PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now what the heck is THAT?

Shooter7
11/23/2004, 04:41 PM
First, want to apologize for no pics...killing me waiting to get my new digi camera for Christmas, but I have a month to go yet. At any rate, I'll try and describe as best I can. Protruding from my live rock about an 1/8th of an inch is a dark tan, hairy, tube-looking thing which has a light tan, totally smooth, sort of pointy/fleshy thing sticking out of it about an 1/8th of an inch as well. I noticed this a few days ago but had no idea what it was and seemed like nothing real significant, so I didn't pay it alot of attention. Well, today I turn on the lights when I get home from work and note that this fleshy/slimy part is sticking out about 3 inches long and fluttering around in the current from my powerhead. As soon as the lights came on it sucked all the way back in to where the tip is just sticking out again. I currently see two of these guys in my rock. So, with that descript and no pics, anyone have any ideas? Thanks! :)

(I promise, only one more month and I'll be able to do pics...unless it takes me a long time to figure out the camera - then possibly longer. :lol: )

ReeferAl
11/23/2004, 05:34 PM
I know exactly what you are describing, have them all over my fuge, but can't remember what they are called. There was an article recently that covered them. It might have been one of Dr. Shimek's articles in Advanced Aquarist(?) Maybe someone else will chime in.
Allen

ReeferAl
11/23/2004, 06:05 PM
The articles are in Reefkeeping, but I couldn't find the 1 I was looking for.

Shooter7
11/23/2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks for trying. I don't even know what to begin to look under. Additionally, the longer I own this thing, the more stuff I see. I believe I may have flatworms starting now as well. They are teeny tiny, but they look like miniature versions of the larger ones of seen pictures of on this site, so I have those to deal with as well. I also noted some extremely small little silver/bluish little bugs running around on my rock. So small that the pods in there look like giants next to them. It's all pretty amazing. In a small 10 gal tank there looks like there's a million things going on all at once.

iSpeakWhale
11/23/2004, 06:55 PM
sounds like some sort of harmless worm... but yeah pic would help greatly.