PDA

View Full Version : good ideal bad ideal for sump

fishman101
11/23/2004, 10:13 PM
hello im inthe process of setting up my 1st reef tank [75 gal.] and was going to biuld my sump [d.i.y] i bought 3 pastic 10 gal. totes from walmart i was going to plumb them together so there linked and have 3 sep. compartments 1 protein skimmer 2nd compartment refuge 3rd compartment return....does this look ok or do you see a problem....also should i put the pvc pipes at a angle linking the compartments to get better drainage...how high should i have the drains...p.s. im useing a aquac 120 ev skimmer if that helps t.i.a:) :) :)

dj synystr
11/23/2004, 10:22 PM
i just built a stand and sump/fug setup for my new 75 heres a pic. you can see the tank on the left , 10 gallon is put in the stand the long way, then overflows into a 10 gallon tank for the reutn. if you need more pics email me and ill help you where i can.

http://www.djsynystr.com/RC/75/Hlaf Done.jpg

AZDesertRat
11/23/2004, 10:53 PM
I think you would be better off using a 30G long glass aquarium with homemade baffles. Connecting multiple totes together with bulkheads or whatever is asking for trouble with possible flow restrictions or plugs which could cause overflows. With a single vessel with baffles there is less chance of plugging up.

Larry Waughon
11/24/2004, 01:14 AM
One larger tote with baffles would be safer as mentioned above. If you are going to use three set drains as high as you can but leave enough space so when power goes out it don't overflow.

hellraisers30
11/24/2004, 01:30 AM
i have done it with 2 totes plumbed together worked great had that setup for about a year with no problems, just make sure you use the screens that come with the bulkheads this way something doesnt get stuck in the drain from one to the other
and make sure it will hold the water if you electric goes out

hellraisers30
11/24/2004, 01:30 AM
i have done it with 2 totes plumbed together worked great had that setup for about a year with no problems, just make sure you use the screens that come with the bulkheads this way something doesnt get stuck in the drain from one to the other
and make sure it will hold the water if you electric goes out