PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cages Tank- no teeth on overflow problem

gabulldawg12
11/23/2004, 10:11 PM
Friends,
I recently purchased a 90g reef ready tank from Glass Cages, and the overflow has no teeth(probably because it is made out of glass!). I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I see where some glasscages customers have purchased overflow covers with teeth that wrap around the box. Are there any other suggestions? Would "mounting" an eggcrate type piece on top of the overflow work or perhaps some gutter guard? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

flycut
11/23/2004, 10:18 PM
I think the eggcrate thing should be fine, thats what I will add to mine when I find it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/flycut/overflow.jpg

AJP
11/23/2004, 10:59 PM
home depot sells it in the lighting section, not hard to find

gabulldawg12
11/24/2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the replies- surely there are some other suggestions out there!?! Thanks in advance.
Chris

Irenicus
11/24/2004, 11:06 PM
I don't think it's necessary even to have teeth... um... .on an overflow that is :)

Alarmguy66
11/25/2004, 12:55 AM
you can also call Tom at Glasscages and he will make you some covers with teeth fairly cheap. He made mine a few months back on the spot,, they were pretty cheap too.

siefker
11/25/2004, 01:10 AM
plastic gutter guard works best, smaller holes than eggcrate and is flexible

gabulldawg12
11/25/2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks- I may just experiment with a few things to see what works best. I probably would have bought one(a cover) from Tom, but he didn't mention it, and I didn't ask. Thanks again.
Chris

deepboy
11/25/2004, 09:52 PM
It's not a proublem if you can keep the Water flow just anough to skim the top with out any fish swimming into it! But thats not always possible. So take it back and see if they can put teeth in it, I have no idea why it wasn't done in the first place...

gabulldawg12
11/25/2004, 10:26 PM
Taking it back is not an option- Glass Cages is in TN, and I picked it up in Atlanta at a reptile show they were at. The overflow box is constructed out of 3/8" glass, so adding teeth to the glass itself would be very difficult, if not impossible. Besides, except for this minor nuisance, the tank is awesome. I will figure out something feasible. Thanks.
Chris

siefker
11/25/2004, 10:37 PM
Keep the teeth off. Once i used overflows without the teeth it was awesome. If you are worried out fish. Get some gutterguard from HD ($2) bend it inside your overflow.

With no teeth, it is very rare fish go over. I run extremely high flows, with teeth the fish would get caught chasing food and would get tossed into or over the teeth. Without teeth your water level should be very low.

never had snails go over becuase the waterline is lower. With teeth the waterline is high enough that the snails will crawl up the teeth, then get sucked between them.

I don't have a pic but i put a cover over mine with a 1/2" gap above the weir with acrylic (just in case and to prevent anything big enough to block up the pipes out)

deepboy
11/25/2004, 10:55 PM
Well put but the snails getting sucked in should be know problem besides they can crawl there way out! But the fish may get cuaght up in it, But not if you you keep the flow over the top to about a inch or so!!!

siefker
11/26/2004, 12:24 AM
No teeth works awesome. No cleaning of the teeth, makes for a very clean line in the viewing.

No regrets for sure. It is definately quieter in the way of splashing. Even with dursos,,, with teeth i found the water would still splash a little and trickle (not really loud)

but without the water seems to stick to the walls of the overflow and is nearly silent.

gabulldawg12
11/26/2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks again! I am going to try it with no "teeth", seeing how the top of my overflow is only 1" from the top of the tank.
Chris

blowmecius
11/26/2004, 07:57 AM
Take a look here for some pics:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/gt/index.htm

This method uses gutterguard and eggcrate.

Sabreman0001
12/21/2004, 11:25 PM
I had a friend that just got a tank from Mitch at inter-american....well after a hefty 8 month wait and several lies.....anyways...he had the same problem...and the overflows where clear glass....yukkkk...so I made him 2 black acrylic overflows with teeth and he simply siliconed them over the glass ones...worked like a charm....let me know if you are interested...I am in charlotte....I build acrylic tanks..but this would work on yours....

-Dave