PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any problems w/thier flame angels?

BeesGoneWild
11/23/2004, 01:06 AM
I was thinking about getting one or maybe a coral beauty, But id be extremely dissapointed if they nipped at my softies(which they are said to do). So anyone with a flame angel or a coral beauty please let me know what you think of them.

VoidRaven
11/23/2004, 07:02 AM
This is a pretty common question regarding both of these fish. If you do a search you will find lots of threads about this topic.

I currently have a flame in a mixed reef with no major problems. My softies are all ok, but fish are like people...each has a different "personality" and temperment even within a species like Flame Angels. Hence, mine may not nip at corals, and 15 other people may have Flames that don't nip, but you could buy one and it could nip. Same thing with Coral Beauties. From what I have seen, however, it would appear that a Coral Beauty is much less prone to nip than a Flame Angel.

I highly recommend the Flame Angel for their vibrant red-orange color. If you are looking to add more purple-blue color, then obviously go with the Coral Beauty.

Good luck in your decision!

Paul12
11/23/2004, 07:05 AM
I have both and have no problems. the coral Beauty seems to be a bit shy. Compared to the Flame. They have been a great addition to my tank. They leave my clams and polyps alone.

der_wille_zur_macht
11/23/2004, 08:20 AM
No matter how many opinions you get, it's still gonna be hit or miss for any given specimen, even if they're behaving in the LFS.

The only way to get a 100% reef-safe angel is to stick to the Genicanthus genus.

V4m8ION
11/26/2004, 02:59 AM
Hit or miss. I had one Flame Angel who was as peaceful as could be (Lost him in a power outage while on a business trip. Surprisingly, a majority of the coral survived). His replacement on the other hand was a nightmare.

Dell'Oro
11/26/2004, 03:13 AM
Love it, never given any of my corals any problems.

Jpizzle
11/26/2004, 04:00 AM
Flame angels are great, beautiful fish.

Unfortunately mine picks at my SPS corals.. but doesn't even look at the softies.

EvanH
11/26/2004, 09:12 AM
if you've got clowns, I'd got for the Coral Beauty. I always have thought that clowsn + flame is a little too much orange.

TimKND
11/26/2004, 06:34 PM
I have two clowns and one flame angel. No problems with them or the coral.