PDA

View Full Version : gettting tired of this maxi jet........

puffdaddy_1
11/23/2004, 10:29 PM
Hi guys,

Its been about 2 months and my maxi jet 900 is competely covered in corraline and barely moving any water. Im looking for an alternative powerhead that would be more durable and move the same amount of water. What would be something good to purchase? It is a 72 bowfront. My mag drive 7 return gives me enough water movement at one end of the tank. I was suggested a sqwd, but Ive heard of these getting jammed up inside too. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your insights

PUGroyale
11/23/2004, 10:33 PM
you can take them apart and clean them... I clean my MJ1200's monthly. Takes about 5 minutes. hth

Mr_Quality
11/23/2004, 10:36 PM
Calcium build up and coraline are unavoidable consequences of reef tanks. It's hard to beat a Maxi Jet for reliability.

Ehydo
11/23/2004, 10:40 PM
I agree with the monthly cleaning. Soak it in vinegar.

AZDesertRat
11/23/2004, 10:46 PM
Soak them in white vinegar for an hour or two. If you want something diferent for a reasonable price look at the Seio 820. Moves much more water with about the same wattage and a more diffused flow.

dwculp
11/23/2004, 11:13 PM
I agree with what just about everyone above says, clean it regularly. It does not matter what brand pump or power head you get, they will all build up gunk inside and not work as well. I use maxi-jets exclusively, I have about 8 of them! They are GREAT power heads, cheap, quiet, and dependable.

I have had a maxi-jet 1200 on a river ecosystem for a year and a half now. It pumps water from the final pool on the left side of the tank, up through the back of the tank and across the tank to the right side to begin the process of flowing over the three water falls and back to the left side of the tank to begin the trip again. That thing gets hammered with all kids of goo, algae, plant and food debris and is still pumping strong with little maintenence from me except an occasional cleaning.