PDA

View Full Version : My tank isnt level!

Hemmie
11/27/2001, 07:23 AM
I just noticed..
My water level fell below the rim of the tank and it's about 1/4 inch lower on one side (facing the front of the tank).
Is there any way to level the tank while full of water?

Good grief..what next?
Hemmie

Ace
11/27/2001, 08:59 AM
Hi,

What size tank?

I had the same problem when I set up my 75g. It's not a good idea to try and level a full tank, if not impossible.

I got a couple of 30 gallon plastic garbage cans(new) and siphoned the water into them. When the water was out( I left enough water so I did not have to remove the fish) I got some wooden shims that I bought at Home Depot and slipped them under the stand until I leveled the tank. It only took me about a couple of hours and wasn't that bad.

Ace

Hemmie
11/27/2001, 03:12 PM
Thanks Ace,
That sounds doable! My tank is a 55...I'll get the cans maybe this weekend.
I guess I got myself another project!
Hemmie

Hemmie
11/27/2001, 03:36 PM
BTW, Ace,
Do I just put a few small shims on the side that is low or do they have to be long enough to support the width of the tank?
I mean...if I shim up the low side, wouldnt it make a "space" under the tank? I'm not explaining myself very well, but maybe you get the idea.
Thanks again,
Hemmie

Hemmie
11/27/2001, 03:38 PM
Darn it,
I meant to say the width of the stand...not the tank. And the space..under the stand is what I meant.
Doh..

wave_happy
11/27/2001, 03:46 PM
It would be best if the stand were well supported from underneath. Under no circumstances should the shims be placed between the tank and the stand. As you indicated, the tank must be evenly supported. Remember that even with most of the water removed the warranty states that the tank should not be moved unless completely empty. So be careful!!

Ace
11/27/2001, 04:31 PM
Hi Hemmie,

You're right! I should have stated that any gap that is left over from shimming the tank level, should be filled with shims or wood that will fill that gap.

wave_happy is right. Do not shim between the tank and stand. Just between the floor and stand.

And if at all possible, remove as much water and rock as you can. There will be no need to move the tank when you use the shims. The shim should be able to slide under the tank. When the tank is level just cut off any shims that are exposed. I used a utility knife to cut the shim.

HTH.

Ace

Hemmie
11/27/2001, 08:54 PM
Ok, I think I have it!
The tank sits on a big fat berber rug and pad, so this may not be all that easy, but what *is* in this hobby?

I need another project...yeah..:lol:
*Most* of my projects lately have been undoing goof ups, I oughtta be used to doing everything 2 and 3 times over.:mad:

Live and learn, I guess. (sometimes):hmm5:
Thanks guys!
Hemmie

Ace
11/27/2001, 09:06 PM
Hey don't feel bad. I'm on my third canopy. Soon will be starting my fourth.

What fun would this hobby be without all the fun work that goes with it? :)

Hemmie
11/28/2001, 05:32 AM
True.....except...
Why is it that as soon as you sit down to *enjoy* a relaxing evening watching your tank, you always end up saying "damn...that doesnt look right!" and there you go...another project!

:D

Ace
11/28/2001, 07:48 AM
I think that's why we are all in this hobby (obsession)! ;)

I can't go more than a week without thinking I could do this better, or I can add this etc.

Plus there is one other danger to this whole thing. Once you are happy with your current tank, you're going to want to upgrade to a larger tank. :D

Ace

Rube
11/28/2001, 09:24 PM
I recently dealt with the same problem in just the way described. One question: how does your stand contact the ground? Mine has four legs, so I had only a few points to shim. I also put it onto a wood board, so I'd have less problems "settling" into the rug.

afss
11/28/2001, 10:18 PM
I have shimmed my tanks while they are full, but I have very robust stands. Actually I shim the stand, not the tank.
If you are going to go through the trouble of draining the tank, i suggest you put a thin sheet of styrofoam under the tank before refilling. This will help insulate the tank from sudden jars, it more evenly distributes the tanks weight, and will help level the tank a bit.. maybe 1/16 or so.
Good luck
Scott

JazzMan
11/28/2001, 10:19 PM
I have the same problem with my tank....I don't really mind it though. I mean I keep it full enough so the water line always looks even. Do you think its a problem? Mine is of by about 1/2 inch on one side, but like I said I don't mind....should I????

Hemmie
11/29/2001, 05:32 AM
Hey Jimfitz,
I was wondering if I could leave it alone as well. :confused:

Right now, the Xmas tree is in that corner, so I'll wait till after the Holidays.

The tank doesnt have legs, it's a solid cherry stand that was once a record/8 track/phonograph cabinet YEARS ago. The thing weighs a ton.

So what's the verdict on leaving it alone...anyone?

Hemmie

Ace
11/29/2001, 09:55 AM
I've had tanks in the past that were out of level by 1/4" and did nothing about it. I never had a problem, then again I upgraded those tanks pretty quickly.

I think 1/2" might be on the outer limits of what might be safe.
After coming to these boards I decided I will always make sure my tank is as level as I can possibly make it.
I just feel better when it's level.

Maybe someone with a better grip on this subject will chime in.

Ace

clutchcargo
11/29/2001, 11:20 AM
The tank will eventually spring a leak. It might not be for a year or two but it will leak if not level. My girlfriends tank was off about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and it was fine for a long time but eventually it did leak. Another thing, don't shim the tank, shim the stand. It's far worse to shim just the tank, than it is to leave it alone. The platform that the tank sits on must be flat.