PDA

View Full Version : Imperator in small tank

djportu
11/27/2004, 01:20 PM
Hello,

This is the thing, i have a 41 gal tank, with 20 pounds of live rock, sand, Prizm red sea skimmer, UV Coralife 8Watt, a fluval 404 (with crush coral from a mature filter of another marine aquarium of 6 years old), 2x65 PC´s coralife, Destiled water, Dolphin salt, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Phosphates 0,1, Nitrate 30, PH 8.0, some algae (caulerpa), one linckia star, like 40 blue legs, 6 turbo snail, and 2 fire fish Magnifica.

So this is my big Doubt, i have put in my tank (half a hour) a Juv. Pomacanthus Imperator of 2" :fun5:

I have read that they need tanks of 100gal or bigger, but im going to keep it at the maximum size that he can handle in the aquarium... im doing a good thing or not?

I have hear for others friends that have keep this fish in small tanks like me for long periods of time... what do you thing? it can be possible?

And the problem is that im in love of that fish :rolleyes: but i cant get a bigger tank...

Thanks for your answers!

SaltFreek
11/27/2004, 01:54 PM
Sounds like you've read up on the fish, just didn't take the advice. I'm sure you've read these will grow to approximately 1' and will surely be stressed in a tank that size. It's almost guaranteed that it will get sick if it is not moved to a larger tank when it matures. I'm in love with many fish I can't keep in my 75 gal, but we limit the fish we can buy when we purchase our tank. Good luck to you.

SF

Adonis Mt
11/27/2004, 01:58 PM
Many make the mistake of thinking they can put a fish in an aquarium before it gets too large, then remove it. The issue is that a fish's growth can become stunted before it reaches what the owner would consider "too big".

swims withthe fishes
11/27/2004, 02:21 PM
I am a firm beleiver in keeping a fish for the long term. adonis makes a good point, he may be stunted before you think he's too big, and already have irreversible internal problems.
i would reconsider this fish before the LFS closes today.