouldn't have happened. Bowling Green and USC were taken off the Auburn schedule this year and replaced with NO ONE University.

You don't want to argue about narrow wins if you are a USC fan...that's living in a glass house and throwing rocks.

The point we agree on...A playoff system in college football would almost guarantee the two best teams DO NOT meet in the finals. There are always upsets in football. You can't play a legitimate playoff system like a 7 game series to find out the best team. That plus playoffs are hampered because they are never reseeded. How many crappy Super Bowls did we have to watch because Dallas and SF were the best teams in the NFL by far and they were both stuck in the NFC? As long as its a one-game playoff it will be flawed. Maybe entertaining, but not accurate.

O'Coralman gets the award for some of the weakest logic I've ever seen. OU vs Vandy is supposed to mean something in 2004? If you think the Citadel was a good schedule because its a service academy then you are in your own world. Most of the experts have applauded OU for getting Bowling Green because that increased our strength of schedule enough to make the difference. Auburn in the mean time ducked USC and jumped at the chance to lighten the schedule again when BG opted out of the game by adding the Citadel.

Old Yeller Tang
12/10/2004, 02:52 PM
OYT, you seem to be making a lot of excuses for the PAC-10 teams on why they are weak (RB was hurt, kicker sucks, etc). :) The fact is, they are weak. :)
Once again, check your power ratings!:rolleye1:

Give me a healthy Jason White and I'll play any SEC team for a national title any day...including LSU. We almost beat them with our QB barely able to move.
Give me a 6 year QB and USC beats some of the weaker NFL teams!:lol:

You don't want to argue about narrow wins if you are a USC fan...that's living in a glass house and throwing rocks.
I think close games help make a team better in the long run. Wouldn't ya' agree! Look what happened to OU last year when they were blowing everybody out and then when they finally had to play a tight game, they choked both times!:p

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 02:56 PM
Greenbean....right on the head......I believe the Sooners had trouble with a tx am team or was it tech........Miss St.......did not.... and they are an SEC doormat right now.
I can't find a record of Miss St playing any Big 12 team this year. Did I miss something? Mississippi State (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/clubhouse?collegeId=344)

Look at OU and thier history with the SEC....lets say Vanderbilt, whom you manage to scoot by.
Okay, lets. OU is 19-9-3 vs the SEC in its history. www.soonerstats.com - SEC (http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/series/index.cfm?Affiliation=SEC)

You seem to like Vanderbilt. OU is 2-0-1 vs Vandy, lifetime. Refer to the link I posted above. The tie, fyi, happened in 1933....

Against the SEC, OU only has a losing recored to Mississippi at 0-1 (Independence Bowl, 1999). They are tied with LSU and Tennessee at 1-1.

If you take out the 10-4-1 record against Arkansas (SEC newcomer), the record is still 9-5-2 in favor of OU vs SEC opponents. (Even though OU has a win against Arkansas in 2001, which would bring that total to 10-5-2 against SEC opponents...)

OU has never played Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, or Mississippi St.

What was your point with this statement?

Heck you Sooners needed an SEC asst coach to come bail your program out.

Okay, now you are just making a ridiculous statement. OU did not go to the SEC to find a coach. They went to get Bob Stoops, who happened to be at Florida, an SEC school. Coincidentally, Stoops was at Kansas State before that. I guess you could say that an SEC school had to go to the Big 12 to get an assistant coach.... Both statements are just dumb.

OU did not by any stretch have a tough schedule...in fact square them up to Auburn team for team as Ga, TN ,FL,and so on. Not TX tech and am and so on....built in conf patsies.........open your biased eyes. Were you in Auburns shoes your song would be different.
Now you sound just as dumb as those saying Auburn doesn't deserve a shot at the title.

O'Coralman
12/10/2004, 03:30 PM
Seems like we all have been expressing our personal views here and using facts to spin truths, like a tornado from the west.....and it all comes down to who is supporting thier team.......so we are at least talking football.....:D Was'nt that the idea here to talk football.........for the record......Josh White should get the H.......his freshman stallion withstanding(one cannot deny his impact on Whites better than '03 #s)

Now lets all argue when OU or USC are finished and see who spins who......and the winner gets Auburn:p Passion burns bright by those with something to lose........Sooner or later...I mean Trojan.

I would not count the SEC down by one years games....we have for years raised the bar...and will again. Spurrier will see to that. He belongs back in football....in The conference....SEC. All i am doing is what you others are doing.......showing support for my conference and it teams. Weak is a matter of opinion......fact is only recentlly have PAC teams displayed SEC type strength. OU, TX, and NEB......thats it....everyone else is patsy. Kinda makes for easy padding on the record.

Alabama is a QB away from great........hope OU and So Cal enjoy the off year......'cause there won't be many. Remeber words are cheap when your on top.....stay there for decades as Sothern football has and then we will talk. Till then WAR EAGLE!
Go Vols! ROLL TIDE! How 'Bout Them Dawgs? "Bout Them Tigers
?....Go Gators!............
:cool:

Old Yeller Tang
12/10/2004, 04:01 PM
Seems like we all have been expressing our personal views here and using facts to spin truths, like a tornado from the west.....and it all comes down to who is supporting thier team.......so we are at least talking football.....:D Was'nt that the idea here to talk football.........
I'm down with that! I think we wouldn't have good conversation if we didn't have die-hard supporters.
1st off, I do read what everyone else has to say and sometimes enlightened and most often not!:D I like to support West Coast Football cause I know already most of the nation won't(just look at what they did to Cal)!

Auburn fans, I feel your pain! I had to deal with it last year but at least USC was able to split the title whereas I don't think Auburn will be given that chance.:(

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 04:02 PM
who said nobody was talking

Agreed! Thanks for keeping the thread active and alive fellas!

Check this out. In my search of history's stats, I found out that OU is 2-5-1 vs USC lifetime, including an 0-4 stretch since 1981. Dang it! :mad: ;)

OU vs USC (http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=87)

Oh well, this gives us more incentive to go out there and try to get the score closer to even. I should tell Stoops this... :rollface:

OU :uzi:USC

OU :blown: USC

USC:hammer: OU

:cool:

O'Coralman
12/10/2004, 04:35 PM
It is interesting teams records over time against each other. We should remember alot of players with teams were not on the field during those games and the past does nothing to assure a victory in the future. If that was the case....the USA would always win the gold in roundball during five ring time(olympics).

Steve

ousnakebyte
12/10/2004, 04:52 PM
Well, it's sort of in tune with college ball... This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a looooong time...

Listeater (http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/1140042.html)

And here is the Longhorn Board where they are talking about it:

Horn Board (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=3003438&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

One more:

The Battalion (http://www.thebatt.com/news/827392.html?mkey=1459993)

Have a nice laugh...

Cheers
Mike

Wolverine
12/11/2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ousnakebyte
How so? I only ask b/c I really can't remember.

You don't remember because it happened behind closed doors. After last season, it was, we'll say "strongly recommended" that Willingham replace his offensive coordinator and special teams coach. His response was that he had the best coaches in the country, and he would not replace them. To back up his claims, he then guaranteed that the team would be in a BCS bowl this year. That ended up looking like a bad decision right around the halftime of the BYU game. The word was that he would be given a second chance if he beat USC.

It would have probably been better had ND let this information out before firing him (I learned about it around midseason).

Dave

reef fanatic
12/11/2004, 11:10 PM
well, I believe White was robbed of the Heisman since he did seem to be a better QB than last year. I am sure it all came down to politics as usual. I just hope the curse proves to continue thru to this year then too ( heisman = team loses championship).......
GO SOONERS

skilos1
12/16/2004, 03:29 AM
Just FYI, auburn fulfilled its home and home with USC.. But to base the previous games off of this years team is ridiculous. The OOC would have made a marginal difference in the computers if any. What hurt was Arkansas losing to Texas on a fumbled ball by matt jones at the end of the game. Also Tennessee losing to Notre Dame. If both of those SEC teams would have beaten their opponents Auburn would be a consensus number one in the computers. Everyone says the SEC is down but the conference as a whole has 5 teams ranked in the top 25 and this is supposedly on a bad year. And roland, I thought you knew better than to down AU :)

O'Coralman
12/16/2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by skilos1
Just FYI, auburn fulfilled its home and home with USC.. But to base the previous games off of this years team is ridiculous. The OOC would have made a marginal difference in the computers if any. What hurt was Arkansas losing to Texas on a fumbled ball by matt jones at the end of the game. Also Tennessee losing to Notre Dame. If both of those SEC teams would have beaten their opponents Auburn would be a consensus number one in the computers. Everyone says the SEC is down but the conference as a whole has 5 teams ranked in the top 25 and this is supposedly on a bad year. And roland, I thought you knew better than to down AU :)

I agree....if TN does win and Ark does....the tigers are in......seems a shame. Aytway go SEC...............Steve

Old Yeller Tang
12/16/2004, 11:39 AM
Well, isn't that what kept USC out last year? If so-&-so had beatin' so-&-so, then USC would've gone instead of LSU!:mad: But in all respect, I don't think one's fate should rely on what other's do. Every game is different. Take the Tenn-ND game for instance. How in the heck does ND win that game on the road when USC blows them out by 31! Does that mean USC would blow Tenn out by 41 and since Tenn played Auburn close then USC would then beat Auburn by 21? Absolutely not! That's why computers should'nt have much say so! But when you have idiot voters who are swayed by a whining coach and have their own alternative motive($Big 12$), it's really hard at times to find the right deserving teams to play in the all important BCS games.
You don't have to tell me about Texas losing to Arkansas by a stupid fumble or how they squeezed by Kansas and Missouri and should've lost to OSU had not that miracle comeback taken place but yet they were still able to bamboozle the voters with a crybaby coach!:mad: Tell me how a team jumps over another team when they're idle that week and the other team(CAL) wins a tough game on the road! I mean Cal's score doesn't look that impressive but I know the voters had to be watching that game since it was on primetime and could easily see how Cal dominated that sloppy game by racking up over 500yds of offense but had to play their worst game of the season at the most inopportune time. Lucky for Texas their last game wasn't against Kansas!

Chris,

You know I have love for Auburn!:D Since you haven't posted on RC in awhile, I had to say something to get you to post again!:lol: I would've liked to see the matchup this year moreso than the last two even when both teams were highly ranked last year when they met and it was a tough fought game throughout until USC took over late in the game. Auburn is better than last year and I don't think USC is as good as last year but had Mike Williams been eligible, then USC would most likely have been a lot better than last year's team. But you know football and you gotta admit the SEC was not that tough this year. I mean, Tenn is the 2nd best team in the conference and they were not that good. I've said over and over again that the SEC is usually the best conference year-in and year-out but not this year!

And for those who think Leinart shouldn't have won the Heisman, I can somewhat agree with that since I thought JJ Arringtion was the best player in the country but since it's a popularity vote(remember last year!:p), JJ had no chance what-so-ever!:( What a joke he wasn't even invited! Everyone talked about Peterson, White, Bush and Leinhart on what they did on their last game but JJ outshown them all with a 261yd performance and could've easily been close to 300yds had the lame refs not make a bad call and took away a long TD run he made. JJ averaged more yards per carry than any other RB in the major conferences and he did that when his team's receiving corps were completely dismantled with injuries but yet he still got his yards! Case closed for me.
As for Leinart, he did run an offense that was very inexperienced, consisting mainly of freshman and soph's, so that's what's most impressive to me. His line was very inexperienced but yet he was able to make big plays. I thought he would be sacked and rushed big time this year with that young line but still had a better year than last even though he had many and I mean many dropped passes from his young receivers. They'll only be stronger next year especially since Leinhart will be back to guide this team again but even if he does leave, John David Booty is ready to shine as well!:) I bet USC is ranked #1 in the preseason polls next year regardless of what happens in the Orange Bowl. They are loaded!:eek1:

Roland

skilos1
12/16/2004, 12:15 PM
I agree that the bottom feeders in the SEC are a little worse than they normally are but 5 ranked teams on a bad year is still better than any other conference out there.

They should have atleast invited Jason Campbell to the heisman ceremonies. He had 27 of 35 passes for a career-high 374 yards and three touchdowns and also rushed for 57 in the game against tennessee. He's been throwing like that this whole season and he doesn't even get an invite? 177 of 254 69.7% 2,511 yards 9.9 yp/a 18 tds 6 int 171.4 qb rating.

I sent you an email roland, did you get it?

Old Yeller Tang
01/05/2005, 03:51 AM
Cal didn't get robbed this year. Their schedule was crap. They should have compensated for playing in the weak PAC-10 by scheduling a solid non-conference game or two.

OYT, you seem to be making a lot of excuses for the PAC-10 teams on why they are weak (RB was hurt, kicker sucks, etc). The fact is, they are weak.

Well, Cal was a dissappointment but I'm sure they still weren't over being dissed and still had their heads down in the meaningless Holiday Bowl. There, had one more excuse for you!:D

Hmm....Pac 10 being so weak, why did they give USC more trouble and tougher games than Big 12 Champ, OU!:lol:

NOT! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by reef fanatic
well, I believe White was robbed of the Heisman since he did seem to be a better QB than last year. I am sure it all came down to politics as usual. I just hope the curse proves to continue thru to this year then too ( heisman = team loses championship).......
GO SOONERS
LOL! Well, I guess finally justice was served as the most rewarding player received the Heisman! White and Peterson definitely didn't look like Heisman players to me. Looks like Peterson finally faced a real defense that tackles and White was left facing the same situation he was last year when they couldn't run against LSwho!

I wished OU would've beaten LSwho last year as I would've liked to have seen White win a National Title, plus LSwho was exactly the one year wonder I had them pegged to be! If that game would've been played at a more nuetral site, OU would've won!

I really don't think USC will split the title with Auburn. Would be nice to have seen them play eachother but I still feel confident that USC would've done the same to Auburn as they did OU. USC has blown out their opponents in their last 3 bowl games. Last year was a bit different since USC was ranked #1 in both polls before the bowl games whereas Auburn isn't and didn't make an impressive statement against VT by not even covering the spread and winning only by 3 at a neutral field to a team USC beat by 11 in their backyard.
I know Las Vegas is laughing all the way to the bank as all the money was being placed on OU in the last minute as OU was actually favored in some lines right before gametime.

USC is a dynasty in the making! 16 starters back for next year and if Leinart leaves, John Booty is ready to take over and continue the DOMINANCE!:D
I actually like the AP trophy better! The BCS is probably meaningless now that the AP pulled out of it.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0104/photo/usc_warlft.jpg

V4m8ION
01/05/2005, 03:56 AM
FIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!

jeffbrig
01/05/2005, 09:40 AM
Congrats to the USC fans, that was quite a performance yesterday. I admit, I was pulling for the Sooners in this game. I'm a Gator alum, so I have a certain loyalty to Bob Stoops - his defense was what allowed us to win our championship back in 1996.

O'Coralman
01/05/2005, 10:01 AM
I am an SEC man....
Go Vols
Congrats to USC.......but USC/Auburn and OU/Virg. T would hind sight allowing been a better set of games.

As to a dynasty....hehehe Florida is reloading and Meyer will bring a big lift. Tn has signed the top center in the nation the second best rated QB (nevermind Ainge and Schafer) they have recievers that if USC had them....nobody anywhere could have stayed with them and graduation losses were minimal. Tn has two 1000 yrd backs this yr. and one will be there next year. We manhandled A&M, with a third string QB. Most of the year we played against Seniors with our Sophs and Freshmen. LSU will be better off without Sadboy(what was he thinking on that last play....defensive wise)? The SEC will take over next year. Texas( i know they are not in the SEC) will be great....that QB is a hoss. Auburn will drop. Alabama is a QB away from badass.

Dynasty we shall see......as it seems when people star spouting that stuff....next year ain't what they expect. Oh and how about that Cal? How many teams in the Pac-has been besides USC were there at the end? Zero....that says alot for strenght of schedule. We all know USC was at the top and all they had to do was cake walk throught the Pac teams.
To close my rant....come play ball in the South....USC and see if you can run the table.........would be interesting. Cal damn sure would'nt.

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 11:01 AM
well, i am an OU fan too and can take it like a man. USC was the better team and showed why they are #1. Seeing several bowl games this year, I know AU had nothing for USC and probably would not have beaten USC with the help of another team.They only beat VT by 3 for gosh sakes. Any ways my big beef with OU defenders was that they never looked for the ball or even tryed to defend a pass as it came into the receivers hands, just plain watched it. Oh well, better luck next year. CONGRATS USC fans........and AU fans , quit whining and take it like us OU fans.

Scott

skilos1
01/05/2005, 11:16 AM
Did you watch the vt game with auburn? We ran the ball up the middle the whole 4th quarter. They scored 13 points on us, the same amount of points they scored on usc. If not for conservative play calling in the 3rd and 4th quarter we would have blown vt out. Wide recievers were open all day, congrats to usc for winning but you can't say that they are undisputable national champs because auburn won all of their games too. The game wasn't as close as 3 points and anyone who knows college football could see that. 1 play action pass would have been a touchdown in the fourth quarter, auburn was running at 10 in the box every down. all that was proven last night was that oklahoma didn't deserve to be there. And as for whiney auburn fans, we soon forget who was whining at the end of last year when they got the split and shared it with LSU. Amazing how being on the other side of things changes your perspective drastically about being left out.

SoonerBolt
01/05/2005, 11:18 AM
Congrats to USC. They beat us in very area. Their players played the game of their lives when they needed it and made amazing plays. Ours played one of their worst of the year and laid an egg.

I guess now I'll have to hope my Chargers don't blow up like that in the playoffs. :)

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 12:29 PM
ok, skilos, we all have our own opinion of the Au/VT game, I , as well as others seem to think VT may have won that game with a few more minutes.Yes they were losing, but a missed field goal and several other missed opps, they played close to AU. And as you say conservative play calling????, who plays conservative with a 9-0 lead..........USC sure wouldnt have. You seem to think otherwise. I agree to disagree, nuff said. Congrats USC from an OU fan.

O'Coralman
01/05/2005, 12:37 PM
Footballl facts as follows.....

USC are the National champs.......

Two MAJOR Universities finished undeafeated.....o.k three counting Utah.

One of those schools will finish #2.....without the chance to play #1 for the title even though they too are undefeated. Seems somewhat assuming to call yourself #1 when you do not play the undefeated #2 and know you should.

The system is in need of overhaul.....its the only part of college athletics that settles things this way. No other sport at any level in college athletics does this.....Why? The others settle things on the field/court/pool....take your pick.

OU fans would whine.....make no mistake they would if they were in Auburns shoes. They are not so its easy to say "quit your whining"

Its all politics........period. If not the system would have seen the error of its ways last year when LSU needed to play the other undefeated team....which they did'nt and should'nt have called themselves #1.

V4m8ION
01/05/2005, 12:37 PM
The Auburn whining makes me laugh. I believe USC has beaten them the last two times that they have played.

If USC played and beat them yesterday they would be whining about how they could still beat USC today.

The USC fans may have whined last year. It does not compare to the Auburn players and Coach begging and groveling.

Koudos to the Sooner fans for showing some class. I personally have not heard or read about them complaining. Especially with the media being so harsh. Maybe we can do it again next year.

O'Coralman
01/05/2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by V4m8ION
The Auburn whining makes me laugh. I believe USC has beaten them the last two times that they have played.

If USC played and beat them yesterday they would be whining about how they could still beat USC today.

The USC fans may have whined last year. It does not compare to the Auburn players and Coach begging and groveling.

Koudos to the Sooner fans for showing some class. I personally have not heard or read about them complaining. Especially with the media being so harsh. Maybe we can do it again next year.

Last years games do not count this year.....you know that and that is why its easy to say what you have. You speak like a true USC fan who....see above wants to count last year this year. By your opinion....UCLA should be better 'cause in past years they have beaten USC......
This is a what have you done this year world.....when talking how good you are. One thing is for sure you do not have to back up idle words.....'cause you do not have to play Auburn. USC was put on top in the beginning....and all they had to do was win out....not have a play-off.....just run through a patsy schedule. One more thing look in the final top ten and see how many Pac schools are there......that should put things in perspective. Other than USC.....again Zero. See where Tn, Ga, Auburn and LSU finish(top 10 i'll bet)......you do not play these guys week in and out. Lets see which conf has the most....the Big 10 will have more than the Pac-folks....'nuff said

V4m8ION
01/05/2005, 12:52 PM
Like I said, "The Auburn whining makes me laugh."

srit1
01/05/2005, 01:05 PM
Cal is in the top 10... even after their loss to TT

so thats 2 Pac 10 in the top 10 and 2 SEC in the top 10...

and given that we have no other basis for comparison last year's win by USC counts more than anything Auburn can say. But once again I ask, why is Auburn better than Utah?

O'Coralman
01/05/2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by V4m8ION
Like I said, "The Auburn whining makes me laugh."

The Vols have beaten the Gators the last 2 yrs.....so Gator fans by the words of V4m8ION....you have no chance, so dot not even bother to show up. Do not think Vol fans are of this opinion......

Mr. V48....pleases address the football facts above with your wisdom. I noticed all you can type is conjecture and the word whining. Please address the above facts and try to be unbiased as the facts are not biased.....they are stone cold truths Notice I put LSU in the hot seat as they too should not brag anymore about #1 than USC fans(#2 was also undefeated last year and they whined) who do not have to play Auburn. Kinda like hiding behind a big kid while you taunt another big kid. You know you won't have to back up anything, only this time the big kid is politics. Imagine a AU/OU.....game this year and you were undefeated........your whine would not be Mogen-David. Oh! yes it would....the Maddog 20/20 version.

srit1
01/05/2005, 01:16 PM
USC wasnt #2 last year in either major poll. #1 in both. Auburn cant even come close to even saying that.

skilos1
01/05/2005, 01:20 PM
Your logic is flawed beyond reason to compare last years win to this year. The simple fact is, no one knows what would happen if they played today. USC lost to cal last year, so by your twisted logic they should have lost to cal this year. Wait they almost did by a missed touchdown. I guess we can forget about struggling with stanford, ucla and oregon state. You guys also beat us the year before last by a field goal, i guess we'll go ahead and take washington state off of your win record this year too. Fact is UGA and LSU beat us last year, we beat them this year. To say that just because USC beat us last year should entitle you to believe they would beat Auburn this year is laughable. And USC allowed 13 points to VT as well as auburn. USC won by 11 and auburn would have won by 10 if it weren't for the conservative play calling. You can't play what ifs because the same could be said the other way, what if virginia tech didn't show up like oklahoma in our game. What if auburn scored 50 points on virginia tech. We weren't playing conservative with a 9 point lead we were playing conservative 16-0 in the middle of the 3rd quarter against the number 4 total defense in the nation. It was only close after a busted coverage late in the 4th quarter. What if auburn would have scored touchdowns in the redzone instead of the three field goals that were made. We would have been up 21-0, you can't play what ifs because it could easily go the other way around. The fact is there are 2 undefeated teams in major bcs conferences and you can't distinguish a dimes bit of difference between the 2 without the 2 playing this year.

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 01:22 PM
I think O'Coralman drank too much Irish "sauce" last night for his own good.

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 01:29 PM
ok Skilos and Ocoralman, just for sake of arguing, why does AU go ahead of OU in the polls then?? Ou lost to USC NOT AU, AU has not proved they can beat USC or even OU for that matter, so I think OU still places 2nd ONLY to USC. Just wanted to PROVE your own point to you....... Scott

skilos1
01/05/2005, 01:34 PM
Because they got humiliated by USC, they exposed their corners and did what other teams have done to them all year. So quick to forget the 35 points dropped to OK state and Texas A&M, who Tennessee humiliated in a bowl game. Auburn has given up at most 28 points all season in one game, and that was the SEC championship game against Tennessee for the second time. Stanford scored 28 on USC, UCLA scored 24 that's a 4-7 stanford team and a 6-6 UCLA team. Last time I checked tennessee is 10-3 with two of those losses coming from auburn. You can honestly say that you would put a 12-1 team ahead of a 13-0 team in the final polls?

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 01:41 PM
just arguing your own point skilos, AU never beat USC , nor OU and they beat VT by 3....whoopdie ding ding, they almost lost, so make them closer to VT instead of USC, correct?????

skilos1
01/05/2005, 01:47 PM
I don't see how you are arguing my point? We were number 3 coming into the sugar bowl, you don't go down after winning a game. I never said that AU should be ranked above USC only the fact that you can't call USC undisputable national champions.

reef fanatic
01/05/2005, 01:53 PM
nope, but your penalizing OU for playing #1 and commending AU for beating #8 by 3 points.....again, agree to disagree. I guess AU fans are just upset because it doesnt happen very often and may never be back,....hehehehehehe

Old Yeller Tang
01/05/2005, 01:54 PM
Last years games do not count this year.....you know that and that is why its easy to say what you have. You speak like a true USC fan who....see above wants to count last year this year. By your opinion....UCLA should be better 'cause in past years they have beaten USC......
You speak like many SEC fans as well!:lol: Even Tuberville acknowledged how tough it is to stop USC's 3 step drop! Auburn still plays the same style as they did the last 2 yrs so USC would not be facing anything much different than the two last Auburn teams they easily beat the last two years! BTW, it's been a very long time since UCLA has beaten USC!
This is a what have you done this year world.....when talking how good you are. One thing is for sure you do not have to back up idle words.....'cause you do not have to play Auburn. USC was put on top in the beginning....and all they had to do was win out....not have a play-off.....just run through a patsy schedule. One more thing look in the final top ten and see how many Pac schools are there......that should put things in perspective. Other than USC.....again Zero. See where Tn, Ga, Auburn and LSU finish(top 10 i'll bet)......you do not play these guys week in and out. Lets see which conf has the most....the Big 10 will have more than the Pac-folks....'nuff said
Talking like an SEC fan yet again!:rolleyes: :lol:

Auburn fans have a legitimate reason to claim #1, as do Utah! But to say USC coaches and players whined about last year's BCS garbage is so untrue. It was the USC fans that whined and I'll be the first to admit that!:D USC just went out and played and let their game do all the talking. They weren't lobbying for votes! Us fans were disgusted as we watched the sloppy close fought LSwho-OU game knowing USC would easily spank either one of them as you take away the run from any SEC or Big 12 school and it's all she wrote! Why do you think Auburn cake-walked thru the SEC! Because they can pass this year! That's why Florida will cake-walk thru the SEC in the up-coming years with Urban Meyer because they will know how to pass with a pro-style offense that many Pac 10 teams have! But as Florida will become the SEC's best, they will still be the 3rd best team in FLA!:lol: That's why Pac 10 teams will give USC more problems than any out-of-conference teams will because USC can stop the run but a very good passing team is always a threat! That's why Cal should've beatin' USC earlier this year when they still had they're top 3 receivers before they all, ALL got hurt and none played in that Texas Tech debacle! Rodgers had no one to throw to which made a comeback impossible! That is why JJ Arrington is still my Heisman Winner as he is the only, ONLY back to rush for more than a 100yds against USC! Peterson might be nick-named "ALL DAY" but he certainly can't go "ALL NIGHT" against USC's mighty "D"! Arrington's numbers were so awesome but as usual, it was a popularity contest but at least Leinart was true to the award!:bum:

Auburn & Utah fans, I feel your pain! If the sorry BCS would've simply matched Utah against Auburn, the winner of that game would certainly have a gripe! Matching Utah with Pitt was truly an insult and another disrespectful treatment to another West Coast team! Utah is one team I think matches up well with USC but we'll never know!:( Either way, this was truly USC's year! Next year should be the same and even though the SEC spokesman(O'Coralman) talks about all these recruits they will be getting, USC's players are already there and proven!:cool:

As I watch Sportcenter all morning, what more could I ask than seeing my favorite band U2 having a video with the National Champs USC in it! How cool it is!
;)

skilos1
01/05/2005, 01:59 PM
I'm commending auburn for being undefeated, not for beating number 8 vt. You are trying to justify USC beating OU by saying that they are clearly number 1 and no one else should be. Go ahead and turn it into a you've never been there before so that's why you are arguing. Congrats on the 12-1 season.

skilos1
01/05/2005, 02:05 PM
And roland, the pro style offense was used by auburn this year and has been used in the SEC before. Even back in the pat dye era at auburn. And recently in 93 with terry bowden during the undefeated season. Auburn is not running the same style offense as previous years, and the defense is tops in the country. Number 1 in scoring defense. Without playing the game on the field, no one can speculate how two teams can match up. A plus 1 would have served college football well this year. Its the only college sport that the NCAA doesn't recognize a champion in. Everyones national championships in college football division 1 are mythical.

skilos1
01/05/2005, 02:08 PM
i'm done with this thread because its pointless to argue something that will never be proven on the field. Congrats on the national championship USC.

Old Yeller Tang
01/05/2005, 02:35 PM
C'mon Chris! Talking football is great!

Last year, LSwho and OU fans didn't give me the time of day on these threads but as Trojan fans know, we just "Fight On"!:D

Roland

srit1
01/05/2005, 03:17 PM
USC may not be the undisputed natl be the strictest definition, but it is by all the polls, systems, etc. Unlike last year.

And you arent getting the logic about last years game counting. In the context of HAVING NO OTHER COMPARISON last years game is meaningful. Since Cal played USC this year there is another comparison and therefore last year's game is irrelevant.

And I'll second the notion that USC coaches did no whining last year. They said, we'll play our game and see what happens. The media ran with their stroy since they were 1 in BOTH polls. Really Auburn has a pretty weak case here for claiming any share of number 1. Utah's is equal.

O'Coralman
01/05/2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by reef fanatic
I think O'Coralman drank too much Irish "sauce" last night for his own good.
thats it ....instead of answering my facts as it seems nobody on the USC side will.. you blindowls want to resort to slapping out lines and insults...skilos1 is right you guys have run out of smarts. The reason you won't talk about them is because you don't have and inteligent answer.....and we are right... and put the bottle down yourself it is obvious you are the blind one here. bye bye

Old Yeller Tang
01/05/2005, 04:35 PM
thats it ....instead of answering my facts as it seems nobody on the USC side will.. you blindowls want to resort to slapping out lines and insults...
What's the question again as I'll give you an answer w/o resorting to insults even though us Trojan fans are all blindowls.

skilos1 is right you guys have run out of smarts. The reason you won't talk about them is because you don't have and inteligent answer.....and we are right...
You keep talking how USC had it easy but it wasn't so easy. Just cause you think the Pac 10 is super weak and the almighty SEC is so great which basically is all your claim. The SEC struggled just to play .500 in there bowl games so they aren't that powerful! Especially this year! Had Wisconsin and VTech made some easy field goals, the SEC could easily been 1-5 in the bowl games. There is so much balance this year that it probably made it difficult to rank 6 thru 25 as you can pretty much vote anybody there and there won't be much questioning, and how easier it is for the voters to just put familiar teams in the top 25 than to have to go out and really play close attention to those other teams that don't get any respect or recognition. Throw in an SEC team in the top 25 and most will accept it as that's what the media wants us all to believe.

I understand what reef fanatic was trying to say. Just because USC crushed OU, does that really mean now that Auburn is clearly #2? Who's to say Auburn would beat OU to claim the #2 spot if they faced eachother?

The two shocking surprises in the bowl games for me was Texas Tech crushing Cal and Tenn killing A&M! I can see Cal losing due to not shaking off the blues and their many injuries but I thought A&M would win since they were playing in Texas. Tenn really surprised me! Can't believe this was the same team that lost to ND when Oregon St and USC crushed ND, both Pac 10 schools BTW!:D

Old Yeller Tang
01/05/2005, 05:02 PM
Looks like the Pac 10 and the SEC both have two teams in the Top 10 afterall!:lol:
Look at Florida! 5 losses and still in the top 25! Proves my point about the media in my earlier post!:mad2:

Final BCS Poll

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS
1. USC (61) 13-0 1,525 1
Last game: Def. No. 3 Oklahoma 55-19 (Jan. 4)

2. Auburn 13-0 1,460 3
Last game: Def. No. 10 Virginia Tech 16-13 (Jan. 3)

3. Oklahoma 12-1 1,366 2
Last game: Lost to No. 1 USC 55-19 (Jan. 4)

4. Texas 11-1 1,324 5
Last game: Def. No. 12 Michigan 38-37 (Jan. 1)

5. Utah 12-0 1,300 6
Last game: Def. Pittsburgh 35-7 (Jan. 1)

6. Georgia 10-2 1,191 7
Last game: Def. No. 18 Wisconsin 24-21 (Jan. 1)

7. Louisville 11-1 1,166 8
Last game: Def. No. 13 Boise State 44-40 (Dec. 31)

8. Iowa 10-2 1,022 13
Last game: Def. No. 16 LSU 30-25 (Jan. 1)

9. California 10-2 937 4
Last game: Lost to No. 17 Texas Tech 45-31 (Dec. 30)

10. Virginia Tech 10-3 906 9
Last game: Lost to No. 2 Auburn 16-13 (Jan. 3)

11. Miami 9-3 903 14
Last game: Def. No. 25 Florida 27-10 (Dec. 31)

12. Michigan 9-3 802 12
Last game: Lost to No. 4 Texas 38-37 (Jan. 1)

13. Boise State 11-1 792 10
Last game: Lost to No. 7 Louisville 44-40 (Dec. 31)

14. Florida State 9-3 776 15
Last game: Def. West Virginia 30-18 (Jan. 1)

15. Tennessee 10-3 771 17
Last game: Def. Texas A&M 38-7 (Jan. 1)

16. LSU 9-3 693 11
Last game: Lost to No. 8 Iowa 30-25 (Jan. 1)

17. Texas Tech 8-4 478 21
Last game: Def. No. 9 California 45-31 (Dec. 30)

18. Wisconsin 9-3 449 16
Last game: Lost to No. 6 Georgia 24-21 (Jan. 1)

19. Ohio State 8-4 430 22
Last game: Def. Oklahoma State 33-7 (Dec. 29)

20. Arizona State 9-3 377 24
Last game: Def. Purdue 27-23 (Dec. 31)

21. Boston College 9-3 245 NR
Last game: Def. North Carolina 37-24 (Dec. 30)

22. Fresno State 9-3 206 NR
Last game: Def. No. 23 Virginia 37-34 (Dec. 27)

23. Virginia 8-4 157 18
Last game: Lost to No. 22 Fresno State 37-34 (Dec. 27)

24. Navy 10-2 129 NR
Last game: Def. New Mexico 34-19 (Dec. 30)

25. Florida 7-5 101 19
Last game: Lost to No. 11 Miami 27-10 (Dec. 31

srit1
01/05/2005, 09:41 PM
O Coral - heep ignoring my posts and saying no one is making an intelligent arguement, you ignore them because you have no answer.

I think Utah is better than Auburn

mgarland
01/05/2005, 10:49 PM
well i can only say one thing.... ROLL TIDE!!!!! auburn has a good team this year no doubt 13-0 so far so good, but i dont like them ROLL TIDE TILL I DIE!!

greenbean36191
01/05/2005, 11:21 PM
And you arent getting the logic about last years game counting. In the context of HAVING NO OTHER COMPARISON last years game is meaningful.

And you aren't getting that this logic makes no sense. That was a totally different season. It has nothing to do with how good we are this season. We have new players and new coaches. Using your logic LSU is obviously better than OU because they beat them last year and they didn't play this year. Does anyone actually believe LSU is better? I don't think so. If we can tell what is going to happen without even playing why even have a season at all? We can just go by what has happened in the past.

Honestly though, if AU did get a chance at USC and USC played like they did against OU and AU played like they did against VT then USC would win. There is no doubt in my mind. However, if both teams played like they did for the majority of their seasons then it would be a close game.

srit1
01/06/2005, 12:23 AM
once again you missed the key - WHEN NO OTHER COMPARISON EXISTS.. since OU went undefeated until USC, and LSU did not there is another relevant comparison which takes precedence over any game in prior history.

so before you try and give me another example realize that the past only matters if nothing else can be used to make a comparison.

im not saying the past game says much, but USC team is laregly the same minus one Mike Williams and Tommy's comments back then say a lot

Old Yeller Tang
01/06/2005, 05:11 AM
Wednesday, January 5, 2005

By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
The Gatorade isn't even dry on Re-Pete Carroll's back, and already the talk is turning toward next season. Predicting the 2005 Top 25 in January might be the dumbest thing this side of Mark Bradley picking up that bouncing punt -- but it hasn't stopped us.

What follows is the first word on next season:

1. USC Trojans
Why: The answer is as obvious as a Reggie Bush cutback or a LenDale White power run. If even they lose their Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback to the NFL draft, the Trojans could be the unanimous preseason No. 1.

Why not: The only reason to bet against USC is the fact that nobody has won three straight AP national titles.

2. Texas Longhorns
Why: Vince Young will be back behind a veteran offensive line, and the recruits keep flooding into Austin.

Why not: Losing star linebacker Derrick Johnson and running back Cedric Benson will hurt, and Oklahoma is still on the schedule.

3. Michigan Wolverines
Why: Chad Henne, Michael Hart and Steve Breaston make a pretty awesome skill-position trio to build around.

Why not: Wide receiver Braylon Edwards made Henne look good on many occasions. The Wolverines face a major rebuilding job in the secondary.

4. Miami Hurricanes
Why: Something tells us the Hurricanes will be better without Brock Berlin. And the defense should be nasty.

Why not: Larry Coker needs to rekindle a Miami offense that seemed short on playmakers at times this year.

5. Oklahoma Sooners
Why: No team in America has a better building block than Adrian Peterson, and recruiting never slows down in Norman.

Why not: New quarterback. Rebuilt offensive line. Key losses on defense. And did the Sooners lose some of their aura during that mugging in Miami?

6. Tennessee Volunteers
Why: Three proven quarterbacks return, plus plenty of additional experience. And for once, the Volunteers have post-bowl momentum.

Why not: Vols will face significant losses to deal with at running back, offensive line and receiver, and might lose a couple other players to early entry.

7. Iowa Hawkeyes
Why: Almost the entire offense is back, and Kirk Ferentz has firmly established himself as one of the nation's elite coaches.

Why not: The Hawkeyes must do some rebuilding on the defensive front seven.

8. Florida Gators
Why: Take Chris Leak, Andre Caldwell and the rest of that gang, give them some improved coaching from Urban Meyer, and look out.

Why not: Well, losing Channing Crowder and Ciatrick Fason doesn't help. Plus, these guys don't know what it takes to win at the highest level. How quickly can they learn that?

9. Louisville Cardinals
Why: Bobby Petrino stuck around to play mad scientist with dazzling talents like quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush.

Why not: Even with all the players coming back, it's never easy to replace a great quarterback (Stefan LeFors), your top rusher (Eric Shelton) and top receiver (J.R. Russell).

10. LSU Tigers
Why: This team is littered with prep All-Americans, many of whom got valuable experience in a "rebuilding" 9-3 season.

Why not: After losing Nick Saban, it's hard not to think LSU settled for Les with Miles.

11. Virginia Tech Hokies
Why: Because Frank Beamer really doesn't have bad years, and because this year's 9-3 team was built around its junior class.

Why not: Losing quarterback Brian Randall could prove a bigger blow than anyone could have imagined at this time last year. Is Marcus Vick still in the picture?

12. Ohio State Buckeyes
Why: Ted Ginn seems like a wonderful place to start.

Why not: An NCAA investigation could turn into a mushroom cloud over Columbus.

13. Texas A&M Aggies
Why: Dennis Franchione took a step forward in Year Two in College Station. Look for a leap in Year Three.

Why not: Have to be concerned by how the Aggies finished the season, losing four out of five -- including a loss to Baylor and a 31-point shellacking in the Cotton Bowl from underdog Tennessee.

14. Fresno State Bulldogs
Why: Just about everybody of consequence is back from a team that won its last six games, including an upset of Virginia in the Micron PC Bowl. And next season, WAC heavy Boise State must come to Fresno.

Why not: Somebody unexpected always seems to jump up and get Pat Hill's team somewhere along the line.

15. Georgia Bulldogs
Why: Mark Richt's program is just about on autopilot, continually sustaining itself with excellent recruiting and good coaching.

Why not: Even a top-flight program will struggle after losing four-year quarterback David Greene, defensive end David Pollack, most of the receiving corps and probably a couple other defensive stars through early entry.

16. Arizona State Sun Devils
Why: The only major offensive loss is star quarterback Andrew Walter, and his backup, Sam Keller, played great in the Sun Bowl upset of Purdue.

Why not: The defense will have to be largely rebuilt -- and it was shaky at times anyway.

17. Florida State Seminoles
Why: It's not like losing Chris Rix is going to hurt. A good defense in '04 should be sensational in '05.

Why not: Key losses on the offensive line and in the secondary, and you have to wonder whether the talent level has taken an appreciable dip from the halcyon days in Tallahassee.

18. Boise State Broncos
Why: Dan Hawkins' program has a ton of momentum going right now, and brings back a lot of talent. Many people in Boise thought all along that '05 would be the Broncos' best team.

Why not: The offensive and defensive lines were exposed by the superior size and speed of Louisville in the Liberty Bowl.

19. Texas Tech Red Raiders
Why: Mike Leach will plug in another 4,000-yard quarterback and drive defensive coordinators crazy.

Why not: The Red Raiders still have to compete with Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M in the murderous Big 12 South.

20. Bowling Green Falcons
Why: If Matt Leinart goes pro, Omar Jacobs might be the top returning quarterback in the country. Coach Gregg Brandon deserves to see his name on future hot lists.

Why not: Most of Jacobs' receiving corps is gone.

21. Auburn Tigers
Why: Tigers should be very good up front on both sides of the ball, and bring back a posse of quality receivers.

Why not: No team could lose quarterback Jason Campbell, running backs Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown and defensive backs Carlos Rogers and Junior Rosegreen without some serious slippage.

22. Virginia Cavaliers
Why: The program has become an annual contender under Al Groh. Cavaliers' brightest skill-position stars are back (as long as stud tight end Heath Miller doesn't opt to go pro early).

Why not: There are some big losses to deal with on both lines, most notably offensive lineman Elton Brown, and Virginia didn't prove up to the task of taking down the ACC big boys last year.

23. Pittsburgh Panthers
Why: Resourceful quarterback Tyler Palko leads a strong cast of returning players.

Why not: Does Dave Wannstedt know what he's doing on the college level? For that matter, did he know what he was doing on the pro level?

24. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Why: Plenty of players back from the Champs Sports Bowl champions, including almost the entire defense.

Why not: In three years under Chan Gailey, Tech has not been able to push past "decent" and into "good."

25. Iowa State Cyclones
Why: Quarterback Brett Meyer and wide receiver Todd Blythe, both sophomores, will be one of the top tandems in the country. Playing in the Big 12 North will help the Cyclones' record.

Why not: We'll see how this program performs with a bullseye (admittedly, a small bullseye) on its back.

Another Dozen To Watch
Alabama, Boston College, California, Colorado, Colorado State, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Purdue, South Carolina, Toledo, Utah and Wyoming.

jeffbrig
01/07/2005, 12:13 AM
8. Florida Gators
Why not: Well, losing Channing Crowder and Ciatrick Fason doesn't help.

NOOOOOO!!!!! Man, that's going to hurt. I thought Fason would leave, but Crowder caught me completely off guard. Apparently, he took a year off before enrolling at UF, so he meets the NFL's 3-year requrement, despite just two seasons at UF. Well, at least Brandon Siler looked good filling in for him at middle lineback this season...

jeffbrig
01/07/2005, 12:14 AM
BTW, when does the new season kick off?? :)

ousnakebyte
01/12/2005, 03:24 PM
Well, that's what I get for taking an extended vacation - millions-o-emails to read through. I know this is old news by now, but I have not been in direct internet contact until the last few days.

Found my way into the Orange Bowl via a Christmas present from my sister, while also spending the rest of the week in Florida. Happily, the outcome of the game was not enough to ruin my time lying on the beach.... :smokin:

I'm sure we looked as bad on tv as we did in person. What was built as a game for the ages turned out to be a slaughter. USC brought the would and we could do nothing but take it. Holy Moses, that's what you call a rectal reaming...

However, 5 turnovers or not, SC still wins that game. They are hands down a better team. How many times did they march 90 yards? OU just could not stop them. The turnovers just led to the blowout. And what was up with those sick catches the SC guys were making? USC is scary good, and they lose virtually nobody. If #11 returns, look for a three-peat.

Regardless of the outcome, it was still a good time. I am happy to report that I did not have one single bad encounter with a USC fan - not one. They handed that butt-whoopin' they gave us with total class - a true sign of having been there before. I was talking to a few before and after the game, and they really still respected OU as a team and a program. Nothing but good things to say about them.

And that's a TON more than I can say about how the LSU fans received us last year at the Sugar Bowl. I didn't have any chants of "Get the F#$% out of our State!" or "F--- Oklahoma; Go the F!!! home!" I hope most SC fans who were there can say the same about OU fans (we're not known for being kind...)

Anyway, I'm sorry we disappointed the football fans out there. If you were neutral about the game, it was not at all exciting to watch, I'm sure. Truth be told - half way through the 3rd quarter, I kinda wanted to see how many cool ways SC could score. ;)

I'm staying out of the USC-Auburn debate. They should duke it out for the top spot - too bad they won't be able to.

Later
Mike