PDA

View Full Version : Need a new skimmer

susieQ
11/26/2001, 01:01 AM
OK. I've read 8 billion old posts about skimmers. For some odd reason, I like the Prizm skimmer. I assume the pump in the HO replaces a PH, correct? If so, that is what I like about it. Only thing, I have a 55g and am reading it may not be enough of a skimmer for a 55g. Does anybody out there use this skimmer on a 55g reef...with success?

Does anybody know of another HO that has an external pump that would be suitable for a 55g? I saw all the great reviews about the Precision Marine Hot 1 but I don't know if I want to spend the money and fool with a PH for the skimmer.

The 55g is moderately stocked with small corals, 3 fish, DSB and ~55lbs LR. I have an AquaClear 500 on mainly for circulation. I only feed once a day and don't have any problems with algae. My other skimmer (won't mention the name...cheapo, cheapo but it did pull off adequate gunk) cracked tonight and I need to replace. Since the cheapo lasted 3+ years and did a good job, I thought maybe the Prizm would be effective for my needs, too.

Thanks All!
Susie

Physh1
11/26/2001, 02:46 AM
Okay, 2 ways I see to look at this....

Your un-named cheapo skimmer probably couldn't do better than the Prizm. The Prizm would be equal or better. Now, if you keep the rough same bioload your tank will probably do just fine as it seems to have been doing. The Prizm is rated to 100 or so gallons so it'll do your 55 just fine....

If you plan on adding more corals and/or fish the extra cash for the PM Hot 1 would be a good idea to keep up with a possible increase in waste from the added bioload.

Overall, the Prizm is a good budget skimmer and will work if you don;t plan on adding a lot more to the tank.....if you want to add a lot more than the Hot 1 would be best....

Cameron

tomatoeclown
11/26/2001, 10:18 AM
susieQ, stop being cheap and buy a good skimmer, I have a 46gal and had a Prizm running on it for a few months, it barely kept up, I picked up a PM Hot-1 3 weeks ago and it's doing a great job, pulling out more crap than the Prizm ever did, don't waste youre money, take it from someone who already did, cya and shop smart.:D

b j perun
11/26/2001, 10:37 AM
SusieQ:

A skimmer is really one of the most fundamental pieces of hardware you will need for your reef system. The amount of money you may save by going with one of the lesser known names will pale in comparison to the cost in not only replacing the skimmer, but the species you may ultimately lose. There are other corners you can cut, but this is not one of them. I’ve been in the hobby for nearly a decade and have learned the hard way. I raise allot of sps frags in grow out tanks tied into my main system and they flourish under the right conditions, mainly water quality. I don’t know if your familiar with them or not but Tunze manufactures some very good equipment, especially skimmers. In addition I have heard many favorable thing about the Euro Reef.

Blane

http://www.thesea.org/graphics/ads/obw.jpg

RHCP
11/26/2001, 10:44 AM
I used a prizm on a 55 for awhile. I wouldn't ever use it on a tank bigger than that. I upgraded to the aquaC remora and have been very pleased. If I were you I'd go with the prizm though. like Physh1 said the prizm will not be worse than your old skimmer. If you feel the need to get a bigger one than either go with a remora or a PM HOT-1.
HTH

susieQ
11/26/2001, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm not necessarily trying to take the cheap route here. The old skimmer was part of the used system I bought 3 years ago. After the initial newbie flood, I added a control valve for the air supply and produced good dry foam in the inner cup. Seeing the Prizm, especially the design and external pump, got me wondering if something in this price range would be sufficient.
Still don't know what the heck to buy. Think about the people who go skimmerless. They don't even use something as low grade (for a 55g) as the Prizm. And then there is the unproven theory about overskimming. Do I really need the "this is not a toy" PM Hot 1? I'm still flip-flopping back and forth. Does anyone maybe want to part with there no longer used Prizm?
Uuuuuggggghhhhhh! I need to make a decision!!!

Susie

Here is a picture of my tank.
http://fs8.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/202397/iD8C7C9F8-9962-43D9-BBAE-39E3FB8015B7.jpg

susieQ
11/26/2001, 02:43 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts? Before I draw the winning skimmer...:D

Susie

pjr
11/26/2001, 02:54 PM
Very nice tank! Good job!

The Remora works quite well; can be a bit noisy. A BakPak 2 is worth considering, esp'ly if you pick up one on a good deal.

Many other skimmers will work; however, some of the parts quality is suspect (e.g. excaliber). Stay with one of the models mentioned in this thread and you'll be OK!

David Grigor
11/26/2001, 03:00 PM
I have a Prizm on a little 37g SPS prop. tank and IMO it's JUNK ! I bought it after hearing the rave reviews here and other boards.
Whatever you choose, I would go overkill on the skimmer so you can reuse it if/when you ever upgrade. With your requirments the PM HOT or a Remora Pro is about the best options. You could email myreef and geo to see if they have anything hang on that can be retrofitted with a beckett injector.....

cmoney
11/26/2001, 03:13 PM
Suzzie,

I too have been running a Prizim skimmer on a 55 gallon strickly SPS and Clam tank, with a small Sholo Tang and Clown. This skimmer for me has work fine, and the tank has been up for 2 years now. I chose this skimmer for a couple of reasons, it's pretty compact, it has it's own built in pump, and I did not have a sump and needed a hang on style. I have been happy with the skimmer, but if I had a sump with room for a larger skimmer I would buy a ETSS hands down. My LFS is running 1 prizim skimmer on a 300 gallon SPS tank pulls alot of gunk, defintley not enough skimmer but thats all they've been using for the past 12 months.

pjr
11/26/2001, 03:35 PM
I guess we are all assuming that Susie needs a Hang-On Tank (HOT) design. That's what I use as well. A sump adds a whole world of options.....

motox
11/26/2001, 03:39 PM
Another vote for the ETSS.

Have one on my 65g and it works great. No goofing around with it. Just plug it in and follow the easy instructions for adjusting. Supposedly it can be used without a sump, but mine is in a sump. I was sumpless for a while and just decided to make one. Very easy to do - may want to consider it. Good luck!

Kent

pjr
11/26/2001, 03:55 PM
Just curious... how much was the ETSS? Would be nice to know how it compares to the others in this category... Thanks!

susieQ
11/26/2001, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, I do need a HOT skimmer. My stand is not a cabinet, it is open underneath so no where to hid anything. My God, why can't I make a decision?

Susie

pjr
11/26/2001, 04:23 PM
Susie, I have been in the same boat! Thankfully this board and the great group of people exist, or I would have wasted (more) money on this hobby!

None of the choices are bad.... I add one more thought though, from a fellow user of HOT skimmers. I am using the BakPak 2, not because it is the best pure skimmer of this bunch, but for the following facts:

- has a surface skimmer (option), which I feel is VERY important
for HOT-based tanks
- is not fussy if the water level varies at all (i.e. while on vacation)
- relatively quiet (for my peace-and-quiet in my library)
- relatively short (for cosmetics)

I think most (if not all) of the skimmers in this thread are better at skimming. However, you should look to enhance them with some a surface skimming option. Get their option kits, or rig up something yourself to accomplish that task.

David Grigor
11/26/2001, 04:29 PM
If the choice is between CPR and the Prizm. I have both of these little skimmers.

I don't consider either one of these a very good choice for a 55g tank but I do like the CPR better than the Prizm.

My CPR is the older style and bubbles getting into the main tank can be an issue ( may be improved now ) but for me I get bubbles from the Prizm also. If I turn it back enough to keep the bubbles from getting in the main tank from the Prizm then I don't get any skimmate.....

pjr
11/26/2001, 04:33 PM
I have the BP2 and do not have a bubble problem. I had a BP1 a few years ago and bubbles was a big problem, even with the bubble trap. Go figure...

motox
11/26/2001, 05:29 PM
I paid $190 for the ETSS with the pump. I shopped around a bit and this was the best price I could find. I got it from Reefgeek.com if I remember correctly.

Kent

Ltspd
11/26/2001, 05:33 PM
SusieQ, I have owned 2 AquaC remora's and one was on a old 55g reef tank I had. It did a Super job. I did replace the rio with a maxijet, and that would be my only suggestion.

IMO you will not go wrong with the Remora, or even the Remora Pro.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORA&Category_Code=AquaC

Timbo
11/26/2001, 06:18 PM
PM HOT-1 all the way! I have used one for over a year now on my 29 gallon tank it kicks butt! I have done a modification to it however...

I am now running this skimmer as an air driven skimmer. I was never truly happy with the performance of it so I drilled a small hole in the top and inserted a piece of rigid airline tubing with a 3" wooden air stone at the bottom. I run the airstone with a Tetra Luft air pump and I use a microjet 606 as the feed pump for the skimmer. The skimmer was worlds better than my BakPak even without the mod but now that i've done this there is no comparison to any skimmer that fits the same requirements.

Later,

Tim

magnum22
11/26/2001, 08:35 PM
Timbo,

Could you tell us a little more about your PM Hot-1 modification. How much better does it run compared to the original? Less noise, any overflow problems? Thanks.

tomatoeclown
11/26/2001, 09:05 PM
SusieQ, let me make it easy for you, PM Hot-1= great hang on skimmer, Prizm=great doorstop, take it from someone that has them both Prizm is in my closet you want it I will ship it to you, you pay the shipping it's yours free and I am not kidding, now the PM is one nicely constructed skimmer, whisper quiet actually no noise, and the crap it pulls out will make you pretty pleased, www.precisionmarine.com www.marinedepot.com is one of the vendors , they have free shipping, cya.:D

susieQ
11/26/2001, 10:33 PM
I'm going with the PM Hot 1!!! The lack of decision was more to do with what I felt my tank needed. Plus, in the back of my mind was the $200 price difference since I am interested in the overflow collection cup. Anyway, thanks for all the great responses! And thanks Tomatoeclown for the offer, that was very nice!

Now I have a couple of mechanical questions about the PM but will start a new thread.

Susie

pjr
11/26/2001, 10:55 PM
Great choice!

JerryReef
11/27/2001, 01:41 AM
For price, value, performance and future upgradable I got myself one of My Reef Creations' (http://www.myreefcreations.com/skimmers.html) protein skimmer and their twin chamber ca. reactor.

Some recent comments from satisfied reefers (http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46143) and, I am confident if you did a vendor search at Reef Central, you'll generate more positive experiences.

I almost settled for the PM Bullet-3, as Precision Marine makes excellent protein skimmers. But, I wanted the best!

Jerry
SNEReefers Club (http://www.snereefers.com)

================,,,=============================
===============(o o)============================
===========oOO==(_)==Ooo=======================
"I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think." ~ Socrates
===========ooooO==Ooooo========================
============= ( )===( )===========================
=============\ (====) /==========================
=============\_)===(_/==========================

Brad A.
11/27/2001, 02:45 AM
SusieQ,

My prizm skimmer works just fine on my 55g sps/clam tank. I only have 3 small fish though.

Brad

JFish
11/27/2001, 03:39 PM
jerryreef... i find it funny you call myreef the best over the PM bullet. They are the same thing...MyReef is just a knock of so reefers can get a great skimmer for less money. I too am getting the myreef skimmer :) and maybe the calcium reactor too.

suzieQ,

I don't see why you can't just put some cloth around the stand then get a simple sump in there... It would give you so many more choices on skimmers, and you would probably like having a sump better than not having one...

JerryReef
11/27/2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JFish
jerryreef... i find it funny you call myreef the best over the PM bullet. They are the same thing...MyReef is just a knock of so reefers can get a great skimmer for less money. I too am getting the myreef skimmer :) and maybe the calcium reactor too.

The Bullet-3, which is rated for 400-gallon systems, has a height of 32". Where as, in the case of The My Reef Creations, which Andy built, is capable of handling over 1000-gallons with more surface area, height of 44� plus dual injectors. And, considering that they both cost the same would place the My Reef Creations way ahead, price to performance. In my book, at least.

Furthermore, with the MRC, I have the option to upgrade the system if I choose to.

Wouldn't you consider the MRC better and more efficient, based upon the above considerations? Furthermore, I had the opportunity to see both devices in action and it appeared to me that the MRC was doing a better job.

Definitely, not the same thing, maybe the system they both adopt is the same, but that's where the similarities end.

Jerry
SNEReefers Club (http://www.snereefers.com)

================,,,=============================
===============(o o)============================
===========oOO==(_)==Ooo=======================
Never do anything standing that you can do sitting,
or anything sitting that you can do lying down.

===========ooooO==Ooooo========================
============= ( )===( )===========================
=============\ (====) /==========================
=============\_)===(_/==========================