PDA

View Full Version : Scwd.....good or bad idea.......

puffdaddy_1
11/23/2004, 10:56 PM
Hi guys,

I was suggested to use a scwd with my mag drive 7 for my return system. They said it would give me wavemaking action. What are your opinions and experiences using the scwd??? Is it worth it?

I appreciate your response

Dubbin1
11/23/2004, 11:31 PM
I have a mag 9.5 as a return running through a scwd and it works just fine. I do however wish I would have gotten a bigger pump to increase the flow. I wouldn't think that the mag 7 would be enough for your 72gal since the 9.5 don't seem to be enough for my 46gal.

febeast
11/23/2004, 11:31 PM
I just put one in my 46 bow and I like it, but you do lose some pressure from your pump. There are a lot of threads here about them, some good-some bad. I seperated mine out with spray bars on each side and I do like the flow it creates.

Dubbin1
11/23/2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by febeast
I just put one in my 46 bow and I like it, but you do lose some pressure from your pump. There are a lot of threads here about them, some good-some bad. I seperated mine out with spray bars on each side and I do like the flow it creates.

So what size pump did you use and is it on a closed loop or is it hooked into your return from your sump?

puffdaddy_1
11/23/2004, 11:41 PM
I have the return on one end and the maxi 900 on the other end. Does this sound like enough water movement for my 72?

febeast
11/23/2004, 11:50 PM
I have it hookep up to a little giant 2MDQX-SC on a closed loop. Not near enough pressure. I run a couple of other pumps for my sump through a spray bar in the back.

puffdaddy_1, you should have a turn over of at least 10x your water volume. There is a calculator for head loss on the home page. I believe the more you have the better. I know that I don't have as much as I would like and I am near the 10x point.