PDA

View Full Version : Do the Remoras quite down after awhile?

Nuhtty
12/04/2004, 05:03 PM
I just set up my AquaC remora today after doing a complete overhaul cleaning on my tank.

The manual said it would take a few days to really start producing some good foam. I was wondering if it quiets down once is realyl starts making foam.

Since there is nothign coming up into the collection cup yet, I hear a constant gurgling/sucking sound.

Comments?

prodman
12/04/2004, 05:13 PM
The noise is from the spray induction and it stays the same. I have come to relise that noise is a good thing I only worry when my tank is quiet.hth-Paul

onefin
12/04/2004, 05:18 PM
Hi, once it broken in it should be fine, it took mine two weeks now i can't even hear it.

mmd
12/04/2004, 07:50 PM
i have one got it w/rio800 after 2 weeks got quieter, added mj 1200 and 3 inches of connector tube, it is not silent but remarkably less noisy, it also makes less noise then the fans on my aqualights......and it sucks out alot of gunk...

aquaman67
12/04/2004, 08:38 PM
You can cut a small, thin (1/4-1/2" thick) piece of foam to go around the the intake tube.

Here's a rough sketch, this is looking down from the top with the collection cup removed.

The yellow part is the foam. This will not interfere with the operation of the skimmer, and will quite it down. Also keeping the collection cup all the way down helps too!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9513remora.JPG

Nuhtty
12/05/2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the replies!

It has quieted down a bit...or maybe I am just getting used to the sound.

I will try the foam.

gdm42001
12/06/2004, 11:14 AM
The foam idea works great-Thanks
I took it a step further and went to a foam shop and bought some real nice thick foam, carved our a trench for the pipe in the bottom of the foam and pushed it down in. It is thick enough the top of the foam touches the bottom of the collection cup. I cant even tell it's running anymore. And is still producing good skimmate.