PDA

View Full Version : How can I add Calcium to my auto top off system?

sjm817
11/24/2004, 12:27 AM
My tank is still new, and is not going to have any serious corals unless I decide to upgrade lighting one day. It is a 90G with a sump, skimmer, LR/LS. I've put my first fish in, an have a Gargonian and will have some mushrooms, some zoa's and other newbie moderate light type stuff.

I would like to get my Coraline growing and need to boost the calc (and alk?) from what I've read. I have an auto topoff which consists of a 5G jug, airline tubing, an Aqualifter pump and a float switch. I use RO/DI water. Ideally, something easy that I could just mix in with the topoff water would work out well. From what I understand, Kalkwasser would cause problems with the topoff pump and airline tubing.

Any suggestions?

Detritivore
11/24/2004, 01:01 AM
tag

Konadog
11/24/2004, 01:03 AM
I have done it with a DIY Nurce, using airline tubing for over a year. The only place it clogs is where the tube enters your salt water. I just cleaned it every water change and never had a problem again.

DaveC
11/24/2004, 05:40 AM
IT may not be the ideal situation to have your top off water already pre-mixed with any calcium boosters....not sure what you have for a top off, but if it involved any pumps what if the level trigger failed activated the pump and dumped the entire top off container in your tank, would actually be a two fold problem, but you get my drift, overdose calcium, as mentioned a nurse or some other device would work fine..but I would not mix in with top off water...also keep in mind other things are involved with coralline algea growth that are just as important, very good water flow, and very low phosphates...my friends 265 has alway had a problem with calcium levels, his reactor sucks....he has coralline growing all over the place and his levels are around 300 - 320 or so....he has good coral growth also.....

DaveC

Cearbhaill
11/24/2004, 10:37 AM
First test your water for calcium and alkalinity. Then just go to the reef chemistry calculator
http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm plug in your numbers and it will tell you how much of whatever to use.
Calcium and alkalinity are usually supplemented via daily additions of a 2 part system like B-Ionic, or by dripping kalk as topoff. Either way you will need to use your test kits often until you get the process dialed in.

What are your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium values right now?

Properly mixed kalk can be used with tubing and a pump- but there are a few things you need to learn about first, and there is a bit of trial and error to fine tune things.

Here is an excellent place to start-
How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

sjm817
11/25/2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the replies.
My calc is 300, alk is 4.0 m/L, dont have a Mag test. Calc level doesn't seem to be all that bad right now. Low, but not terrible? How about the alk. That is on the low side.

Cearbhaill
11/25/2004, 05:18 AM
Alk is not low at all- that is actually 11.2 dKH.
I would get the calcium up a bit.

Kalk adds calcium and alkalinity in a perfectly balanced ratio- so you'd need to get your calcium and alk balanced before you start anyway.

Cearbhaill
11/25/2004, 05:28 AM
Cool new link-
http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html

jdieck
11/25/2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Konadog
I have done it with a DIY Nurce, using airline tubing for over a year. The only place it clogs is where the tube enters your salt water. I just cleaned it every water change and never had a problem again.

If you drip it with the line outside of the water it will last longer between cleanings.