PDA

View Full Version : Return setup on 120g Oceanic

Spyral74
11/23/2004, 03:09 PM
Hi folks... I'm in the process of setting up a new 120g Oceanic with dual megaflows (1" drain, 3/4" return) and a Mag18 return in sump. My original plan was to tee the return to 2 SCWDs, one mounted in each overflow for 4 outputs, but I'm rethinking this now based on feedback I'm hearing regarding the significant head loss of the SCWDs and their instability.

What are the thoughts here on the SCWD config and perhaps instead setting up a 4-way OM squirt, or any other options? If I go with the squirt, what's the recommended setup? Do I use both the 3/4" and 1" in one overflow for drainage, and in the other Megaflow plumb the return through the 1" to the squirt and use the other 3/4" as a drain? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Rob

anthworks
11/23/2004, 04:43 PM
I have a dual overflow 150 that I have a sea swirl on one return and a regular return on the other (loc line). I have a big return pump (sequence) that pushes water to both. I really like the Sea Swirl and wish I had 2 of them.

Spyral74
11/23/2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks. Need to look into the Sea Swirls, but I really like the 4 outputs of the squirt for coverage. Anybody else want to chime in?

-Rob

HalMurray
11/24/2004, 12:29 PM
A Mag-18 may overpower an OM Squirt.

svb57
11/24/2004, 12:30 PM
Have you tried the forum boards on their web site? Will get alot of info there.

Spyral74
11/24/2004, 05:21 PM
I was planning on installing a bypass to avoid overdriving the squirt as recommended on the OM site, and to effectively serve as a fifth head. Also, looked at the forums there, but didn't see anything specific to drainage recommendation in a dual overflow setup. Will check again... :)

Perhaps another solution is to tee the return with a sea swirl on one side and the squirt on the other. Hmm...

Thanks,
Rob