PDA

View Full Version : 250 MH DE pendant users

maoiwowie
12/06/2004, 02:44 PM
I am considering upgrading my lighting to 250 HQI pendants. My only apprehension is light escape from the hanging lights into my living room. Is this a serious problem? Will this light annoy/blind my house guests?

Jpizzle
12/06/2004, 04:07 PM
I thought I would have the same problem- recently got a single 250 w pfo-mini pendant (hqi) and it's really not that bad. It's doesn't blind me to look at or near my tank... however it does light up the room quite a bit, which is a good thing in my case.

I'm sure it depends on how high off the water you're planning on hanging your pendants as well.

Herbert T. Kornfeld
12/06/2004, 05:14 PM
My girlfriend complains, and I keep the tank with an open top (a glass cover would reflect more). I hang the light only 6" from the water, and it usually isnt a problem, but if you are at just the right height, about that of the water line, you can get a glare. I prefer open top tanks, but I think I will be adding a 'skirt' to the top edge of the tank made out of 1x6s to keep the glare down. When standing up, it isnt an issue (so if your room is mostly for standing, no big deal), but those who sit down do take notice of the glare since the tank's water level is about 4' tall...eye level when sitting. With a 1x6 skirt running all around the edge of the tank, I can also cut down on my crab suicide rate (I had a 3" zebra hermit make it into my kitchen a week ago!!!)