PDA

View Full Version : Sand in refugium?

mid-western
11/24/2004, 12:31 AM
I am making a new sump/refugium along the same lines as some I have seen on melevsreef.com. My question...can I use some of the LS from my old 29 gal. tank in my new fuge? I have not moved my fish to the 90 yet, but plan to do so soon. The nitrates are much lower now and I think the refugium will help keep it that way.
One more question...are "Mangroves" a good/bad idea for a fuge along with Cheato? Thanks!

Detritivore
11/24/2004, 01:00 AM
mangroves are cool but as far as filtration goes, you need alot (1 per 2 gal) to get any filtration (according to julian sprung in his "mangrove guide")
heres the link to his guide if you ever want to see it
http://www.twolittlefishies.com/documents/1100232022.pdf

Purple Haze
11/24/2004, 01:12 AM
Most tend to find mangroves are magnesium sponges.

However, they are kinda cool ;D

Reefmedic79
11/24/2004, 03:17 AM
Mangroves a cool especially if you have an exposed refugium where anyone can see it, pound for pound they are don't do much in the way of nutrient removal as compared to a good Macro like Cheatomorpha.

mid-western
11/25/2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the input on the Mangroves. But I still would like to know if using some of the LS from my 29 will work in my new fuge? And will the 90 cycle allover again buy ising it? This may sound like a silly question to ask, but I am completely new to this.
Thanks for everyone's assistance! Everyone here on RC has been great in pointing me in the right direction.
I hope to be able to post some nice pics one day like many of you have.

jdieck
11/25/2004, 12:19 AM
Do not use all the sand as you will bring with it metals or precipitated phosphate with it. use a couple of pounds for seeding the new sand in the fuge, that shall do.

mid-western
11/25/2004, 03:40 AM
Thank you for the input...I really appreciate it, as I know very little about SW tanks. I'll use a little as you suggested.

Mina_40
11/25/2004, 10:06 AM
I have about a 2" sandbed in my fuge, along with live rock and macro...lots of pods and critters. Nitrates have been 0 since I added a fuge. Good luck to you :-)