PDA

View Full Version : mixing new saltwater

work
11/23/2004, 09:58 PM
I'm not really new but felt this was the best place to ask this question. How long after the salt has fully dissolved do you wait till adding it to an existing system (with fish only, no corals)? I've heard the water is harsh and needs time to age. If true how long 12/24/48?

Ehydo
11/23/2004, 10:04 PM
I use ro water and mix the salt in and add it to the tank as soon as it is up to temp.

dew9000
11/23/2004, 10:08 PM
24-48 hours is what is recommended so I wait 48 and run an airpump with airstone to oxygenate the water.

Adonis Mt
11/23/2004, 10:10 PM
Whenever salt stops showing up on the bottom of the container or on the sides. Also, when the water is clear.

I can mix fresh SW in about 10 minute.s

Reef Junkie
11/23/2004, 10:12 PM
It's not completely wrong to add it right away, but there is a better way. When you do your next water change, make enough for two changes. If you change 5 gallons, make two 5 gallon buckets worth. Change one bucket and put the lid on the other, the following weekend(or whenever you change water next) just add the aged water and replace it with a fresh bucket. Also, if you should ever need emergency salt water, you have it on hand.
Bill

dew9000
11/23/2004, 10:23 PM
Reef Junkie, Very good idea! I think I will do that too except with 10 gallons.

AZDesertRat
11/23/2004, 10:48 PM
Three important things,
Match the temperature, pH and salinity of your tank water.

TangmanBC
11/23/2004, 10:54 PM
I'm with dew9000 & desertRat GOOD ADVICE!!!!

work
11/24/2004, 05:23 AM
OK, thanks. I've been finishing up re-building my aquarium set up. Room re-carpeted & painted, new stands built, and a big sump moved to the basement and plumbed. All livestock has been sitting in a basement sump and now I have to add ~50gal of water (done) to get the small tank up then another ~100gal (30gal mixed and ready) to get the large tank running. I can only mix ~30gal at a time without buying more pumps and containers. Normally I'm not in a rush and would be content to wait 24 hours before adding new saltwater. However Thanksgiving is only 1 day away and I really wanted everything up and running before the company shows up.

Adonis Mt
11/24/2004, 09:26 AM
work, i think you would be safe doing it quickly.. when i bought my setup, we filled the tank and mixed salt water all in a half hour, the water was still cloudy when we added livestock, yet everything survived and is still healthy.

Reef Junkie
11/24/2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Adonis Mt
work, i think you would be safe doing it quickly.. when i bought my setup, we filled the tank and mixed salt water all in a half hour, the water was still cloudy when we added livestock, yet everything survived and is still healthy.

Filling the tank and mixing the saltwater is very acceptable.
Adding livestock shortly after mixing the salt, bad idea. If you wait a few days for the salt to completely dissolve, the water to get to temp and for the pH to somewhat stabilize, then you'll be OK.

Nothing personal Adonis Mt, but this isn't the best advice to give to someone just starting in this hobby.
Too many people leave this hobby because they take shortcuts and lose all of their live stock.

Again, nothing personal. :)

Bill

jallard
11/24/2004, 09:41 AM
not to mention the lack of cycle when adding that quickly

Adonis Mt
11/24/2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Reef Junkie
Filling the tank and mixing the saltwater is very acceptable.
Adding livestock shortly after mixing the salt, bad idea. If you wait a few days for the salt to completely dissolve, the water to get to temp and for the pH to somewhat stabilize, then you'll be OK.

Nothing personal Adonis Mt, but this isn't the best advice to give to someone just starting in this hobby.
Too many people leave this hobby because they take shortcuts and lose all of their live stock.

Again, nothing personal. :)

Bill He clearly states he has a lot of experience in the hobby. I know that it isnt the safest way, i did say it was possible though, which it is.

Reef Junkie
11/24/2004, 09:50 AM
Well, then we agree. ;)

Ehydo
11/24/2004, 10:21 AM
Mix salt with ro until disolved, add heater, then put in tank. Airating the water only mixes the salt in to the water, not a bad idea but not necessary.
I use a plastic long handled spoon to mix my salt and water.

I never put the water in when cloudy, I mix it by hand up until I put it in the tank.

If RO storage is heated then all you have to do is mix the salt until it is disolved and put it in.